PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE Anne Gribbons & Morten Thomsen(WRONG) Selected as USA Dressage Coaches

ridgeback
Aug. 12, 2009, 07:37 AM
http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=2729

Anne Gribbons, an “O” judge who has represented the United States at small tour in the Pan American Games, and Morten Thomsen who represented Denmark in the 2000 Olympic Games, are being interviewed by the U.S. Equestrian Federation on financial terms of their agreement to be what will be described officially as national advisor, chef d’equipe and national trainer. In broad terms, Gribbons will be the advisor/administrative half of the combination, Thomsen the training component.

slc2
Aug. 12, 2009, 07:41 AM
Interesting. A driver, an eventer and a show jumper picked the new national dressage trainer. I looked at the new national coach's record, and I have to admit: I am truly puzzled.

ridgeback
Aug. 12, 2009, 07:43 AM
Interesting. A driver, an eventer and a show jumper picked the new national dressage trainer. I looked at the new national coach's record, and I have to admit: I am truly puzzled.

Well the high performance committee agreed.

slc2
Aug. 12, 2009, 07:45 AM
Yeah. :lol:

ridgeback
Aug. 12, 2009, 07:46 AM
Maybe he's a fantastic teacher? I don't think they could go with a dutch coach the training is two different. JMO But it sure is typical that USEF changes the rules half way through but doesn't tell anyone...looks like nothing has changed with USEF:(

slc2
Aug. 12, 2009, 07:55 AM
I can see having to change the criteria they had, because it wasn't reasonable. But not telling anyone or asking for submissions under the new criteria? Not good. And why would a driver, an eventer and a showjumper make even the first stage of selection? Why was there not even one dressage person on the first stage of selection?

ridgeback
Aug. 12, 2009, 07:57 AM
I can see having to change the criteria they had, because it wasn't reasonable. But not telling anyone or asking for submissions under the new criteria. Unconscionable and makes it look as if the selection process, shall I say diplomatically, lacks transparency.

Much of what they do lacks transparency that has been my beef with them all along. They do whatever they want whenever they want.:mad: Well lets hope he's good for U.S. dressage:D

slc2
Aug. 12, 2009, 08:03 AM
In the last big competition I could find for him, he finished fourth from last in a big international field. He is a horse breeder at present. I can find that recently he sold a stallion he bred, and that he has been involved recently in young horse competition coaching.

It says on his website that he has adopted methods from non dressage trainers, and does not believe in looking at horses 'with just 'dressage glasses' on', so I bet many here will just love him. I see no pictures with the horse's neck curled, so he could be extremely popular here. The curled neck cuts most of the Dutch trainers out, whether they do it a lot or not, and we can't afford any Germans, so there you are.

ridgeback
Aug. 12, 2009, 08:06 AM
In the last big competition I could find for him, he finished fourth from last in a big international field. He is a horse breeder at present. I can find that recently he sold a stallion he bred, and that he has been involved recently in young horse competition coaching.

It says on his website that he has adopted methods from non dressage trainers, and does not believe in looking at horses 'with just 'dressage glasses' on', so I bet many here will just love him.

Well many don't have to love him only the high performance riders:lol::lol: I know Haddad has ridden with him not sure about Blitz and you know Steffan was consulted and if he wasn't that is crazy.

slc2
Aug. 12, 2009, 08:15 AM
Perhaps the problem is the media which makes it look as if no one was consulted at all, and the decision was arbitrary and completely brainless, and describing William's role as 'rubber stamping'. The tip off might be referring to Robert Dover as 'spurned' and putting a big picture of him riding Kennedy, across the top of the article. Perhaps the article has a bias. I can't say I've ever heard any responsible jhournalism referring to a coach candidate that didn't get selected as 'spurned'.

DownYonder
Aug. 12, 2009, 08:20 AM
Thomsen is certainly a dark horse selection, but most of the big name candidates would have been a turn-off for some riders for one reason or another. Riders would come into training sessions with a big name coach with pre-conceived ideas about that coach, and same for the coach. Let's face it, most top riders have been exposed to each other in one setting or another - a clinic, a show, a sales deal, etc., and there is no doubt "bad blood" between some of them for various reasons. It would be hard to keep old feelings out of training situations. Thomsen is pretty much unknown, so can start with a clean slate. The article says the top riders were in a clinic with him in CA, so they must have liked him enough to give him the nod.

Another consideration is whether the contracts put restrictions on the coach's training/horse dealing activities. Most top riders/trainers are not going to put up with that, while Thomsen may have been willing to aceept the conditions. Also there is the issue of compensation - top, big name riders/trainers would expect a very hefty salary for this role.

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:40 AM
Well, that's just plain whack. :mad:

ridgeback
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:47 AM
Well, that's just plain whack. :mad:

Why:confused:

canyonoak
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:47 AM
Morten Thomsen has been coaching Catherine Haddad since she split with Zeilinger,and I think has done a good job with Cadillac and Haddad.

Truthiness
Aug. 12, 2009, 10:27 AM
i agree, ridgeback. thomsen may be a stellar coach and the best thing that ever happened to our team. but what about transparency? the federations (all of them) better get their sh*t together before they find themselves at waterloo.

