PDA

View Full Version : Saluting with a whip

Passage2
Aug. 8, 2009, 08:25 PM
What is the proper way to salute with a whip in your dominate hand? I really don't want to switch the whip from left to right during my test, but it seems more natural to salute with my right. Can I gather the reins and whip with my left hand and salute with my right? Thanks! I have a show tomorrow:)

Invite
Aug. 8, 2009, 08:49 PM
You can indeed hold the whip with the reins. For example, my left hand cannot hold a whip steadily. When I salute, I hold the reins and the top of the whip with my left hand and I salute with my right. After the salute, I gather the whip in my right hand as I gather my reins.

My former trainer (only former because she moved away) is a judge and she had me do this as the whip would have been too unsteady in my left hand if I had to carry it through an entire test. I was never marked down for this and I do not believe my trainer would have steered me wrong.

Best of luck at your show :)

atlatl
Aug. 8, 2009, 09:05 PM
You can salute with either hand.

FriesianX
Aug. 8, 2009, 09:29 PM
Another option - if this works smoothly for you - drop the whip under your right knee as you salute (between knee and saddle), then pick it back up ;) I have perfected that move :lol:

JWB
Aug. 8, 2009, 09:50 PM
Last show I rode in, I was carrying a whip on the R. and saluting on the R. but snagging the whip in my rein hand for the salute.

After the test, the judge told me she'd rather see me salute with the L. hand if I was going to hold the whip in the R...

hoopoe
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:01 PM
ther is absolutely no rule about what hand to use.

Use the hand that is not holding the whip

problem solved

Velvet
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:24 PM
The people who said you can salute with either hand are correct. But, if you feel more comfortable carrying the whip in the right hand and saluting with it, you can let the whip hang pointing down and drop your hand on the front of your thigh so the horse doesn't worry, and it's less noticeable to the judge. They cannot (by the rules) judge you on saluting with a whip in your hand, just as they cannot judge you on which hand you use. Also, you do NOT have to do a dramatic salute. Dropping your hand to hang at your side is correct.

slpeders
Aug. 10, 2009, 01:37 PM
LOVE the comment about "a dramatic salute". :)
I have seen some doozies lately, nearly theatrical flourishes, but much prefer a very basic " drop hand, drop head, pick both up together" approach.
I typically go in with my whip on the left so I can salute with my right because I'm more comfortable that way, then swap it if needed. I have gathered it with my reins too. It never would have occurred to me to trap it under my knee -- very creative. Thanks for the tip!

SillyHorse
Aug. 10, 2009, 02:42 PM
LOVE the comment about "a dramatic salute". :)
I have seen some doozies lately, nearly theatrical flourishes, but much prefer a very basic " drop hand, drop head, pick both up together" approach.
So does the USEF. In fact, that's how it's supposed to be done, according to the rulebook:

"Salute. At the salute riders must take the reins in one hand. A lady rider shall let one arm drop loosely along her body and then incline her head in a slight bow; a gentleman rider shall remove his hat and let his arm drop loosely along his body or may render the salute as does the lady rider. The military salute is only permissible when riding in uniform."