PDA

View Full Version : Legal drug question

dressagedevon
Aug. 8, 2009, 01:08 PM
My vet wants one of my horses on benedryl for bug bite relief, and allergy relief. So is it legal? I know when I take the stuff I'm out for hours, even the non drowsy stuff knocks me out! I have been giving him sulfur and that has really helped with the bugs, but just wanted to ask before I started him on it.
Thanks

Rooty
Aug. 8, 2009, 01:37 PM
Antihistamines are illegal under EC rules, not sure about in the US. Not sure about Benadryl in particular, but chances are... I'm sure someone else will know for certain.

Janet
Aug. 8, 2009, 01:40 PM
You need to read the D&M pamphlet
http://www.usef.org/documents/competitions/2007/2007DrugsMedsGuidelines.pdf

Benedryl isn't mentioned by name, but "antihistamines" are on the list of "forbidden substances", and I THINK it is one.

If it is being used or therapeutic purposes

After a horse or pony has been administered any product containing a
forbidden substance, and before the animal is returned to competition,
the following requirements must be met:

1. The product must be used for a legitimate therapeutic purpose only.
The rule accommodates the use of a forbidden substance for the diagnosis
or treatment of illness or injury only. If a forbidden substance is administered
for any other purpose, e.g., clipping, shipping, training, the animal
must be kept out of competition until the forbidden substance is no longer
detectable in the animal’s blood or urine sample. This can be a long time
(see HOW LONG DRUGS REMAIN DETECTABLE below).

2. A fter a horse or pony has been administered for a therapeutic purpose
any product containing a forbidden substance, the animal must be withdrawn
from competition for at least 24 hours. This is a uniform requirement
for all therapeutic forbidden substances, and there are no exceptions.

3. A written medication report must be filed documenting the therapeutic
use of a forbidden substance. A medication report form should be obtained
from the steward or technical delegate, filled out completely, and turned in
to the steward or technical delegate within the time required. All this must
be done within one hour of the earliest opportunity.

How long after treatment of any illness or injury is it necessary to file a written
medication report? It is necessary for as long as the drug might remain
detectable in a horse’s or pony’s blood or urine (see HOW LONG DRUGS
REMAIN DETECTABLE on page 11).

Lexi
Aug. 8, 2009, 02:05 PM
"Benadryl" is just a trade name for diphenhydramine, which is indeed explicitly listed as prohibited. And yes, it is an antihistamine.

Renae
Aug. 8, 2009, 02:17 PM
Lexi is correct diphenhydramine is explicity on the forbidden substances list http://www.usef.org/documents/competitions/2007/2007DrugsMedsGuidelines.pdf And to add- always call USEF Drugs & Meds department directly with any medication and supplement questions. They are happy to help, that is what they are there for. http://www.usef.org/_IFrames/Drugs/Default.aspx

Also not sure why your vet would prescribe benedryl versus prescribing dexamethasone (azium), which you can use at USEF competitions if you follow the recommended with holding times, dex is a restricted medication, not a forbidden one.

dressagedevon
Aug. 8, 2009, 05:32 PM
Benadry is one I can get over the counter in generic form and it's pretty inxepensive. We aren't showing anytime soon, and I haven't started him on it yet, I wanted to know all this first. I will ask him about dexamethasone and see if it would work for my guy. Do I need vet documentation for any of these? Or better yet, should I just stick with the sulfur since that seems to work and it's legal?

Janet
Aug. 8, 2009, 05:35 PM
Do I need vet documentation for any of these?

READ the D&M pamphlet.

It describes the paperwork.

Ghazzu
Aug. 8, 2009, 05:43 PM
Benadry is one I can get over the counter in generic form and it's pretty inxepensive. We aren't showing anytime soon, and I haven't started him on it yet, I wanted to know all this first. I will ask him about dexamethasone and see if it would work for my guy. Do I need vet documentation for any of these? Or better yet, should I just stick with the sulfur since that seems to work and it's legal?

If the sulfur is working, great.
If not, I might choose diphenhydramine over dexamethasone to avoid the side effects of corticosteroids, so long as you're not showing.
Bottom line I think would be to ask your vet if there's any reason to go for the dexamethasone over the diphenhydramine.