Equibrit
Aug. 12, 2009, 10:36 AM
Probably the biggest thing in his favour is that he comes without baggage, and was probably the only applicant in that position.
His Olympics statistics; http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/athletes/th/morten-thomsen-1.html

canyonoak
Aug. 12, 2009, 10:49 AM
<< Probably the biggest thing in his favour is that he comes without baggage, and was probably the only applicant in that position.>>

egg-zackly.

Plantagenet
Aug. 12, 2009, 11:28 AM
after all this negativity following just the announcement, I'm glad Anne G. isn't afraid to tell folks to take a flying leap. does anyone doubt she will be able to represent the interests of the USA?

the folks on this committee are doing this for what?

fame and fortune? money? career advancement?

I don't think so.

The people I know on the committee are devoted to advancing US dressage. I know for sure that current and past HP riders were consulted. Some were on the committee and some were asked for their input as recently as last week. The committee members were exhaustive in their efforts to explore all possibilities.

So this is the best plan that our most experienced folks could devise. It is their best estimation of what will work for us.

I'd like to remind those being so critical that the only person who never makes a mistake, is the person who does nothing.

If it doesn't work, we can try something else.

In the meantime, can we at least have a little faith and give them some support?:yes:

Truthiness
Aug. 12, 2009, 12:17 PM
nice mouthpiecery, plantagenet. no one is necessarily complaining about the choices (i certainly think anne gribbons is an excellent choice); what is at issue is the midstream job revision and non-notification to applicants. the behind closed doors model of management is outdated thinking and should be relegated to the past.

DownYonder
Aug. 12, 2009, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I imagine that it probably became more and more apparent to the selection team as they worked through the candidates that it might be a good idea to go with a dark horse with no baggage. Most of the "usual suspects" no doubt would have elicited strong negative emotions from some of the selectors or high performance riders.

There is also the fact that Thomsen is Danish (i.e., not German, and not Dutch), so will hopefully not be immediately offensive to those who are firmly in the German or Dutch systems of training.

I am intrigued by his selection, and wish him great success. He has big shoes to fill, but this could be an exciting new era for American dressage.

Fantastic
Aug. 12, 2009, 02:57 PM
This will indeed be interesting. Maybe has been a diamond in the rough in hiding? Wishing him the best of luck and may be have a very fun and successful reign!

Here is his website:

http://www.dressagearve.dk/

Peace
Aug. 13, 2009, 07:39 AM
Good luck to U.S. dressage! I look forward to see how things work out with the new coach.:)

pophorse
Aug. 13, 2009, 07:43 AM
I cannot believe Thomsen is the new US coach.....
In any case good luck to him and the US riders, I hope it works well.
Mrs. Gribbons certainly is a great choice for Chef, a GP rider herself, knowledgeable, respected and well liked everywhere she goes.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2009, 08:35 AM
Apparently the HP riders approved him:D Only time will tell but that would be the case in any one they hired.

snoopy
Aug. 13, 2009, 08:49 AM
May I just throw this out there.....

Does the USA feels that in order to be taken seriously that it must hire a European coach? There are some super trainers in North America. It seems to me that there is the feeling that for anything to be of any "quality" that it must be european.

One must import their horses, their trainers, etc.

It seems that there is not credibility if it is "made in america".

Does anyone think that NA applicants were not ever going to be truly entertained for the coaching position.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2009, 08:55 AM
May I just throw this out there.....

Does the USA feels that in order to be taken seriously that it must hire a European coach? There are some super trainers in North America. It seems to me that there is the feeling that for anything to be of any "quality" that it must be european.

One must import their horses, their trainers, etc.

It seems that there is not credibility if it is "made in america".

Does anyone think that NA applicants were not ever going to be truly entertained for the coaching position.

Give some examples because I don't see it?

snoopy
Aug. 13, 2009, 09:20 AM
I cannot really site "examples"..but rather an experience of "import" good..."home grown" not so good.
Often you hear of breeders who are dismayed that they have wonderful quality stock yet people still look outside of america for a horse.
On this board you have questions of where is the best cost effective places to shop for warmbloods in europe.
There is no denying the fact that there is some "cashe" when one has a euopean trainer.

My post was sort of a general question about perception.

Does anyone feel that unless everything to do with dressage is "european" that it not of the same quality and standard.

I remember when Debbie MacDonald first went over to Europe to compete that the press was not kind to her...calling her an Idaho housewife, some of the top riders did not even acknowledge her presence.

So what I am asking is that unless one speaks/trains with an accent, or the horse is not from europe, etc...is the perception here and abroad that it of lesser quality and not taken seriously.

There are many in the dressage community (according to some press reports) who are dismayed at the choice of coach. It got me thinking that maybe HP riders and committees are of the same feeling perhaps that they are not yet confident with home grown talent and that a European coach is the only thing they will accept.

Just thinking out loud.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2009, 10:12 AM
What I have found is your money goes farther in Europe. I have a friend who has bought 25-30 hunter/jumpers in Europe. In a two hour radius you can see a hundred horses and the same horse here would be me much more.

