PDA

View Full Version : Show Pics from this weekend and a ?

LuvMyDressageQH
Aug. 11, 2009, 12:05 PM
So I had a schooling show on Sunday and my dad and boyfriend took some pictures... The ones from the outdoor ring (me and my QH, Training 3 & 4) came out well, even though it was cloudy. For example, an actual honest to goodness effort on the stretchy circle :eek: here:

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww247/tagsstreakinjet/Henry/?action=view&current=DSC_0122.jpg

Indoors, I was riding a barn-owned 6yo who they hope will become a solid lesson horse. We did Intro A & B and the pictures came out... welllllll :no:

I *really* wish they had actually come out, because some of them would have made great gifts for the BO - like these:

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww247/tagsstreakinjet/Toby/?action=view&current=DSC_0024.jpg

http://s724.photobucket.com/albums/ww247/tagsstreakinjet/Toby/?action=view&current=DSC_0026.jpg

Any tips for getting decent pics in an indoor? My dad said he knew not to use the flash, so as not to scare the ponies.

ThreeFigs
Aug. 11, 2009, 02:08 PM
First thought that came to mind: faster shutter speed.

I don't know what kind of camera he was using, but there's usually a setting for action/sports pictures. The outdoor pictures looked just fine, as you had enough light.

But I'm an amateur with a camera -- I hope a pro or a serious hobbyist checks in.

Cute, cute horses, by the way. Y'all look good!

rabicon
Aug. 11, 2009, 02:17 PM
Flash is your safe bet. My hubby uses flash on me in the indoors, my horse isn't bothered by it and its me riding if he is not someone we don't know.

LuvMyDressageQH
Aug. 11, 2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the replies so far! Anyone else's horse sensitive to the flash?

Beasmom thanks for the compliments :) I'm proud of the progress both of these horses have made from skittish giraffes to more polished ponies :lol:

The camera in question is a digital Nikon, I'm not too familiar with the mechanics of it either. My dad's comment was that he had to use a longer lens to get better shots, but that a shorter lens would have had better light sensitivity. Maybe I will just have to get him to come out and do a photo shoot outdoors!

eesterson
Aug. 11, 2009, 03:37 PM
Hi,
I occasionally photograph local shows in our terribly dark indoor arena. Dressage riders generally don't want me to use the flash--this is what I've figured out:

1) Crank the ISO way up--1600 or higher--you'll get "noise"--i.e. some pixelation, but the photos will be sharper.
2) Do you know what lens he's using? You'll need "fast glass"--i.e. something that has an aperture of 2.8 or 2.0 or even, well, 1.8. These are expensive lenses but make all the difference in the world.
3) Open up the camera as much as possible--i.e. shoot at 2.8. For this kind of photography, dad's going to have to move the camera out of "auto" mode.

Hope this helps.

ExtravagentEventer
Aug. 11, 2009, 09:53 PM
So my pony looks almost identical to your guy! Same star and coloring...is your guy a red dun too? Nice job w/ him :)

LuvMyDressageQH
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:13 AM
ExtravagentEventer, yes he is a red dun, complete w/ stripe! How cool :cool:

He is 15hh (well just barely ;)) so I call him a horse and his feelings don't get hurt. He used to be a trail horse, and they called him Rusty (ick). 5 years later he is doing well in dressage, trying to stretch out that short neck and use his back lol.

Does your pony jump? Mine doesn't have the best legs so we rarely attempt it but I would love to get back into it.