PDA

View Full Version : Lendon's Youth Festival

CapitolDesign
Aug. 10, 2009, 11:31 AM
I cannot believe that there is not already a Dressage4Kids post on this forum!

If everyone had as good of a time as we did, I am sure there are stories to tell!

Congratulations to all the girls - in particular, Jennifer (as it was her first time at the Festival and she placed in all of her classes)!

Many thanks to the volunteers and sponsors for putting on a GREAT event.

Ltc4h
Aug. 10, 2009, 12:50 PM
The weather was perfect, volunteers PERFECT, everything just perfect.
Beautiful horses and riders
Met some new people, all of our horses performed great and the riders did well and learned lots.
1st time Training level rider placed first overall
Intro Rider with learning disabilities, placed 2nd in Written test
Intro rider age 10 under, placed second overall
First level rider, 12th overall on horse she's only purchased 1 month ago.

One of the very,very few bad things.
That one of the parents had a huge temper tantrum, and had an award taken away from an 8 yr old.
There is an award for the youngest competing rider.
In the last 6 yrs that I've been going, it has always been given to a rider riding training and above.
In the rules it didn't state that, it was assumed and understood by most of the rest of us, to be that way.
But this "father" made such an uproar and took the prize list to "prove" his case, that they took an award already presented from one Training level rider [8yrs old]to give to his Intro B daughter[6 yrs old].
I personally found that apalling and of no moral value to show his children.

I hate win @ all cost, especially when its called a festival, not a competition.
But in all a great time, we'll be back again next year.

mosmom
Aug. 10, 2009, 12:57 PM
We had 3 girls go from my son's pony club. I haven't heard from them yet to see how they did. Does anyone know when they will post the results?

freestyle2music
Aug. 10, 2009, 02:12 PM
If you had more people like Lendon in every area, the Dutch and Germans would have some real competitors in the future.

CapitolDesign
Aug. 10, 2009, 03:11 PM
If you had more people like Lendon in every area, the Dutch and Germans would have some real competitors in the future.

I COMPLETELY agree and was saying something like that on our ride home to Maryland.

Lendon's Festival was run like clockwork, encouraged real horsemanship and no one was allowed to behave inappropriately. Very good environment to bring children to and I already plan on going next year.

Dressage4Kids should be a model for every Youth Team Championships in the country.

freestyle2music
Aug. 10, 2009, 04:18 PM
I COMPLETELY agree and was saying something like that on our ride home to Maryland.

Lendon's Festival was run like clockwork, encouraged real horsemanship and no one was allowed to behave inappropriately. Very good environment to bring children to and I already plan on going next year.

Dressage4Kids should be a model for every Youth Team Championships in the country.

We have just ended the European Championships Junior and Youngriders at the grounds of the Royal Dutch Equestrian Federation at Ermelo. Since I have been sponsor of the Dutch JR/YR team for many years, it's wonderfull to see that "my boys and girls" from many years ago are now the trainers of this new generation. And when I see Marlies van Baalen or Imke Bartels riding at the Olympics I close my eyes and see them still riding on their small ponies.

As Isabell Werth stated in a recent interview about the future of dressage :
"we have to re-install the system where children go to a local farmer or a riding school to nurse or ride the ponies and horses instead of going to MacDonalds or behind their keyboards"

Theo

Bogey2
Aug. 10, 2009, 07:19 PM
We would love a report on the weekend...and the award for Judith Noone?

tja789
Aug. 11, 2009, 12:53 PM
The weather was perfect, volunteers PERFECT, everything just perfect.
Beautiful horses and riders
Met some new people, all of our horses performed great and the riders did well and learned lots.
1st time Training level rider placed first overall
Intro Rider with learning disabilities, placed 2nd in Written test
Intro rider age 10 under, placed second overall
First level rider, 12th overall on horse she's only purchased 1 month ago.

One of the very,very few bad things.
That one of the parents had a huge temper tantrum, and had an award taken away from an 8 yr old.
There is an award for the youngest competing rider.
In the last 6 yrs that I've been going, it has always been given to a rider riding training and above.
In the rules it didn't state that, it was assumed and understood by most of the rest of us, to be that way.
But this "father" made such an uproar and took the prize list to "prove" his case, that they took an award already presented from one Training level rider [8yrs old]to give to his Intro B daughter[6 yrs old].
I personally found that apalling and of no moral value to show his children.