Equibrit
Aug. 13, 2009, 10:13 AM
I think it has more to do with the "baggage" that a trainer brings with them when they have been involved in the politics and like/dislikes of a particular competitive community. A trainer from Europe is a lot less likely to have "baggage" that would affect American high performance riders. (eg; Yogi Breisner being appointed to the UK eventing team) He is more able to demonstrate impartiality.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that in the USA there is "cache" attached to an accent, however, I don't think that this is the case here.

fiona
Aug. 13, 2009, 12:34 PM
Morten Thomsen has been coaching Catherine Haddad since she split with Zeilinger,and I think has done a good job with Cadillac and Haddad.

She rode brillantly at Hickstead on Cadillac - i didn't realise she had split with Zeilinger - she looked really on top of her game and very happy in what she was doing, as did the horse.

Yogi Briesner has been in the UK for eons he would come with as much baggage or as little as the next man. The fact that he's Swedish is neither here nor there!

Pommederue
Aug. 13, 2009, 12:55 PM
What I have found is your money goes farther in Europe. I have a friend who has bought 25-30 hunter/jumpers in Europe. In a two hour radius you can see a hundred horses and the same horse here would be me much more.

A little off subject but so true! Youtube has been great to view videos of horses for sale in the US. Now you can see a 50K horse in small, mid-west town, that otherwise would not have received the same exposure. However, for 50K, I'm going to Europe...where I can see 50 horses for for 15K to 50K.

I understand and agree with Snoopy also.

Surviving the Dramas
Aug. 13, 2009, 06:42 PM
This is really REALLy off topic, but PMSL - he was beaten at the Sydney Olympics by NZ's only entry!

YAY NZ!!! (I only point this out as NZ always feels so left behind in the dressage world... which is probably true :sigh:)

I wish him the best of luck. There are some people that are better instructors than they are riders. His successes with Haddad also go in his favor.
We can only judge him on his successes with THIS team though I believe.

And I'm happy that Anne Gribbons is in there too...

HereForTheFun
Aug. 13, 2009, 06:54 PM
I did see this on the Practical Horseman magazine website...

http://equisearch.com/equiwire_news/nancy_jaffer/anne_gribbons_dressage_coach_081309/

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2009, 07:20 PM
I did see this on the Practical Horseman magazine website...

http://equisearch.com/equiwire_news/nancy_jaffer/anne_gribbons_dressage_coach_081309/

Interesting I was wondering why they hadn't announced it...Looks like the press jumped the gun on that one:lol: Will be interesting if she has what it takes.

Plantagenet
Aug. 13, 2009, 08:24 PM
I'm not going to share~

well, at least we'll know who's in charge

Plantagenet
Aug. 13, 2009, 08:25 PM
remember she hasn't signed the contract yet.

there may be more demands....

DownYonder
Aug. 13, 2009, 08:27 PM
Kudos to Anne. I think she will be a great asset in the dual role of chef and coach. I like the idea of Thomsen coming in as clinician. As said before, since he is a bit unknown, he will hopefully be more acceptable to the HP riders than some of the other big gun trainers might be.

canyonoak
Aug. 13, 2009, 09:53 PM
Let's see.

In recent interviews, Catherine Haddad has said that it has been Kyra K's partner (and husband) Richard White who has actually been helping her at shows, because Thomsen did not have time.

So it may be Richard White who should get kudos for helping Haddad and Cadillac of late.

AS for USEF and the Jaffer interview... it is typical of this organization that it EMAILED Robert Dover to tell him he had not been chosen (according to the Dover website); that it sees no reason to tell its own constitutency what it is doing or why; and thatits new website is even more poorly designed than the last one.

A touch of class indeed.

ridgeback
Aug. 13, 2009, 09:59 PM
Let's see.

In recent interviews, Catherine Haddad has said that it has been Kyra K's partner (and husband) Richard White who has actually been helping her at shows, because Thomsen did not have time.

So it may be Richard White who should get kudos for helping Haddad and Cadillac of late.

AS for USEF and the Jaffer interview... it is typical of this organization that it EMAILED Robert Dover to tell him he had not been chosen (according to the Dover website); that it sees no reason to tell its own constitutency what it is doing or why; and thatits new website is even more poorly designed than the last one.

A touch of class indeed.

Or maybe he helps at home????

slc2
Aug. 13, 2009, 10:49 PM
I read she was appointed chef d'equipe and technical advisor, technical advisor is not the same as national coach. As far as transparency this goes right along with what they said at one point, that they would not have a national coach.

nhwr
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:23 AM
Anyone who has lived to the age of majority has "baggage".

If the US team can't see its way clear to say that a given coach is the person they really need, they don't want to win badly enough :rolleyes:

canyonoak
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:42 AM
Let's see.

First: http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=2729

which announces that Gribbons will be chef d'equipe/technical adviser and Morten Thomsen will be national trainer. AT this time, the US has been looking at 14 serious applicants. These include Hilda Gurney, Robert Dover and Cindy Ishoy.

This news is reported this way in Holland, Germany and other news sources which have interest in top sport dressage.

Sub first: around this time, we heard the final three were Dover, Gurney and Christilot Boylen.

Second: http://equisearch.com/equiwire_news/nancy_jaffer/anne_gribbons_dressage_coach_081309/

In which Nancy Jaffer interviews Gribbons who announces firmly that she will be coach AND chef d'equipe. Now we have 11 applicants and the three finalists are Dover, Thomsen and Gribbons.

