PDA

View Full Version : I need a new saddle.

Mamy
Aug. 8, 2009, 04:28 PM
So today I went looking for a new saddle. I knew this was going to be interesting, as I am a hard fit. I am 6'2 with long legs. Most of my leg is in my thigh. I walk in the first tack shop, tell them I am saddle shopping and what I am looking for. The girl looks at me and laughs. She says " We do not have what you are looking for. I know this because I am looking for it too!" So I thank her and go on my way to the next shop. I go into the next store and a very nice sales person helps me out. She tried everything to find me a saddle.. but it is jsut not easy. Long flaps are not touching my leg... I sat in about 15 different saddles. Finally she pulls a Barnsby Diablo of the rack and says she just wants to see.. and it fits, wonderfully! Of course it is a bit more tha I have right this minute.. but now I know something out there will fit my leg!
So I am hoping to do some adult Eq with my horse.. maybe in the spring. Can this saddle cut it in the eq ring? I know it is more of an eventing saddle.. But I just do not have the money for a custom saddle.

Bogie
Aug. 8, 2009, 04:42 PM
Scour the used saddle market. I have the same problem. No money for custom but a "freakishly long" femur (according to someone I cliniced with) :D.

Some of the cross country saddles are cut with an extra forward flap. I don't know how acceptable they would be for Eq.

Here's what's worked for me:

The Diablo is a good choice and I've seen those for $600-$800 used.
Ainsley Chester (the old kind) you can generally pick up for about $500. I just bought one on eBay so I could keep it in reserve.
County Extreme (800-$1200). This is my current saddle and I love it.
Wintec Pro XC (if you don't mind synthetic these are great saddles, hard to find because they've been discontinued, but generally about $500 used)
Jeffries Flyover is good but not very traditional for eq. They have a used one at Middleburgh Tack Exchange right now for about $1300. Keep in mind that those saddles run small in the seat and you generally need to go up a size.
Courbette Vision comes in an "Extra" forward flap.
Stubben Siegfrieds come in a VSSG which is an "extra" -- that didn't really work for me, but it's something to consider.Many of the more traditional hunter saddles also come in an extra forward flap but it's harder to find them used as they are generally special order.

Good luck!

Mamy
Aug. 8, 2009, 05:06 PM
Bogie-
THANK YOU!! That was great info!!!! I always say that I have a freakishly long femur,lol!! It is times like these that I wish my boy was a hunter,lol!

Bogie
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:28 PM
There is a courbette vision extra on eBay right now ;).

Mamy
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:40 PM
There is a courbette vision extra on eBay right now ;).

ohhhh. off to ebay!

mvp
Aug. 9, 2009, 07:44 AM
Do you want a forward flap kind of contraption or to ride with a longer, straighter leg as you commonly see in the eq (and which GM sometimes bitches about)?

In the more traditional eq kind of saddle, you might look for a Pessoa Stadium. Crosby Excel saddles are also know for their long flaps.

While I'm not a huge fan foam flocked saddles, the shape of Pessoa trees and panels seem to please a variety of horses. They tend to be well-balanced saddles. Crosby saddles will be old skool narrow-- as in 4" between the top/front corners of the panels below the pommel. That doesn't work for all modern horses.

Is this for your new, excellent free horse? I saw his pics and he's great. Nice confo (you can add groceries later) and a fabulous eye. I hope you and your family are very happy with him. Get that kind, useful-looking horse a nice saddle!

Mamy
Aug. 9, 2009, 09:08 AM
Do you want a forward flap kind of contraption or to ride with a longer, straighter leg as you commonly see in the eq (and which GM sometimes bitches about)?

In the more traditional eq kind of saddle, you might look for a Pessoa Stadium. Crosby Excel saddles are also know for their long flaps.

While I'm not a huge fan foam flocked saddles, the shape of Pessoa trees and panels seem to please a variety of horses. They tend to be well-balanced saddles. Crosby saddles will be old skool narrow-- as in 4" between the top/front corners of the panels below the pommel. That doesn't work for all modern horses.

Is this for your new, excellent free horse? I saw his pics and he's great. Nice confo (you can add groceries later) and a fabulous eye. I hope you and your family are very happy with him. Get that kind, useful-looking horse a nice saddle!

I need something with a forward flap, otherwise my knee goes over the front of the flap. I sat in an Excel yesterday and my knee was over. I sat in a pessoa also, though I forget which one, my knee was over.
My current saddle is an old Crosby Hunterdon that I bought in 1994 new. I have not grown since then, so I am guessing it never fit(wish I knew it then!!)in the leg.
So while I was looking for the longer flap for a long straight leg, they do not fit my leg at all, so I am no longer looking for one of those.

And yes it is for my new boy, thank you for the compliments!! I know I also have to get him fitted, I just figured since I am a hard fit, I would start with me then move on to him. I do LOVE his eye!! He is so sweet!!!!!

hollyhorse2000
Aug. 10, 2009, 02:45 PM
You can get used "customized" saddles with more forward flaps but otherwise fairly traditional styling, including Antares and Black Country. County, too, but not sure how accepted they are in the hunter world. (maybe the Stabilizer more than others).

virtus02
Aug. 10, 2009, 06:16 PM
Luc Childeric saddles are really nice and have many different flap sizes. The best thing about their flaps which you don't commonly see is that they have a long, forward flap that is also narrow. A lot of other saddle companies just have a long forward flap and I personally did not like them as much because all of the extra leather behind my leg. I know a lot of tall riders that love Childerics for this reason!

tBHj
Aug. 10, 2009, 07:09 PM
Dominus Show Jumping saddles have a long flap. I had one, it was too big for me but people 5'9 and up it seemed to fit really well.

Mamy
Aug. 10, 2009, 09:02 PM
Thank you all! I now have more saddles to look into! And maybe I should look into how much a custom will cost and think about saving for one.........