PDA

View Full Version : My frugal side will show but...

Tasker
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:10 AM
So my Pikeurs are showing the wear and tear of the summer. The tailor in town has repaired what she could. I have to bite the bullet and get some new, lightweight, hardwearing(!!) full seats.

I've always been a huge fan of the Lugana's & Mondega's but I am balking at paying $270-360 for a pair of breeches that will go out into the barn, do chores and carry hay and ride 5-8 per day.

So now I seek advice from those who might have tried some other brands...can the power of COTH help me seek out some suitable replacements?

(and if it would be better in the end to just cough up the $$$, I will)
TIA.

Alagirl
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:32 AM
LOL, I got a pair of Pikeurs, I bet they cost that much back - way back - when they where young. But they held on for 10 years I think, they were well used when I got them and I used them, in the barn, hay logging etc...they are semi retired now (because I am horseless) the seam on the knees need a bit patching....

The deal is, 350 is a bargain, layed out over the lifetime....

Of course, you can buy 10 35 dollar pants.... :lol:

GreyDes
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:47 AM
I LOVE my FITS. But, none of them are at the 10 year mark yet, so I can't tell you you'll get the same cost/year :)

ESG
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:50 AM
There are plenty of "economy" breeches out there, that will wear as well as Pikeurs. Personally, I love Ariats in all their forms, and have never had a problem with them wearing out unreasonably early. Romfh also makes some really nice breeches, and Trainer's Choice might be worth a look too, as their fabric is similar to the Lugana/Mondega. You just have to figure out what looks and feels good on you, and act accordingly.

Cosette
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:54 AM
I love Pikeurs - nothing else that I've tried fits me as well. My frugal side led me to buying them from here: http://www.amirashop.co.uk/acatalog/Pikeur.html?gclid=CKXdtLqUnpwCFRyfnAodUhd0iA

Please let us know if you find something you like as well as the pikeurs that doesn't hurt the check book quite so much.

GallantGesture
Aug. 12, 2009, 10:12 AM
My favorite lightweight breeches are the Tuff Rider Ribbed Low Rise breeches. They are not cut too low, the fabric is light weight and stretchy, and they are around $90. I also love the Ovation Euroweave breeches, for around the same price, the fabric is a little heavier and is smoother (so looks a little nicer in my opinion) but they still breathe really well. The third favorite, but a little more expensive are the Irideon Cadence breeches. SUPER comfortable (like pajamas!), and lightweight ribbed material, retail about $120. All 3 of these come with synthetic full seats, which I love (I have expensive Pikeurs I never wear cause I hate the feel of the leather full seat!), they have more give to them and can be thrown in the wash with regular soap as often as needed. I'm riding 3-5 horses a day and haven't worn out any of these... but it hasn't been 10 years. The Ovations I think I have had 4 or 5 years though, and they are still going strong!

I'm really excited I just found a pair of Tuff Rider breeches on sale that are a really pretty brown/burgandy plaid. Hopefully they hold up as well as the others, because they sure are nice looking! Got those for $45 :)

I also have 2 pairs of Kerrits lightweight ribbed breeches, and I've been disappointed. I don't wear them as often (don't like the fit/feel as well) and they already have stitching coming out.

Try some on though and see what fits you, they are all cut a little different and different materials feel really different.

3Hanns
Aug. 12, 2009, 12:29 PM
I buy my Pikeurs here:

http://www.classicdressage.com/acatalog/Pikeur_breeches.html

So much less expensive than US, and I believe if you are not in the EU, you do not pay the VAT...fast shipping too...if they have item is stock, takes 5 business days...

eponacelt
Aug. 12, 2009, 01:29 PM
Try Goode Rider breeches. I have several pair, and I wear them ALL THE TIME. They fit very well, and since I'm messy, they also hold up very well to regular washing. They tend to run about $160 a pair, but ToTD sometimes has deals on them, which is great.