<< Jessica Ransehousen, a member of the High Performance Dressage Committee, said the Eligible Athletes’ Committee had wanted Morten to be the official coach, working with Anne, but she noted the high performance panel that made the final decision saw it differently.>>

Third: http://www.dressage-news.com/?p=2809

Here, we have 11 serious applicants,and the final three are again Gribbons, Dover, and Thomsen.

<< Following interviews held in Denver, the Eligible Athletes Committee, chaired by Sue Blinks, recommended to the USEF High-Performance Dressage Committee that Anne Gribbons be offered the position. At a meeting of that committee on Aug. 10, the recommendation was approved.>>

and,finally,we have http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/newsDisplay/viewPR.aspx?id=4730
in which we are told,

<< Eligible Athletes Committee, representing the interests of their peers, makes the choice about who they want to lead their sport into the future. The role of the Search Committee is to steward all of the parties through this process, and I am quite pleased that they have done this so successfully,” said Weber.>>

I guess this is what USEF means by transparency.

I just call it second-rate and stupid.
It pains me that our organization is so slovenly, so silly, and so poorly managed.
Our athletes deserve so much better than this and frankly, dressage in the US deserves so much better than this.

wbhorseusa
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:59 AM
Anne is the obvious choice for this position, and it should only be held by one person.

She is the only O judge, international competitor that we have that is currently competing.

Who else has shown on the international scene, owned a horse that went to the olympics (which due to an illness of hers, she could not compete in) and is now at the highest level of judging there is internationally?

It is absurd to expect her to "share" the position with anyone. Not to mention, look at the debacle of communicating the decisions coming out.... She is also a person who will bring clarity and definition... And not to mention better communication of what's going on.

Anne is, without a doubt, the most qualified person in America for the position.

My question though... What happens to her judging career?

fiona
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:58 AM

well whoever it is - they looked great!:) Maybe she deserves the credit?

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2009, 06:57 AM
well whoever it is - they looked great!:) Maybe she deserves the credit?

Exactly Fiona... considering since she no longer rides with Zeilinger she really doesn't have a coach. I hardly say credit goes to anyone but herself. Ok maybe a little credit.

slc2
Aug. 14, 2009, 07:27 AM
All successful elite riders get help from someone.

I suppose the above media blooper is an indication that equestrian media is not exactly reliable and factual at all times....

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2009, 08:39 AM
All successful elite riders get help from someone.

I suppose the above media blooper is an indication that equestrian media is not exactly reliable and factual at all times....

Oh I suspect it is kinda like our national news media it really isn't about the truth it's more about who can break the story first right or wrong. You are correct most elite riders occasionally have someone help them but I still think most of the credit should go to the rider. JMO

Equibrit
Aug. 14, 2009, 08:44 AM
Anyone who has lived to the age of majority has "baggage".

But a European's baggage won't be the same as an American's.
(for instance; he may not know who George Morris is.)

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2009, 08:57 AM

Everyone knows who George is:lol:

claire
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:05 AM

:lol:

Speaking of George Morris. ;)

On the H/J forum LaurieP had an excellent post on GM as the coach of our Jumper team.

Maybe, our Dressage team needs some GM!

He knows, FROM EXPERIENCE, how important attention to every detail is in the big picture. And he must have some kind of diplomatic skills, because he is able to make cohesive, winning teams out of VERY diverse riders with VERY diverse backgrounds and views on how to reach the cupcake.

He doesn't agree with all of their programs, but he is able to let them do their thing within his framework of going for the win. Do you understand how very difficult this is? Our country has gone from the iron fist of Bert deNemethy, to complete independence. Then, George has to pull all of this independence back together to form a team. I honestly can't think of anyone else that could do it.

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:13 AM

Speaking of George Morris. ;)

On the H/J forum LaurieP had an excellent post on GM as the coach of our Jumper team.

Maybe, our Dressage team needs some GM!

Plus he is as good as they are in the saddle:D

canyonoak
Aug. 14, 2009, 10:01 AM
Well, now we have at least one international team coach who has suddenly become available for clinics.

Who wants to be the first person to have a Morten Thomsen clinic...

Morten Thomsen--our latest ex team coach. He lasted all of one day.

I guess USEF dressage may be learning that it might be better if they put out a press release BEFORE leaking bits of news all over the place.

Don't blame the media--they reported "the facts" as they were given to them in interviews.

It is just a pity that USEF dressage once again (transparency you know) reveals itself for the silly,
mis-managed organization it is.

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2009, 10:14 AM
Well, now we have at least one international team coach who has suddenly become available for clinics.

Who wants to be the first person to have a Morten Thomsen clinic...

Morten Thomsen--our latest ex team coach. He lasted all of one day.

I guess USEF dressage may be learning that it might be better if they put out a press release BEFORE leaking bits of news all over the place.

Don't blame the media--they reported "the facts" as they were given to them in interviews.

It is just a pity that USEF dressage once again (transparency you know) reveals itself for the silly,
mis-managed organization it is.

I'm not convinced they were reporting "the facts" as they were told to them by the USEF. Maybe they heard things which is different from hearing it from the horses mouth??:confused: Although transparency is laughable.

canyonoak
Aug. 14, 2009, 10:30 AM
<<
I'm not convinced they were reporting "the facts" as they were told to them by the USEF.>>

No.
They were reporting facts as told to them by Jessica Ransehousen and others involved with USEF dressage HP and the search.

