PDA

View Full Version : Yes, Virginia, there IS a saddle fairy!

pintopiaffe
Aug. 10, 2009, 06:30 PM
:lol:

I have been BURSTING to brag about this, but was afraid I'd jinx it.

After almost 3 years of wading through daily saved-search Email on Ebay, not to mention periodical searches of all the known consignement shops, the week before I lost my job I found a twin to my Ancient Passier on Ebay. It was posted in the wrong category--under CC saddles. Also posted as a regular tree. But excellent photos revealed it was a #5 tree, VD. 18.5". Which is a schootch too big, but it's EXACTLY what The Ancient Passier is, so I know it DOES work. (and I actually think the extra size is part of why His Princeness approves.)

Beautiful condition in the photos. A couple dings, but just cosmetic.

I put in the opening bid of $350. Then I found out about the job. I gazed at and drooled at that Passier every day of the looong auction. I wondered if I should retract. No one else bid. At the last minute I panicked--I knew I would just be devastated if someone else sniped it for only a *little* more. I had extra lessons booked and many shifts of my PT job, so in a moment of weakness, I upped my original bid to $450. I simply couldn't justify any more knowing I was about to be unemployed--and yet, knew the odds of ever finding another were so awful, I HAD to suck it up...

And then I held my breath. And woke up the morning after the auction, and had won it for the opening bid. :eek: :D :cool: :D

Took a couple days to transfer the $$ to the paypal acct. Then a couple for the lovely seller to ship... but I had no tracking #. So I've been holding my breath nightly for the Big Brown truck, which comes around 17:30 - 18:00.

Tonight I was sitting here waiting for the t-storm to roll in (and hopefully out!) and I heard the squeal of UPS brakes. (we all know that sound, don't we. :winkgrin: )

And she's here...

And I have to go to confession now for stealing, because I STOLE her. So little use as to be practically new. Aesthetically stunning, in a beautiful chestnut smooth leather... Appears to be almost identical, though the flap is 1" shorter than The Original Ancient Passier--which is a GOOD thing as that is a longish flap for shortish me. It doesn't even appear to need restuffing--seriously, I don't think it's been used more than a handful of times in it's life, though it's SN indicates it is in fact a very close relative to my 23yo.

I'm sitting here SOOOO impatient for Mother Nature to get over with her tantrums out there so I can go TRY IT!!! Just quickly sitting it on The Princeness & The Pea sans pads etc., it appears slightly narrower--though the stuffing is really full and stiff, and The Original Ancient Passier has been redone by Sue Schurer to be pouffy soft panels. And of course, that's without it having been used in years. Girthed up and sat upon, it may not need any adjusting... we'll see.

So have FAITH those of you in Saddle Purgatory. Persevere! Worship daily at the Saved Search, and bookmark Pelham, Trumbull Mtn, Buck's County, Rick's, all those others... and of course Craig's List. Be persistant. Don't give up!

There is HOPE! There is! There IS!

(Now, thunder BEGONE so I may go play! Puhleese??? )

stryder
Aug. 10, 2009, 06:36 PM
I can tell that you are totally verklempt!

I'm so pleased for you, and hope his Princeness approves.

forestergirl99
Aug. 10, 2009, 06:42 PM
CONGRATS!!!! :D I think we need some pictures of this awesome saddle!!! :yes: :winkgrin:

Ambrey
Aug. 10, 2009, 06:45 PM
CONGRATS!!!! :D I think we need some pictures of this awesome saddle!!! :yes: :winkgrin:

:yes::yes:

buck22
Aug. 10, 2009, 08:11 PM
omg, its finds like this that makes it all worthwhile! and the reason I've gone through the amount of saddles I've gone through... and I share your phobia about jinxing by talking about a find before it arrives! :) I absolutely stole my most favorite saddle in the world... STOLE it, I was the only person on ebay that week that had any clue what it was. And it fits my horse and fits me, and I couldn't be happier with it. And it came from the UK and took 5 agonizing weeks to get to me and I couldn't breathe a word to anyone for fear I'd jinx it :) haha.... soooo sooo happy for you!

HollysHobbies
Aug. 10, 2009, 09:36 PM
Pintopiaffe--Congrats, congrats! I had a Baum I traded away this weekend--had it for over a decade. It's such a simple, correct saddle. So many saddles I sit in are like "HECK NO! I can't ride in this" The Baum let you do your thing...not helping you, but not hurting you...just supporting you."

I'm out in world, still searching for the perfect fit for me and my horse.

Luc Childeric is as close as I've come!

FriesianX
Aug. 11, 2009, 08:48 AM
Congratulations! Oh, you have so many soul sisters listening and agreeing with your trials and tribulations of saddle searches! Yeahhhhh, hope you have a WONDERFUL ride today in your new old saddle!:D

paintlady
Aug. 11, 2009, 08:54 AM
Congratulations! I love those old Passiers. My friend has at PT Baum that is probably around 35 y/o now. It was the only saddle that fit my wide mare when I first bought her in 2001. I could only "borrow" it though when my friend wasn't using it. It was sooooo comfortable! I could never find one of my own - finally "settling" for a custom Albion for my impossible to fit mare.

Jleegriffith
Aug. 11, 2009, 09:25 AM
Not a dressage saddle but the saddle I needed. I had come to realize that I really did need a narrow jumping saddle in addition to the medium tree county I already had. I love the county saddles but needed the perfect combination of 18", narrow, skid row panels for these really narrow hollow withered Tb's and fairly good condition.

I am doing my daily cruise on ebay (really..I try to stop but can't) when I spot a county stabilizer xtr 18" narrow, skid row panels and brand new. $2k for a starting bid with no reserve. Now $2k is a lot of money don't get me wrong but the new version of this saddle would run me about $3500. I really don't have the money at all but talk to the hubby and he gives me the go ahead because I would eventually buy this same saddle down the road anyway so see what happens. Wait until the last minute and put in the minimum bid and then walk away to go ride because I am determined not to spend anymore than that $2k. Imagine my suprise when I get in and see I WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$1500 saved and the exact saddle I had wanted. Saddle arrives at it is in perfect brand new condition. I am an ebay addict but when I truly need something I just can't justify paying full price so I stalk ebay until I find it.