PDA

View Full Version : Need a dressage trainer in SFV (L.A) area for Welsh Pony

Sparkling_Sunset
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:32 PM
Does anbody know a GOOD dressage trainer in the San fernando Valley area that wouldn't mind working with a Welsh pony? He's 7, around 14 hands, was originally trained by Kacey Sport Ponies ( with some kind of dressage foundation), and has been trained for hunters/been competing in the low hunters for the past year. (Not with me!) I had a bad fall off an OTTB hunter, and need someone who will work around my (incredible) fear. I'd like to get to Grand Prix in my lifetime (I'm 19). I don't think the pony I'm buying could go that far, but he's the only equine that I've felt safe with, so I need a trainer that both of us can work with, and preferably one that travels, as I don't have a big budget and the facility I'm thinking of doesn't have any trainers. Does anyone have experience with Susann Regalmuto, LJ Banks, Carin Bannos or Erin Vallarino, or do you have someone you can recommend that has had their students place well, progress through the levels, and is kind to the horses (and their owners???) If they are in Ventura County or the SCV, that is okay too (I live in North Hollywood near Burbank). Please help!

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 13, 2009, 03:14 PM
Can you clarify if you are looking for an itinerant trainer or not? Are you looking for a trainer to come to you, or for a barn to move to that has a good trainer?

Sparkling_Sunset
Aug. 13, 2009, 05:41 PM
Can you please clarify what you mean by "itinerant trainer?" And as for the second half, either one. I'm not boarding anywhere yet, so I'm still open to suggestions. But I can't afford someplace like Middle Ranch or the like (which is about $750 for board), so please keep that in mind.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 13, 2009, 06:04 PM
Itinerant meaning someone who doesn't have their own facility, they just travel. I know of only one, and her name is Flora Jean Weiss. She lives out in the Sunland area.

Kristina Harrison is at the Paddock. She has a daughter who shows her pony 3rd level, so she's trained a pony or two. Her barn is called Angele Farms.

The other person I think you might like is Hilda Gurney. For a BNT, her barn is very down-to-earth, her training rates are reasonable, and I have seen ponies in training with her (lots of Arabians). She is in Moorpark at Keenridge.

My friend rides at the LAEC and is very happy with her trainer. they board in the funky corrals, a very quiet corner of the place. I will have to get her trainer's name, it's Michelle something.

That's a start!:)

SBrentnall
Aug. 13, 2009, 07:22 PM
I can't help with the pony trainer section, but I've been researching barns in the last two weeks because my trainer's leaving, and the average board at a dressage facility is $650-$750, with some going to $850.

LAEC is cheaper, but the care sucks. They feed cubes instead of hay and during the years I boarded there, the stalls were never that clean and they often ran out of shavings.

If you're nearby and can visit each day and stay on top of that kind of stuff, LAEC may be a good option for you.

Sparkling_Sunset
Aug. 13, 2009, 07:53 PM
Itinerant meaning someone who doesn't have their own facility, they just travel. I know of only one, and her name is Flora Jean Weiss. She lives out in the Sunland area.

Kristina Harrison is at the Paddock. She has a daughter who shows her pony 3rd level, so she's trained a pony or two. Her barn is called Angele Farms.

The other person I think you might like is Hilda Gurney. For a BNT, her barn is very down-to-earth, her training rates are reasonable, and I have seen ponies in training with her (lots of Arabians). She is in Moorpark at Keenridge.

My friend rides at the LAEC and is very happy with her trainer. they board in the funky corrals, a very quiet corner of the place. I will have to get her trainer's name, it's Michelle something.

That's a start!:)
Oh. I'm looking for someone then, that has a facility to work out of, but will travel as well. Krissy Harrison's rates are a bit higher than what I could manage on a regular basis, though. And I used to ride at the Paddock, but, well let's just say that I don't really get along with most of the trainers there. (Though I've never met Krissy so I can't say that for her) Although that IS where I'd prefer to board--it's really nice there.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 13, 2009, 09:26 PM
Oh. I'm looking for someone then, that has a facility to work out of, but will travel as well. Krissy Harrison's rates are a bit higher than what I could manage on a regular basis, though. And I used to ride at the Paddock, but, well let's just say that I don't really get along with most of the trainers there. (Though I've never met Krissy so I can't say that for her) Although that IS where I'd prefer to board--it's really nice there.

I don't know how long it has been since you'be been to the Paddock, but David Schmutz sold it, and it has really been upgraded since then. Krissi has an assistant who might be more affordable.

Oakstable
Aug. 13, 2009, 09:51 PM
If Norco is an option for you, I know of a dressage trainer who is petite and would be very good at campaigning a small horse for you.

I can show you a photo of her on one of my guys who is 15.1H.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 14, 2009, 11:42 AM
My friend's trainer at LAEC is Michelle Willumsen. I'm not sure if it's kosher to post phone numbers on COTH, but if you PM me, I'll give it to you.

candico
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:43 PM
We don't currently have any openings, but you could trailer in or perhaps our trainer would go to you. I am right where the 23 and 101 meet and actually my neighbor might have stalls available although she doesn't have a "dressage" ring. Both our prices are quite reasonable...
The other suggestion is that if you really are having fear issues - is to find a trainer you are comfortable with that has an old bombproof schoolmaster that you could lease or just take lessons on so that you can learn all the "fun" stuff AND tackle your fear issue. It sounds like you haven't bought the pony just yet and on a tighter budget it might be the smarter thing to focus on quality lessons with a schoolmaster - although our hearts always lead us to wanting to own a horse/pony ;} Anyway, once you are more confident then look for that horse/pony that will be able to take you all the way to GP. JMO

kpony
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:48 PM
Sent you a PM.

Oakstable
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:05 AM
If someone wants to reach me, use email not PM.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 19, 2009, 11:20 AM
My friend's trainer at LAEC is Michelle Willumsen. I'm not sure if it's kosher to post phone numbers on COTH, but if you PM me, I'll give it to you.

My friend let me use her horse for a lesson with Michelle yesterday. It was fantastic, and evidently, she works with a barn full of fearful riders. I recommend her highly.