And because all this was done under such hush-hush (like we are talking the equivalent of creating the atom bomb) ,various pieces of what ACTUALLY happened leaked out, and made everything seem even stupider and more power and ego driven than it probably was.
If that is possible.

Roberta
Aug. 14, 2009, 10:37 AM
Thank you Ridgeback, you beat me to it.

Canyonoak, I respect many of your postings but I am amazed that you, as a journalist, are taking all you read as gospel.

First, in your above post (sorry, I am not smart enough to do that quote thing), you say that Christolot Boylen was a candidate, when in fact, the article you refer to says it is Cindy Ishoy. This is exactly how things get muddled up.

Second, in the initial report from dressagenews.com, the reporter uses very few citations. Again, as a journalist, I would imagine that you would question the authenticity of the information. I cannot find in that release anywhere that an official USEF person is quoted or cited. Perhaps you are younger than I, but in my journalism courses, we were taught that citation of information was important. We were also taught to stay away from 'emotional' words like "shocked', 'spurned', etc. if we wanted to present a balanced report to the public.

If you put together the information given in Nancy Jaffer's release, which has USEF citations and the official press release from USEF; I believe you will find the same story.

I know that you dispise all things USEF/USDF as I have read your postings here and on the international bulletin boards. I take exception to what you have to say because I know how many hours these people work - for free - to try to make things fair.

Roberta
Aug. 14, 2009, 10:37 AM
Canyonoak, cite your sources.

Glad to see you corrected your above post from Christolot Boylen to Cindy Ishoy.

torontodressage
Aug. 14, 2009, 11:38 AM
Can somebody explain to me why the US needs a coach or a chef d'equipe. :confused:

claire
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:00 PM
Eurodressage article that gives a bit less convoluted view of the selection process.

(with cited sources :winkgrin: )

http://www.eurodressage.com/news/dressage/america/2009/usa_chefdequipe3.html

The United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) announced that pending successful contract negotiations, Anne Gribbons will be named as USEF Dressage Chef d’Equipe/Technical Advisor through 2012. Gribbons will fill the role for dressage that Capt. Mark Phillips and George Morris fill for the Olympic disciplines of eventing and show jumping respectively.

The search and selection process to fill this role for the U.S. dressage program was exhaustive. It began in November 2008 when the high-performance dressage athletes met in Chicago, IL, seeking the successor to Klaus Balkenhol who had served as USEF Dressage Coach and Technical Advisor for the eight years ending in 2008. By recommendation of the High-Performance Dressage Committee, USEF Chief Executive Officer John Long formed a search committee and named Chester Weber to the Chair.

“This search was conducted following the same process that was used to place George Morris in his current role for show jumping. This model ensures that the Eligible Athletes Committee, representing the interests of their peers, makes the choice about who they want to lead their sport into the future. The role of the Search Committee is to steward all of the parties through this process, and I am quite pleased that they have done this so successfully,” said Weber.

Eleven applicants met the qualifying criteria. The Search Committee narrowed the field to three candidates. Following interviews held in Denver, CO, the Eligible Athletes Committee, chaired by Sue Blinks, recommended to the USEF High-Performance Dressage Committee that Anne Gribbons be offered the position. At a meeting of that committee on August 10, the recommendation was approved.

“We are grateful to all those who put forth the time and energy to this important process,” said Long, who continued, “The USEF looks forward to continue building a strong dressage program for the future, and we believe Anne Gribbons is the ideal person for this job.”

egontoast
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:06 PM
I'm confused, as usual.

Who is the coach/trainer? if that is not yet known, who are the contenders? How did Christolot Boylen's name get in there? Is Thomsen out?

Anyone know anything?

claire
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:09 PM
Can somebody explain to me why the US needs a coach or a chef d'equipe. :confused:

:confused: Why does any country need a coach or chef d'Equipe?

That is how the US chooses to structure their equestrian teams.

(The Show Jumping team seems to be doing quite well under George Morris in a similar capacity. :D )

Gribbons will fill the role for dressage that Capt. Mark Phillips and George Morris fill for the Olympic disciplines of eventing and show jumping respectively.

joiedevie99
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:13 PM
I'm confused, as usual.

Who is the coach/trainer? if that is not yet known, who are the contenders? How did Christolot Boylen's name get in there? Is Thomsen out?

Anyone know anything?

Anne Gribbons was offered the job. They are currently negotiating a contract. Morten Thomsen and Robert Dover were also brought in for final interviews, but did not get offers. It says 11 people who applied met the qualifications, so there are at least 8 others who applied but did not make the final round interviews.

**At least this is what the answer seems to be as of right now.

egontoast
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:30 PM
Anne Gribbons was offered the job. They are currently negotiating a contract. Morten Thomsen and Robert Dover were also brought in for final interviews, but did not get offers. It says 11 people who applied met the qualifications, so there are at least 8 others who applied but did not make the final round interviews

Well, yeah but aren't there at least 2 positions?

Isn't there a coach/trainer position in additon to the chef d'equipe?

Anyone able to clear up the confusion?

