PDA

View Full Version : Confused. Snake Venom...Legal or Illegal

MiMuneca
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:49 PM
So I always thought snake venom was illegal. But I was reading over the medication and drug rules for Ohio today, and, if I read correctly, it seems as if snake venom may be legal. Can someone 'in the know,' clarify for me?

Unfortunately, the document won't let me cut and paste, but here is the link I was viewing:

http://www.racing.ohio.gov/pdfs/HarRul18.pdf

I was looking at all of it but my question arose while reviewing Section 18.04(B) under Nerved Horses.

It basically says that only low nerving by surgical, physical, or chemical "ie injecting alcohol or snake venom" is allowed in horses that will be raced. It further specifies what nerves may be desensitized.

I've searched COTH, and the majority of snake venom references I've found reference "cobra venom."
Is there a difference between using cobra venom versus any other type of snake venom?
If one is going to 'nerve' a horse, why would one choose snake venom over a traditional surgical nerving?

Thank you for any input any of you can provide.

-MM

Pronzini
Aug. 9, 2009, 10:49 AM
I'm not from Ohio and every jurisdiction has their own rules but how I read that is that a vet could inject snake venom in a specific nerve and it would be allowed. In other jurisdictions, no nerving either chemical or surgical is allowed in any part of the horses leg.

My personal thought is that a horse that needs to be nerved needs to be off the track but some leading lights in my sport don't agree with me.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/39846/chrb-tables-heel-nerving-ban

MiMuneca
Aug. 9, 2009, 06:52 PM
Thank you Pronzini. That's how I read it too and I was surprised, given what I've read in the past, not just on COTH, about the use of cobra venom.

Until I read these rules, I didn't know that nerved horses, nerved by any means, were allowed to race anywhere. It makes sense though that each state would be able to make its own regulations.

I agree with you though. It doesn't make much sense to me that if a horse is at the point that it needs to be nerved that it should continue in a high impact, high risk sport.

That's an interesting link you attached. Especially the part about the jockeys saying that a nerved horse breaks differently. I'd be interested in knowing what they feel that indicates the horse has been nerved.

-MM

Carol Ames
Aug. 9, 2009, 10:14 PM
I can't believe a jockey would be happy about riding a nerved horse; I had one fall down with me just trotting around an indoor arena:eek:; can't imagine :eek:galloping :eek:one:no:

y personal thought is that a horse that needs to be nerved needs to be off the track but some leading lights in my sport don't agree with me.