PDA

View Full Version : How to keep your top hat on?

austin
Aug. 11, 2009, 10:57 PM
mine is rather short and flew off in my last show in the extended canter. I am new to the top hat thing. I have the little stretchy strap but I would rather not use it. :)

Pony Fixer
Aug. 11, 2009, 11:13 PM
So the little stretch strap goes under your bun (if you have one). Also, in the women's hair section you can sometimes find these head band things that are thin (like 1/2 inch) and have a rubbery strip down the middle on both sides. If you put that round your head and your hat over, it helps by sticking to the rubbery bits.

Carol O
Aug. 11, 2009, 11:56 PM
I asked this once. Among the very helpful suggestions were:
Staples
Nails
Panty liners

Apparently, the panty liners were for real. Don't use the other stuff.

jcotton
Aug. 12, 2009, 12:16 AM
I have short hair so the elastic on the tophat doesn't work for me. My hat is the correct size. For insurance, I take a piece of duct tape about 5-6 inches, fold it upon itself and put that in the front of the tophat on the leather band. That keeps the hat on except for serious wind. I also heavily hairspray my hair, too.

Dressage Art
Aug. 12, 2009, 01:19 AM
Hat that is 1 size smaller. Forget the pain, at least it stays on!

PS: I like the idea of duct taping your top hat to your forehead :lol: probably better than nails ;)

Mach Two
Aug. 12, 2009, 01:24 AM
Slide a couple of straight hairpins into your sweat liner (go between the stitching, so the part of the pin with the angled end goes under the sweatband between it and the body of the hat) and capture some hair as you slide it in.

LD1129
Aug. 12, 2009, 10:18 AM
We hair spray my trainers head then stick it on. Usually stays put, although hers is a bit tight.

trooper345
Aug. 12, 2009, 10:50 AM
I also found that those little blue hat liners that are for sweating doing a good job of giving you some grip, they sell them at Dover for a few $$ for a pack of 5, better than having a panty liner attached to your head and they do a great job of keeping sweat out of your eyes!

http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-36249&ids=367419005

twofatponies
Aug. 12, 2009, 11:00 AM
This is what hatpins were for in the old days, I discovered (not that I wear a tophat, but for driving shows the hats present similar problems). Long hair offers more options for attaching hat to hair of course.

not again
Aug. 12, 2009, 11:47 AM
Don't laugh at the panty-liner idea. It really works if you do it correctly. If the hat is too round and your head is oval, you can put one on each side, sticky side on the hat.
There was an incident some years back when a fellow put the item in question sticky side to his forehead and then removed his hat for the salute.....:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Dressage_Julie
Aug. 12, 2009, 11:52 AM
There should be a flap around the inside of the hat, you can stuff a strip of sponge/foam in there, and that normally does the trick. Something like this: "Hat Fitting Foam - Sold By the Foot"
http://php2.secure-shopping.com/hawkeyetack/catalog/Hat-Fitting-Foam-Sold-By-the-Foot-p-2655.html

Roan
Aug. 12, 2009, 12:05 PM
Slide a couple of straight hairpins into your sweat liner (go between the stitching, so the part of the pin with the angled end goes under the sweatband between it and the body of the hat) and capture some hair as you slide it in.

Bobby pins work just as well, if not better. The rippling grabs the hair and holds more.

When I showed western I pinned my hat on with bobby pins. Even in speed events -- barrel racing, pole bending, pick up and so forth -- hat stays on. Works with long or short hair.

Eileen

Eclectic Horseman
Aug. 12, 2009, 12:18 PM
Variations of a "hat leash" or "hat retainer clip" are also useful.

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=2C69&dir_id=16178&group_id=16221&cat_id=16222&subcat_id=16223

mjhco
Aug. 12, 2009, 01:29 PM
Definitely hair pins through the sweat liner. One on each side.

merrygoround
Aug. 12, 2009, 02:24 PM
Having spent a fortune returning hats that had too low a crown, I accidentally walked into a store selling one made by Christie, and best of all it was on sale. "Voila", it fit. Never lost a hat, even though some serious bucks.;)

Guess there's an advantage occasionally to having a funny head. :lol:

Valentina_32926
Aug. 12, 2009, 02:38 PM
Just purchased my first top hat - here's what trainer and mobile horse supply (seller) told me

Put hair in a bun at nape of neck, take "string" attached to hat and wrap it around the bun, then put one of those pretty bun nets on the bun to make the look finished.

I did work hard (and found) a hat that barely budges when I put my head upside down and jump up and down (fits perfectly). I sure hope my riding isn't that bad that the hat comes off if put on my head properly. :lol:

Hope the description above works for you. My hair is shorter but still manages a VERY small ponytail.

raff
Aug. 12, 2009, 04:51 PM
Velcro, the stick on stuff, prickly side against forehead.Sorry, but i'm not joking :)

Gry2Yng
Aug. 12, 2009, 05:14 PM
spray that braiding sticky stuff on your hair, then put your hat on.

luckles
Aug. 12, 2009, 05:29 PM
I have thick, curly hair and no top hat wants to stay on when my hair poofs. I have found a solution...gel on hair to slick it down, elastic under bun, lots of bobby pins. My hat is SO tight I get a bruise on my forehead, but it does stay on. I have often thought of having some velcro surgically implanted in my forehead.

lstevenson
Aug. 12, 2009, 05:49 PM
Bobby pins through my hair and hair net and onto the inner lining of the top hat.

BaroquePony
Aug. 12, 2009, 06:11 PM
There was an incident some years back when a fellow put the item in question sticky side to his forehead and then removed his hat for the salute..... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

So, its not JUST crazy people that run around wearing their underwear on their head .... :lol:

Dressage Art
Aug. 12, 2009, 07:51 PM
If the hat is too round and your head is oval,...Put your hat between your knees and gently squeeze for 10 minutes before the class. It re-shapes the hat just a tad and works great for a day... then the hat goes back to the perfectly round circle for round sculls of Martians.

austin
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:35 PM
For the class after my hat flew off. Used it under my chin like what my husband calls a "stampede strap" on a western hat.

I bet the Judge got a good laugh out of that.

Mach Two
Aug. 13, 2009, 12:46 AM
Bobby pins work just as well, if not better. The rippling grabs the hair and holds more.

When I showed western I pinned my hat on with bobby pins. Even in speed events -- barrel racing, pole bending, pick up and so forth -- hat stays on. Works with long or short hair.

Eileen

Yes...bobby pins ...that was the word that I was thinking when I typed hair pins...bobby pins work best.;)

austin
Aug. 13, 2009, 12:11 PM
No risk of a stampede at a Dressage Show.

:)

Jealoushe
Aug. 14, 2009, 09:54 AM
definitly panty liners on the inside, until it's snug!