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:34 PM
Well, yeah but aren't there at least 2 positions?

Isn't there a coach/trainer position in additon to the chef d'equipe?

Anyone able to clear up the confusion?

Apparently not..Read the interview on equisearch...The link is somewhere in this thread.

ridgeback
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:35 PM
Eurodressage article that gives a bit less convoluted view of the selection process.

(with cited sources :winkgrin: )

http://www.eurodressage.com/news/dressage/america/2009/usa_chefdequipe3.html

Well yesterday she had the same thing Dressage-news did she must have changed or deleted it.

canyonoak
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:43 PM
Roberta, I have great respect for you.

No, I will not cite my sources. But I will say they are people involved in the search,etc etc.
And of course, I quoted from the Nancy Jaffer interview with Jessica Ransehousen, which was part of the Equisearch article.

And if USEF had just made the process a bit more transparent, all this silliness might never have come to pass.

I do not care if the US hires a coach, such as Klaus Balkenhol--who discovered that all the hats he was supposed to wear just could not fit on one head--or at least not his.

Or if the US follows the 'Dutch system' and has a coach to work with the riders and a chef d'equipe to deal with the press, the technical end, the observation trials, etc etc.

What I care about is that the organization move forward in a fashion that gives me hope that the big picture is being studied and that solutions are being debated and measured.

What I care about is that there should be some kind of overall strategy as other countries seem to be able to develop, such as the British model mentioned on another thread.

What I care about is that horse sport become a business sport in the US and continue to thrive. And by horse sport, I hope that includes dressage.

Equibrit
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:53 PM
USEF Press Release;

Anne Gribbons Named as USEF Dressage Chef d’Equipe/Technical Advisor

Release: August 13 2009

The United States Equestrian Federation (USEF) is pleased to announce that pending successful contract negotiations, Anne Gribbons will be named as USEF Dressage Chef d’Equipe/Technical Advisor through 2012. Gribbons will fill the role for dressage that Capt. Mark Phillips and George Morris fill for the Olympic disciplines of eventing and show jumping respectively.

The search and selection process to fill this role for the U.S. dressage program was exhaustive. It began in November 2008 when the high-performance dressage athletes met in Chicago, IL, seeking the successor to Klaus Balkenhol who had served as USEF Dressage Coach and Technical Advisor for the eight years ending in 2008. By recommendation of the High-Performance Dressage Committee, USEF Chief Executive Officer John Long formed a search committee and named Chester Weber to the Chair.

“This search was conducted following the same process that was used to place George Morris in his current role for show jumping. This model ensures that the Eligible Athletes Committee, representing the interests of their peers, makes the choice about who they want to lead their sport into the future. The role of the Search Committee is to steward all of the parties through this process, and I am quite pleased that they have done this so successfully,” said Weber.

Eleven applicants met the qualifying criteria. The Search Committee narrowed the field to three candidates. Following interviews held in Denver, CO, the Eligible Athletes Committee, chaired by Sue Blinks, recommended to the USEF High-Performance Dressage Committee that Anne Gribbons be offered the position. At a meeting of that committee on August 10, the recommendation was approved.

“We are grateful to all those who put forth the time and energy to this important process,” said Long, who continued, “The USEF looks forward to continue building a strong dressage program for the future, and we believe Anne Gribbons is the ideal person for this job.”

USEF News

egontoast
Aug. 14, 2009, 12:57 PM
:confused: Well yes that seems clear but still no one seems to know if there is still another position to be filled (probably - trainer/coach) and if so, who are the candidates.:confused:

I feel a bit like Alice on the croquet pitch even asking.

Equibrit
Aug. 14, 2009, 01:10 PM
Reading that press release would lead me to believe that The USEF did what they set out to do and all the rest of the blather is just that !

Capriole
Aug. 14, 2009, 01:19 PM
egon, I believe the confusion is because there was originally one position advertised: colloquially known as "team coach." Then this dressage-news.com article appeared, which suggested two positions and two people. Now no one seems to know what's going on. Unless the Ken Braddick article is just wrong? This is craziness. And very embarrassing for the USEF.

claire
Aug. 14, 2009, 01:19 PM
From EuroDressage:

No Official USEF Role Granted Yet to Thomsen. Gribbons To be All in One Chef

Much confusion has arisen following the news of the appointment of Anne Gribbons as U.S. Chef d'Equipe and Morten Thomsen as "possible" new U.S. team trainer. Different media published different stories, while the US Equestrian Federation itself had not yet released a statement.
As usual Gil Merrick, Assistant Executive Director of Sport Programs, came to rescue by clarifying the situation. No team trainer has been appointed and Gribbons will be a renaissance woman: chef d'equipe and technical advisor in one.

"The Eligible Athletes Committee conducted the interviews with all three final candidates: Anne Gribbons, Morten Thomsen and Robert Dover," explained Merrick to Eurodressage. "The Eligible Athletes made their recommendation to the High Performance Dressage Committee that Anne Gribbons be named as the full time Chef d’Equipe/Technical Advisor – the same position held by George Morris and Mark Phillips for their respective disciplines."

Since Gribbons will have the same role as George Morris and Mark Phillips, USEF has elected to give her the same title, so that it is consistent across all of the Olympic disciplines. Therefore USEF no longer has a “team trainer” within their Olympic disciplines.

