PDA

View Full Version : Grid and trot poles distances.

Beau Cheval
Aug. 12, 2009, 05:40 PM
I just got the opportunity to ride this really cute 14 year old TB. He's a great horse for me. However, he is a little out of shape. I really want to get him back into shape so we could do some pre-minis (2'6 medal/maclay division). My plan is to use lots of trot poles and grids. I was wondering if anyone had any tips of building up the hind end (what he really needs). He is a little stiff in his hocks so while being mindful of that, does anyone have ideas to include in his training program. He's comfortable and sound, just needs a little bit to loosen up. Also, I pretty much know, but can someone list out the distances for trot poles vs. cavalettis and grids? Really appreciate it =)

Wonders12
Aug. 12, 2009, 05:47 PM
There's a book: 101 Jumping Exercises for Horse and Rider by Linda Allen. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0715324055/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1/178-6905918-7807358?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_r=1F2HPP0ZYX463NT2R22R&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=304485901&pf_rd_i=1580174655)It's a great book that goes all the way from circling over 1 poll to huge gymnastics and tricky courses. I highly recommend it. It will also help you keep things interesting.

doccer
Aug. 12, 2009, 07:02 PM
it's a science... lol :D

trot poles - 4ft
canter poles - 12ft
pole in front of jump - 9ft

if you're setting striding distances, 12ft for the horses stride... and add 3ft for takeoff and 3ft for landing. Bounces are set at 10ft (jump to jump)

Adjust the 12ft horse stride accordingly to inside/outside and size of horse as you go... make it as easy as possible for the horse to figure things out ;)

this is only the beginning... and it's ALL relative to individual horse :yes: have fun tho!!! it's fantastic fun :)

beesknees
Aug. 12, 2009, 08:13 PM
I found this somewhere and just added it to my list...I converted some of the distances into feet, but just be aware that some are in meters and some are in feet :)

Pole Distances
On average a horse will canter 3.65 meters with every canter stride and you need to allow approximately 1.9 for take off and 1.9 for landing when jumping from canter.
The distance in between poles on average is:
• Walk poles - 0.90cm apart. 3’
• Trot poles - 1.25 m apart. 4’
• Canter - 3 m apart. 10’
• One stride double –
o 5.5 to 6m when approached from trot 18’ – 20’
o 5.5 to 7.5 when approached from canter 18’ – 24.5’
• A two stride double - 11 to 14 m when approached in canter.
• Related four/five stride double - 18 to 25 m.
• Bounce from trot - 2.75 to 3.65 m
• Bounce from canter -3.65 to 4 m.

JB
Aug. 12, 2009, 08:14 PM
Trot poles - ENTIRELY depends on the horse's natural stride and what you're intentions are.

My 17h WB gelding needs 4'6" just to have a good working trot through them. 5' if I'm really asking him to work.

beesknees
Aug. 12, 2009, 08:17 PM
yeah, with the trot poles they can be anywhere from 4-5' for horses, I usually go for about 4.5' or a little less just to get him stretching and working forward because the 4' makes him a little choppy.

Eventer13
Aug. 12, 2009, 08:23 PM
I also do 4.5 ft for trot poles for the average horse. Trot him through and then adjust as needed. For more of a gymnastic effect, you can set up poles that are 6" less and 6" more than his "normal" stride, and run through all 3, so that he must shorten and lengthen.

I always thought there was a 6' takeoff and 6' landing when cantering a fence. Don't tell me I've been wrong all these years...

beesknees
Aug. 12, 2009, 08:39 PM
I always thought there was a 6' takeoff and 6' landing when cantering a fence. Don't tell me I've been wrong all these years...

yes I also think 6' is correct. which is why a one stride is 24 feet normally--12 for the stride and 12 for the landing and take off

Riley0522
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:34 PM
What is the proper distance for placing poles before and after fences?

klmck63
Aug. 12, 2009, 11:25 PM
Poles before fences are generally 9ft out. I assume poles after fences are the same but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure that it's 6ft for landing and takeoff as well. A 1 stride line is 24ft.

Jumper221
Aug. 12, 2009, 11:36 PM
\

I'm pretty sure that it's 6ft for landing and takeoff as well. A 1 stride line is 24ft.

If the horse is only jumping 2'6, I'd shorten it up a little, since they're probably not landing as far away from the jump. I also generally set my gymnastic lines on shorter distances than normal lines as I'm usually gearing towards teaching the horse to collect and rock back.

I second the recommendation for Linda Allen's 101 Jumping Exercises for Horse and Rider

Meredith Clark
Aug. 12, 2009, 11:43 PM
I'm SO bad at placing distances. I envy people that can just walk it out, place the poles and jumps and it rides perfectly!

so you guys are saying:

___ pole ____9 feet_____ pole _______9 feet_______ + 3 feet_ jump_+3feet

JB
Aug. 13, 2009, 02:41 PM
I'm SO bad at placing distances. I envy people that can just walk it out, place the poles and jumps and it rides perfectly!

so you guys are saying:

___ pole ____9 feet_____ pole _______9 feet_______ + 3 feet_ jump_+3feet

Wellllll mostly ;) Depends on how large the jump is.

8-9' is roughly the distance between a placing pole and a small jump if you're trotting in - about twice the distance between the previous trot poles.

If you're cantering in, 9' is a tight "bounce", but useful in the right situation. It depends on how tall the jump is. If it's tall enough to warrant a 6' takeoff (or more!) then the horse cannot land more than 3' after the pole.

I'm not sure what the last "+3 feet" is for though :confused

If you're cantering in, and it's not something teeny, plan on 12' distances - 6' takeoff, 6' landing, 12' stride in the middle, etc. If it's small, the horse isn't going to take off/land at 6' - 4-5' probably. If you trot in, the first canter stride on landing isn't very likely to be a 12' stride - 10-11' is more like it.