PDA

View Full Version : Trainer for pony rider DE area?

barnbum81
Aug. 8, 2009, 08:50 PM
Anybody have any suggestions? We are looking but not finding much. Would be willing to trailer to MD, PA, NJ if a reasonable distance. We are in central DE.

Jleegriffith
Aug. 8, 2009, 09:07 PM
If you are looking for someone to do training rides then Jen Shaw (I don't know her new married name) at Phil Ake's place in Maryland is excellent. Might want to call around to the local hunter barns if you are just looking for a kid to ride/show.

barnbum81
Aug. 8, 2009, 09:21 PM
Is there a website or barn name? Looking for training for my kid :)

Tap2Tango
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:42 PM
IMO there is nobody is DE to do ponies if you are looking to do the rated stuff. I believe my old pony trainer is out of state now but she may still be close by. I will do some research. Otherwise, southern PA would be your best bet depending on where you are in DE. By central DE I'm assuming you mean around Dover? What exactly are your goals right now as far as showing?

barnbum81
Aug. 9, 2009, 08:38 AM
She's talented, we'd like to move beyond the local circut to at least the A level.

Jleegriffith
Aug. 9, 2009, 08:45 AM
There is not much in terms of trainers in Delaware for any discipline. I do a lot of traveling but luckily you can travel to the annapolis area or Pa to be within a 2 hr range.

20 - Stillwater Farm (http://www.chronicleforums.com/harvest/QAco.htm)
140 Stillwater Farm Lane
Church Hill, MD 21623
410-556-6141
Offers: Horse boarding, riding lessons, and horse training.

I believe Jen/Phil do the big shows but you would have to ask. I have only ever heard good things about them though which is more than I can say for others.

Tap2Tango
Aug. 9, 2009, 11:33 AM
Do you currently own a pony now? What size?

suniday
Aug. 9, 2009, 12:51 PM
I just sent you a PM with a suggestion.

Good Luck!

amylmac
Aug. 9, 2009, 12:53 PM
Been there(25 yrs ago) and looking again for grandaughter. I sent you a PM. I have some suggestions, maybe we could carpool? Or trailer pool as the case may be?

barnbum81
Aug. 9, 2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, yes we do own a few ponies. I will get back to everyone's pm's asap! Looks like I have some homework to do.

barnbum81
Aug. 10, 2009, 07:16 PM
amylmac have you talked to Beth? if not apparently a certain someone is twisting some words and putting words in my mouth. Too bad I have all of our emails and with your permission will forward them to Beth. Can't believe we are getting stalked on COTH, pretty pathetic if I do say so myself. let me know if this is too personal to put public, I would have pm'd but wanted to let a certain someone know I am on to her.

Jleegriffith
Aug. 10, 2009, 09:02 PM
BB- FWIW I had no idea who you trained with but it was my guess that it had to be there simply because it is the only barn with a good hunter lesson program in our area. I am sure someone else figured it out especially if you know they are at your barn already. I don't know why trainers take it so personally when you are ready to move on but sometimes that can be the case and I hope it doesn't make trouble for your daughter. I doubt Amy was the one spreading the rumours.

amylmac
Aug. 10, 2009, 11:43 PM
jleegriffith, she's referring to someone else she thinks may be spreading rumors, not me. It is a shame that people have to create drama like this when someone has the need to change or add to their riding program in order to meet their goals. I do wish there was more to choose from in our area in terms of hunter, eq. stuff. The eventing group seems to be well ingrained and there are many more choices . Your mom and I can remember when De. actually had quite a few really good trainers and several very close to the De line!

barnbum81
Aug. 11, 2009, 12:14 AM
yeah I know it wasn't Amy, I'd love to say on here right now who it was, alas I will be the bigger person.

By the way Jleegriffith, you know Tara right? I used to do her hair, great girl!

Jleegriffith
Aug. 11, 2009, 08:28 AM
Gosh..small small world isn't it! Yep, Tara is leasing my event horse and will be doing her first event this Friday. My horse thought it would be funny to get a stick up inside his coronary band or something like that so she is now riding the really super cute CANTER horse that we have in training who is doing HER first event as well. Eventers..we just wing it;) I may have converted her to the dark side but I will let you know after Friday:lol: I get the fun job of trying to undo the hunter perch!

Even us eventers have to do a lot of traveling for good instruction. I travel 2 hrs one way for the majority of my lessons. We did have an excellent eventing instructor who moved within 30 min of me which is awesome! x-c schooling is all at least an hour trip if not more.

You just have to find ways to get to the best instruction and not worry about hurting feelings. The personalities at the barn would turn me away even if the instruction was good.

Tullia07
Aug. 13, 2009, 03:40 PM
Locke Kelly at Pine Creek Ponies in Chester Springs, PA (right off route 202)

610-547-1468 http://www.pinecreekponies.com/

passinthru
Aug. 15, 2009, 10:59 PM
Snapdragon Stables in Queenstown - local and rated

www.snapdragonstables.com

`reppy
Aug. 16, 2009, 10:15 AM
www.integrityfarms.net - Jen does local and rated shows and is GREAT with kids! She's located in West Grove, PA. Probably about 45 mins to an hour from Dover, DE.