I hate win @ all cost, especially when its called a festival, not a competition.
But in all a great time, we'll be back again next year.

I agree that it's generally very unacceptable for parents to have tantrums at shows. But in this case, the father appears to be quite right. If the prize list states that an award goes to the youngest rider and does not specify that the child has to ride at a particular level, then the 6 year old was the legitimate winner.

mosmom
Aug. 11, 2009, 01:24 PM
I just looked at the prize list and it does state that walk/trot divisions are only to receive certain awards and the youngest competitor is not one of them. They are only eligible for the awards with a # next to it. See below:

Special Awards

Highest score means the overall highest score of all three sections:

dressage, equitation, and written test.

[Walk/Trot riders are only eligible to receive awards noted by #]

1. American Connemara Pony Society Perpetual Award – highest scoring rider on a Connemara* in Dressage
2. Anflug-Eilers Perpetual Trophy – Highest scoring rider in the Equitation phase and Musical Freestyle combined
3. Big Ben Memorial Award - Highest scoring competitor aged 18 to 21 in the Written Test
4. Crown Juel Memorial Award -- Highest scoring rider on a mare in Dressage or Prix Caprilli
5. Fakir Rouge Perpetual Trophy – Highest scoring rider in an FEI Dressage Test
6. Festive Pandora Trophy – Highest scoring rider on a Welsh*
7. Finally Phantom Perpetual Trophy -- Highest scoring rider on a Thoroughbred*
8. Jacqueline Harris Memorial Trophy – Highest scoring rider on a Connemara*
9. Katherine Boyer Perpetual Trophy -- Highest scoring FEI Junior
10. Kitwell Consul Memorial Trophy -- Highest scoring rider on an Arabian* or Half Arabian*
11. Last Scene Perpetual Trophy – Highest scoring rider on an FEI Pony
12. Later On Memorial Trophy -- Highest scoring rider traveling a long distance competing on a borrowed horse
13. Lindekrona Memorial Trophy – Highest scoring male rider
14. Lindsay S. Jacob Memorial Trophy – Highest scoring first time competitor, aged 18-21, in the Training Level
Equitation Phase
15. # Maple Magnum Memorial Trophy -- Oldest horse or pony. (Leadline not to count)
16. Miss Jane Marple Memorial Trophy – Highest scoring rider with a disability
17. Orchard Hill's Andalusian/Lusitano Perpetual Trophy – highest scoring rider on a PRE, Andalusian or Lusitano*
18. Pikona Memorial Trophy – Highest scoring rider on a Hanoverian*
19. # Poise Under Pressure Award -- Competitor demonstrating poise and sportsmanship under adverse
circumstances
20. Russells Mills Memorial Trophy -- Highest scoring hunter or equitation rider (must have competed in USEF
recognized hunter show in 2007 or 2008)
21. Seldom Seen Memorial Trophy -- Highest scoring rider on a pony
22. Shavano’s Pride Memorial Trophy -- Highest scoring rider on a non solid-colored horse (Appaloosa, Paint, etc.)
23. Superstar Perpetual Trophy -- Highest scoring rider on a Quarter Horse*
24. Two Swan Farms Perpetual Trophy -- Youngest rider in a division
25. Umego Perpetual Trophy -- Highest scoring rider on a Schoolmaster – rider must speak to Lendon Gray or Fern
Feldman by 5 PM on Friday during the show to explain why the horse qualifies for this award
26. U.S. Pony Club Perpetual Trophy -- Highest scoring Pony Clubber
27. UVM Roseanna Memorial Trophy -- Highest scoring rider on a Morgan*
28. Vakhos Memorial Trophy -- Highest Dressage score for event riders competing at or above First Level (having
competed in a sanctioned event in 2007 or 2008)
29. Victor Hugo-Vidal Memorial Trophy -- Highest scoring rider in the Prix Caprilli classes

* Proof of breed registration is required and must be submitted with entry. You will not be entered for the award if your breed registration papers are not sent with your entry.

mosmom
Aug. 11, 2009, 01:25 PM
Here is the prize list:

http://www.youthdressagefestival.com/MODIFIED%20052609YDF09FINALFORPOSTINGTOWEBSITE.doc