"Ms. Gribbons’ appointment in her new role is subject to both successful contract negotiations with the USEF CEO and the final approval of the USEF Executive Committee," Merrick added.
At this point, no role has been appointed to Danish dressage trainer Morten Thomsen though an official function is not yet ruled out.

"The Eligible Athletes – after an extremely successful training clinic with Mr. Thomsen in California and a two-hour interview with him in Denver - also requested that the High Performance Dressage Committee negotiate a role with him to assist the US with their ongoing training efforts," Merrick told Eurodressage. "The High Performance Dressage Committee voted to accept both recommendations. Nothing has been negotiated with Mr. Thomsen and therefore no role has been designed for him at this point. The role and title for Mr. Thomsen are exactly what need to be worked out at this point and discussions will begin next week."

Coreene
Aug. 14, 2009, 01:22 PM
Well, I've never made a secret of having no great love for Robert Dover, but borrowing George Morris as dressage chef and Dover as coach would have straightened out so much bullshit. More Simon Cowell and less Up With People.

torontodressage
Aug. 14, 2009, 01:30 PM
:confused: Why does any country need a coach or chef d'Equipe?

That is how the US chooses to structure their equestrian teams.

(The Show Jumping team seems to be doing quite well under George Morris in a similar capacity. :D )

Yes but the show jumpers have a team, dressage is only SP.;)

claire
Aug. 14, 2009, 01:33 PM
Well, I've never made a secret of having no great love for Robert Dover, but borrowing George Morris as dressage chef and Dover as coach would have straightened out so much bullshit. More Simon Cowell and less Up With People.

:yes:

From LaurieP on the H/J forum about George Morris' success with the US show jumper's team:

He knows, FROM EXPERIENCE, how important attention to every detail is in the big picture. And he must have some kind of diplomatic skills, because he is able to make cohesive, winning teams out of VERY diverse riders with VERY diverse backgrounds and views on how to reach the cupcake.

He doesn't agree with all of their programs, but he is able to let them do their thing within his framework of going for the win. Do you understand how very difficult this is? Our country has gone from the iron fist of Bert deNemethy, to complete independence. Then, George has to pull all of this independence back together to form a team. I honestly can't think of anyone else that could do it.

fiona
Aug. 14, 2009, 03:09 PM
What I care about is that there should be some kind of overall strategy as other countries seem to be able to develop, such as the British model mentioned on another thread.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: :lol:

Good luck with that.
Although i suppose it makes marginally more sense than copying the Germans these days.:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Dame M. Dimblekins
Aug. 14, 2009, 07:32 PM
The Dutch are in transition.
The Germans are in disarray.

Anyone with experience has baggage. And ????

I am that concerned because you Yanks might not have what is required. Nevermind, it is all good for Emma Hindle.

ASB Stars
Aug. 14, 2009, 08:02 PM
Can someone explain to me how Ms. Gribbons is going to maintain the obligations of her FEI "O" Judges license, as well as act as Chef D'Equipe?

slc2
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:46 PM
chef d'equipe and technical advisor (NOT national team coach)

fiona
Aug. 15, 2009, 04:14 AM
I think the Dame is making a very good point.

Surely the biggest area of concern for the US team is what's going to happen when the Germans ask for their riders back?
They got Klaus - ok in a freelancy, timeshare type way but at least they know where he is now.
It's only a matter of time before they come for the others.

Meanwhile...it is all good for Emma. And Laura.

ridgeback
Aug. 15, 2009, 07:30 AM
I think the Dame is making a very good point.

Surely the biggest area of concern for the US team is what's going to happen when the Germans ask for their riders back?
They got Klaus - ok in a freelancy, timeshare type way but at least they know where he is now.
It's only a matter of time before they come for the others.

Meanwhile...it is all good for Emma. And Laura.

:lol::lol::lol: And why would Steffan leave the U.S. and his citizenship here? He's at the top he lives in sunny CA and has a great life. Why would he go to a FN that is so screwed up and on a witch hunt with their riders...Klaus used to be the German coach and they got rid of him:lol:

carovet
Aug. 15, 2009, 02:13 PM
I find the contrast interesting....

from usef....via dressage-news and quoted above

"Ms. Gribbons’ appointment in her new role is subject to both successful contract negotiations with the USEF CEO and the final approval of the USEF Executive Committee," Merrick added.
At this point, no role has been appointed to Danish dressage trainer Morten Thomsen though an official function is not yet ruled out.

