PDA

View Full Version : 2nd level freestyle?

kahjul
Aug. 12, 2009, 10:09 PM
We have gotten pretty comfortable at all the 2nd level movements and are schooling most of 3rd. I have come to the realization that my girl may not stay sound with the added collection as we move along and will probably tap out at 4th with a prayer. I would really like to do some freestyle with her at the highest level she achieves, whenever that is. Should I play with a 2nd level freestyle for the experience? How often do you see freestyles at the lower levels? Is it stupid?? It seems to me that playing with it now will only make it easier later, but...

Cincinnati
Aug. 12, 2009, 10:10 PM
Go for it. My trainer is currently doing 2nd level freestyles with 2 of her horses and having a blast.
She has done the freestyles at both rec and schooling shows.

horsegalriding
Aug. 12, 2009, 10:45 PM
My trainer did a second level freestyle on my horse and WON Mike Matson's YouTube Contest "In Search of America's Next Dancing Dressage Star" last year. So, I would say - Go For It!

Cooper
Aug. 13, 2009, 01:09 AM
Check with SLO-CDS, they are putting on a freestyle clinic in October. Sorry I don't remember the clinicians name, but check with Ellen or Rebecca. It sounds really fun! Do it!!

kahjul
Aug. 13, 2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the good vibes all! Cooper, it's really wierd that we know each other-I keep forgetting that!!!

snbess
Aug. 13, 2009, 03:35 PM
I'd say go for it. One of our local riders is doing an amazing 2nd level freestyle that, so far, has beaten all other non-fei freestyles (the show does an fei freestyle division and a non-fei...so you have training through 4th competing with each other). Her music is great, the choreography is technically challenging and interesting to watch. You can do a lot at 2nd level. Have fun!

Mike Matson
Aug. 13, 2009, 05:52 PM
My trainer did a second level freestyle on my horse and WON Mike Matson's YouTube Contest "In Search of America's Next Dancing Dressage Star" last year. So, I would say - Go For It!

Here's the video of that winning Second Level freestyle. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afGCytYCbSE