ESG
Aug. 12, 2009, 02:30 PM
Too right, about Goode Rider - I can't believe I forgot about them. I have their white kneepatch breeches for my show breeches, and I love them. I also have an olive green pair for schooling that are nearly my favorite breeches, and they do wear like iron. And I've never paid more than $120 for any pair (but I'm cheap and buy them on sale only :winkgrin: ).

Ibex
Aug. 12, 2009, 02:35 PM
eBay!!!

There's a lady I bought a couple of pairs of Cavallos from... usually about $100/pair, and she carries Pikeur as well.

http://stores.shop.ebay.ca/Classic-Dressage-Marbella__W0QQ_armrsZ1

retrofit
Aug. 12, 2009, 02:49 PM
If the full seat patches haven't worn out, see if Elizabeth G or another tailor can use them in new breeches. That might be cost-effective for you.

Tasker
Aug. 12, 2009, 03:02 PM
Stop the ponies!!! There is a tailor who can replace the fabric part????? I have 3 pairs in circulation right now for everyday use and 2 need new knees...the local lady can't (won't) find similar fabric to replace the knees and is always concerned that a repair would 'show'. I'm all about recycling and have no pride in the schooling breeches department, so if there is someone who can mend these, I am beyond excited!!!

Thanks for the leads on the less costly places to shop.

For those who have used the Goode Riders - are they similar in fit to Pikeur/Cavallo?

samd
Aug. 13, 2009, 02:14 AM
I've had good luck with Equi Comfort. I've had a couple pairs of my breeches for at leat 4 yrs and am a working student so they get good wear and tear and have lasted.

JLC7898
Aug. 13, 2009, 08:13 AM
Try E-bay. I am sure there are some people who need to unload a pair or two of Pikeurs for whatever reason.Too short, too long, too small, too big, and the list goes on.

redhorse5
Aug. 13, 2009, 08:58 AM
I'm still wearing my Equissentials that I bought in 2001 or 2002. I can't remember. I've washed them in the washer hundreds of times.

I have a pair of Fits that I bought last year and they have not held up as well.

Equissentials will remake them custom sized for you if you send back the originals, using the old leather. Once they have your size measurements you can just reorder. They always fit. I wear these about 8 - 10 hours a day, even for barn chores. They are much less expensive and the leather is very soft and stays that way.

retrofit
Aug. 13, 2009, 09:22 AM
Stop the ponies!!! There is a tailor who can replace the fabric part?????

Elizabeth G offers this service on her own breeches. Whether or not you can convince her to do this on Pikeurs is another matter. But it's worth a try. After all, that leather full seat is the most expensive part of breeches.

She uses good fabrics too. I think she has access to Schoeller fabrics, among others.

JLR1
Aug. 13, 2009, 07:29 PM
Here's another European shop. I have bought everything from breeches to boots from them.

http://www.calevo.com/cgi-bin/calevo/process/locale/en_US/page/index.html

Carol O
Aug. 14, 2009, 08:19 PM
Im sorry. I am frugal. I don't own Pikuers. A Pikeur vest, yes. Got it used for $4.00. Yes, $4.00. If you even own these breeches, and you got them new (not while you were traveling in Europe) you are probably not frugal.:lol: You, my dear, may be a DQ.

Tasker
Aug. 14, 2009, 08:33 PM
Well, I might just be a real-honest-to-God DQ...and I am more than ok with that! :) But once you get a few too many rubs in the wrong places, you might find yourself craving the breeches that fit 'just right' and are would be fussy about how they are made and what they cost. To each their own...But would it make you guys smile a bit if I told you I am getting New(!!!) Cavallo full seats for $74???

In my mind, if I was a real DQ - my clothes would match my saddle pads, which would match each horse's custom bridle, saddle and perfectly clean wraps. And I would have someone to tack each horse, cool it out and tell me I looked perfect every stride. And I wouldn't be caught dead in a GPA...ever. Alas, such is not the case!

Oh well, off to a hunter show in the morning! (in my full seats and a polo shirt no less)