"The Eligible Athletes – after an extremely successful training clinic with Mr. Thomsen in California and a two-hour interview with him in Denver - also requested that the High Performance Dressage Committee negotiate a role with him to assist the US with their ongoing training efforts," Merrick told Eurodressage. "The High Performance Dressage Committee voted to accept both recommendations. Nothing has been negotiated with Mr. Thomsen and therefore no role has been designed for him at this point. The role and title for Mr. Thomsen are exactly what need to be worked out at this point and discussions will begin next week.

from anne (via http://equisearch.com/equiwire_news/nancy_jaffer/anne_gribbons_dressage_coach_081309/)

“If I accept the position, I’m definitely not sharing it with anyone,” said Anne, whose job is the equivalent of the titles given to George Morris for show jumping and Mark Phillips for eventing.
At this point, Morten, who recently gave a clinic for high-level riders in California, has no official duties, according to Gil Merrick, USEF’s assistant executive director for sports programs. Anne seconded that.
“If he came and worked with the athletes, that’s fine and dandy. But he would be without any kind of title. He would be a clinician,” she said, noting she does not know the Dane.
"He was a surprise to me,” she commented.
“He’s relatively unknown,” agreed Gil, saying at the same time, “He’s a very savvy guy” who appealed to the U.S. riders with whom he worked.
“We don’t know what his role might be,” added Gil.
According to Anne, “He’s one of the trainers who may be invited for training sessions if the athletes decide it. If I do take this job, I will work closely with the athletes to see that we are all on the same page. It’s really about them getting the help they need and trying to work them toward WEG [the 2010 Alltech FEI World Equestrian Games]. We have to find a way to make that as successful as possible.”

Mardi
Aug. 15, 2009, 03:39 PM

OMG that's priceless :)

Mardi
Aug. 15, 2009, 03:56 PM
from usef....via dressage-news and quoted above

Sounds like USEF is hedging their bets.

If Ms. Gribbons' contract negotiations fall apart, Mr. Tomsen may be next in the door.

Interesting that the news about Ms. Gribbons new position came before a contract had been
agreed to and signed.

Not good.

slc2
Aug. 15, 2009, 05:24 PM
Gribbons is to be CE and 'technical advisor', NOT 'national coach'. A technical advisor is not a coach, they said eons back there would be no national coach.

As far as who accepts the contract and what positions we wind up having and who is in them, we have a betting pool.

S A McKee
Aug. 15, 2009, 08:16 PM
Sounds like USEF is hedging their bets.

If Ms. Gribbons' contract negotiations fall apart, Mr. Tomsen may be next in the door.

Interesting that the news about Ms. Gribbons new position came before a contract had been
agreed to and signed.

Not good.

USEF's press release does not mention Tomsen.
His name is coming from Dressage news, not an official source.

Peace
Aug. 15, 2009, 09:06 PM
USEF's press release does not mention Tomsen.
His name is coming from Dressage news, not an official source.

You might want to re-think that:D

"The Eligible Athletes – after an extremely successful training clinic with Mr. Thomsen in California and a two-hour interview with him in Denver - also requested that the High Performance Dressage Committee negotiate a role with him to assist the US with their ongoing training efforts," Merrick told Eurodressage. "The High Performance Dressage Committee voted to accept both recommendations. Nothing has been negotiated with Mr. Thomsen and therefore no role has been designed for him at this point. The role and title for Mr. Thomsen are exactly what need to be worked out at this point and discussions will begin next week."

Plantagenet
Aug. 16, 2009, 09:16 AM
that this storm was started by RD releasing Anne's name on his website before the USEF had negotiated a contract or issued a press release?

It looks to me like the eligible athletes committee made a recommendation and the HP committee didn't like what they came up with (despite it being almost unanimous.)

It's no secret that RD has some very strong supporters on the HP committee...

S A McKee
Aug. 16, 2009, 11:40 AM
You might want to re-think that:D

No I wouldn't.
Once again, you aren't quoting USEF, you are quoting a rag.
Maybe you should rethink taking your source as gospel.

Of course, some stories do come true but maybe waiting for official announcements works best.

ridgeback
Aug. 16, 2009, 12:11 PM
No I wouldn't.
Once again, you aren't quoting USEF, you are quoting a rag.
Maybe you should rethink taking your source as gospel.

Of course, some stories do come true but maybe waiting for official announcements works best.

I think quoting Gil is quoting the USEF:yes: If people involved in the USEF are leaking information don't blame the press.

Dame M. Dimblekins
Aug. 16, 2009, 04:14 PM
And why would Steffan leave the U.S. and his citizenship here? He's at the top he lives in sunny CA and has a great life. Why would he go to a FN that is so screwed up and on a witch hunt with their riders...Klaus used to be the German coach and they got rid of himM. Peters might seek greener pastures if he believed that USEF was more concerned about PC "baggage" than actual results.

ridgeback
Aug. 16, 2009, 04:18 PM
M. Peters might seek greener pastures if he believed that USEF was more concerned about PC "baggage" than actual results.

I would bet at 45 years old he's not leaving the U.S. for dressage or any other reason. He could be Chef in a few years:winkgrin:

egontoast
Aug. 16, 2009, 05:42 PM
He could be Chef in a few years:winkgrin:

I doubt that is a sparkling gold ring for many top riders.

slc2
Aug. 16, 2009, 07:41 PM
I seriously doubt it.

DressageCruise
Aug. 16, 2009, 09:00 PM
Please don't give him any ideas. He needs to be on the cruise first, then he can run off and do what he wants. :D

fiona
Aug. 17, 2009, 04:00 AM
Suddenly all that piracy on the high seas is making sense - they were all just practice runs for the next big crime!

y'gotta admire those Germans, they really are contenders.

Peace
Aug. 17, 2009, 03:44 PM
Suddenly all that piracy on the high seas is making sense - they were all just practice runs for the next big crime!

:lol::lol:

GetReady
Aug. 17, 2009, 07:13 PM

:yes::D:)