PDA

View Full Version : Seat of saddle question

Rival
Aug. 10, 2009, 10:26 PM
Can stuffing or foam be added to the seat of a saddle? I have a Prestige 2000 D (I think) and the blocks are nice and soft but the seat is like a rock. I know you can buy pads for the outside but can a saddle fitter add stuffing to the inside?

ThreeFigs
Aug. 10, 2009, 11:35 PM
I'd bet it will be expensive. Do you have a local saddle fitter to ask?

goeslikestink
Aug. 11, 2009, 04:04 AM
you have to go to a saddle fitter to have it flocked which should be done at least once a year

ThreeFigs
Aug. 11, 2009, 11:37 AM
GLS, she's talking about the seat of the saddle, not the panels. Yes, the panels of the saddle need to be attended to at least once a year as you say, but the seat is a different thing. I know from talking to saddle fitters that replacing a worn or torn seat is complicated and expensive. Don't know about adding padding to the seat. I imagine it's much like replacing the seat.

Ask a saddle fitter and while you're at it, have the flocking checked.

vbunny
Aug. 11, 2009, 05:43 PM
Boy, I wish. I have a Pariani with hands down the best balance of any saddle I have ridden in that is hard as a rock. It's so hard that I rarely chose to ride in it any more, which is really really sad. I have tried to add foam pads to the top of the seat and I found that it changed the balance and the feel of the saddle enough that I took them off and suffer instead so I'd be concerned about that happening if you had padding adding under the leather of the seat too. I'd want to be very careful to find out how they were going to do it before I committed. The best I have found it to put a natural sheepskin seat saver on it. It still feels the about the same and there is a little bit more softness. That said... if you get it done and you love it let me know. I'd love to do more with mine too.

merrygoround
Aug. 11, 2009, 06:10 PM
:lol: :lol: Common Pariani complaint.

I doubt it can be remedied except at great expense. Easier to order a new custom from maker. ;)

vbunny
Aug. 11, 2009, 06:58 PM
Well, I don't think I can do that any time soon. Still LOVE the saddle, hard or not. I don't know if they are all like this or it's just this particular style but it has such a good balance that it's almost startling. It's not just me that notices either. I have had friends borrow it and say the same thing.

pintopiaffe
Aug. 11, 2009, 11:11 PM
go look at ridergrip.com

For me, when I first started riding in the slick-and-hard-as-glass Ancient Passier, it gave me just enough cush and grip. It feels like Thinline for the rider. It's not CUSHY like sheepskin, but absorbs some shock, like thinline, so makes the seat more comfortable.

I use it far more forward than their pictures show though. Right under the crotch, up onto the waist of the saddle, so the padding is more under the seatbones.

broughton_sporthorses
Aug. 11, 2009, 11:15 PM
Maybe just when you are riding in it at home, put a sheepskin cover over it, then take it off for competitions.

slc2
Aug. 12, 2009, 06:42 AM
Most people don't get their saddle reflocked once a year. And I don't think it is necessary. If the saddle is well maintained, of good materials and fits the horse, the panels should not need such frequent attention.

Then it would be all slippery at the show. I don't think that would work. In fact, if the leather really is slippery and hard, the saddle cover will slip on it too. An old trick we used to use was to wear leather full seat breeches, and put stickum on them and the saddle.

If the seat of the saddle is hard, it can be for a couple reasons.

One, the leather needs to have the fat and oil that's a natural part of leather, replenished. There are a couple really good saddle care products, but I'd avoid ones with soap or incorrect pH, as they dry out leather. I think Verhan has the best saddle care products on the market, one of their conditioners even has an anti-fungal/mold ingredient. I think first using their cleaner and then a conditioner to replace the fat and oil of the leather, can help that.

The idea of 'grippy' leather (and of thigh blocks) is that you can relax the 'holding' muscles of your leg, and have a very soft leg that wraps easily around the horse. So well conditioned, not hard, slippery leather, helps you ride better.

Two, the straps under that leather, that support the seat of the saddle have stretched and settled over time so the saddle seat is no longer properly supported. That's got to be fixed by a saddler. If that were the problem, I might look for a used saddle that fits me and my horse instead...at the very least because the saddle might be at the saddler's for quite some time getting fixed.

pintopiaffe
Aug. 12, 2009, 10:52 AM
I found the two Prestiges I had to be similar to the old Passiers, Crosbys, Whitmans and Stubbens. Just slick and hard.

Cushy seats are a new thing.

For slip, simply rubbing a dry glycerin bar on the seat makes it grippier. A product called Pow'rTac is sold at sporting goods places for baseball and is way cheaper than 'saddle grip' products and will not harm the leather. Costs about half for the same product.

For me, I used to use a seatsaver in winter for warmth. Problem being when Spring rolled around and I took it off, I was all over the place and felt like I was swimming in the saddle. The feel is SO different as to be problematic if you're using it daily and want it off for showing.

Seriously, for less than $20, the rider grip is worth a try. ;)

I did try a Heather Moffett Seatbone Saver when I was having a really bad time with my hip. It is memory foam covered with suede, and is absolutely AWESOME. But not show legal. And again, makes the feel so different as to be problematic if you're showing and have to remove it. JMO. YMMV.

dq for life
Aug. 12, 2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, it can be foamed in the seat. But it depends on how much "extra" leather is sewn in around the seam line on the cantle where the cantle meets the panels.
I had extra foam added to the seat of one of my Regals when it seemed to loose, or big for me. Plus, that way it sat me up more, vs me wanting to roll my pelvis back.

ThreeFigs
Aug. 12, 2009, 12:23 PM
In addition to the very good suggestion regarding applying glycerine saddle soap to the seat, there's a beeswax based German product that will make leather nice and sticky, too. Bienenwachs? It's at the barn and I can't check my spelling...

vbunny
Aug. 12, 2009, 06:10 PM
I'll check the rider grip out. Thanks for posting it.

My saddle's seat has not stretched out, it's the same as it ever was - rock freakin' hard. Still love it.