PDA

View Full Version : help need to find a really wide tree

t. nason
Aug. 10, 2009, 05:26 PM
Posting for a friend of mine. She is having a hard time finding a saddle to fit her wide WB. He has gotten too wide for the saddle she has. Her horse is so wide that the saddle fitter is having problems finding one for her. Thanks

Spyder
Aug. 10, 2009, 05:53 PM
I have a Laser 747 that is adjustable and w-i-d-e. I like it a lot for my horses that continue to expand. I also have an XW Albion Original Comfort that is wide enough for my widest Friesians so I know that at least the XW tree for that model is very, very wide. Trumbull Mtn sells Duett saddles that are made to fit XW horses.

pintopiaffe
Aug. 10, 2009, 06:06 PM
Wide with withers? Wide with no withers? Wide & Flat or wide and "A" or Pear shaped? That all matters.

Duett. Widest available for wide/flat.

Passier, Sommer & Prestige, buy the widest & widen--they are made to adjust quite a bit. Best for those with withers and scapulars

Niedersuss (sp?) No personal experience, but they seem to be a good fit for the baroque shape.

Black County & Albion both have models with "hoop trees" and that is what the saddler should be looking for.

The feeling to the RIDER of the above brand is COMPLETELY different. But at least it's places to start.

There's one more whose name escapes me at the moment... Saddler out of England. Trumbull carries his endurance and dressage I think...

ButterflyIris
Aug. 10, 2009, 06:41 PM
I have a Passier Relevant in XW for my Percheron X. (He is very round.)

Used Trumbull Mountain and they were extremely helpful and nice!

hoofy
Aug. 10, 2009, 09:05 PM
I bought a used JRD, which the JRD saddle maker fitted to my very wide horse. He loves it - no more bucking! And the seat was fitted to me, so I don't feel like I'm doing a split and I can actually get my leg on my horse.

Whitfield Farm Hanoverians
Aug. 11, 2009, 01:13 AM
I have am XW Steffen Peters Advantage, www.mysaddle.com , & it fits friend's horse that had to have a very wide Duett. It fits my very large Hanoverian well. Very comfortable & great quality at a good price.

camohn
Aug. 11, 2009, 07:19 AM
I have a Passier XW (GG) but they are really hard to find.....for the most part few saddlers carry the Passiers in an XW in stock/have to be special ordered and harder than hens teeth to find used. I finally did find a lightly used one on ebay (lady had sold WB and bought a TB) just about the point I was going to give up and have to order one. FWIW Trumbell Mtn DOES have one GG XW in stock since I spoke to them recently before I found mine on Ebay.

JB
Aug. 11, 2009, 07:40 AM
It would help to know what the horse has outgrown.

Width at the shoulders is only part of the package. If the horse outgrew a 37cm Prestige, for example, he's not going to do well in a Duett, no matter how wide, because their trees are much too flat compared to a Prestige.

County saddles go pretty wide, but again, without having anything to compare to, it's hard to say if that would be wide enough. You can get a Prestige up to a 39cm, but if the width is more at the withers than the shoulders, it may be the wrong shape.

pintopiaffe, the brand that TM carries that you reference, is probably Frank Baines. Yes, those can come much wider than the typical "wide".

mobilehrs
Aug. 11, 2009, 07:54 AM
I have one-contact me
www.mobilehorsesupply.com

Rival
Aug. 11, 2009, 11:51 AM
I had good luck with the Prestige after having tried every saddle sold in my area and was informed I needed to go treeless. If I had had time to wait for a custom saddle I would have gone to Hulsebos. County has a lot of tree and panel options, however since they didn't have a demo that could prove to me that they could make a saddle that didn't roll on my horse I opted out of it. The Childeric is pretty wide and seems to fit a lot of horses. Good luck in your search. While 90% of horses seem to fit into the off the rack stuff when you get one that doesn't saddle shopping becomes a nightmare.

mjhco
Aug. 11, 2009, 12:48 PM
I use a 37 cm Frank Baines Elegance on my WIDE bodied horse. It fits in the withers, shoulder and back. (He is not totally flat backed.) The saddle has been adjusted over the years.