PDA

View Full Version : How do I hide my muffin top during summer?

Muffin Top
Aug. 8, 2009, 12:32 AM
So, in the winter I use vests and sweaters. What can I use to camouflage the muffin top during summer? A shirt tucked into snug breeches (with a belt if in a clinc) is really not the best look for me.

beesknees
Aug. 8, 2009, 12:40 AM
will breeches be too loose if you buy the next size up? You could buy one of those body suit Spanx things--I think they act as a bra too: http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?cp=3481210.3481211&productId=3508606
Cheaper one: http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3412998&cp=2992553.3010022&parentPage=family

fourmares
Aug. 8, 2009, 02:28 AM
Or you could start doing pilates, walk more and eat less and wear what you want.

jumpingpercheron
Aug. 8, 2009, 07:26 AM
Or you could start doing pilates, walk more and eat less and wear what you want.

Yep.

shanky
Aug. 8, 2009, 08:54 AM

Or you could stop worrying about it and wear what you want. As long as the so-called "muffin top" is covered with some type of fabric, get over it. I can't remember the last time I went to the barn and gave a sh*t if somebody had a bit of a belly under their clothes.

Are you an effective rider who is suitably mounted? Did you come by your muffin top honestly? Do your clothes fit properly? If you answered "yes" to these three questions, then I don't see the need to worry about your gut unless you are doing some type of fashion shoot at the barn.

mvp
Aug. 8, 2009, 09:30 AM
Given the OP's name, I think the issue is important to her. I'll also assume she's a she because cowboys with no a$$, a pronounced beer gut and a big belt and buckle hung down below the paunch seem to have no problem whatseover.

But I feel your pain.

My solution: I wear low rise but not a$$-crack breeches/jeans in a size that doesn't create the problem. Ever notice that men get their clothes built to fit the bod they have while the ladies obsess about molding the body to some pattern-cutter's idea? That's for the birds.

I do wear a belt because I feel underdressed without one. And then I try to get my little head in a "happy place" before I thinking about tucking in a carefully-chosen shirt. It may make no sense, but belt plus shirt of the exact right length and pants that address my body's shape (dammit) do the job.

Einstein
Aug. 8, 2009, 09:38 AM
But I feel your pain.

My solution: I wear low rise but not a$$-crack breeches/jeans in a size that doesn't create the problem. Ever notice that men get their clothes built to fit the bod they have while the ladies obsess about molding the body to some pattern-cutter's idea? That's for the birds.

I do wear a belt because I feel underdressed without one. And then I try to get my little head in a "happy place" before I thinking about tucking in a carefully-chosen shirt. It may make no sense, but belt plus shirt of the exact right length and pants that address my body's shape (dammit) do the job.

I find the low rise fit, makes the "muffin top" more pronounced.
Try a mid rise cut and make sure the waist isn't too tight.
Wear a shirt that is a little loose, add belt and go.:D

Hunter Mom
Aug. 8, 2009, 01:57 PM
Try on lots of breeches. Find ones with a wider waistband (Grand Prix is wonderful, some Ariat style - Brittany - also have a wider waistband) that help to keep parts inside. The ones with a slightly lower rise may hit you in a spot where there will be less squishing - I loff the ones that hit right at the top of my hips.

I also wear my polos outside most of the time to help camouflage any, uh, curves I don't want to accentuate. For shows, I also wear spanx to help keep everything sucked in well.

heatherny2
Aug. 8, 2009, 02:19 PM
Control top pantyhose...camouflage both the muffin top and the cottage cheese. :winkgrin:
That or looser breeches and looser shirt.:)

VarsityHero4
Aug. 8, 2009, 02:51 PM
I love my GP breeches for the muffin top situation. It sounds like we have a similar problem, the next size up looks ridiculous on me. I find that the GP breeches, with a belt, hide it well. I actually think that if you wear a belt and just make sure it's not super tight it actually helps hide it by filling in that "space."

tanlines
Aug. 8, 2009, 03:01 PM
Spanx...pantyhose??? You people obviously don't live in Texas....it's 102 today and very humid. Just pulling on a pair of breeches makes you melt!

gottagrey
Aug. 8, 2009, 03:04 PM
I find the low rise fit, makes the "muffin top" more pronounced.
Try a mid rise cut and make sure the waist isn't too tight.
Wear a shirt that is a little loose, add belt and go.:D

yes, even some of the tiniest people have a muffin top w/ ill fitting, low-rise pants...

Tamara in TN
Aug. 8, 2009, 03:35 PM
So, in the winter I use vests and sweaters. What can I use to camouflage the muffin top during summer? A shirt tucked into snug breeches (with a belt if in a clinc) is really not the best look for me.

don't they make girdles anymore ??

Coreene
Aug. 8, 2009, 03:35 PM
SmartPak Smart Slims. Divine.

skyy
Aug. 8, 2009, 07:10 PM
If you get polo shirts that are a little fitted (like the LLBean ones that have a little lycra in them) they aren't so long that you have to tuck. The ones I have fall about an inch or 2 below the waistband of my breeches and help create a continuous line (or I would like to think so anyway:) )

ERollison
Aug. 8, 2009, 07:17 PM
Spanx...pantyhose??? You people obviously don't live in Texas....it's 102 today and very humid. Just pulling on a pair of breeches makes you melt!

Where in TX are you? I am in Kingsville and I feel your pain! 110 heat index ugh!! Too hot!!

hijumpin1
Aug. 8, 2009, 07:27 PM
Mid-rise breeches.

Dancing Lawn
Aug. 8, 2009, 07:32 PM
lose the low-rise.

i'm no prude, but I'm SO tired of ass-cracks being inflicted on my eyeballs by overweight young women who think they look SEXY!!

please, PLEASE, lets do away with plumberpants.

and I'm not exactly sveldt myself, so I can SAY that. wear pants, breeches, whatever, that at least cover your butt.

and go a size bigger. try a size that FITS. :D

please. for all of us. :)

( I was exposed to one yesterday that was positively jaw-droppingly unattractive. ) seems the bigger the girls, the more skin they want to inflict on an unsuspecting public.

loser is better.

this is turning into an entire essay. I have much to say on the subject. but I'll spare you.

Dancing Lawn
Aug. 8, 2009, 07:33 PM
looser.

sorry.

hijumpin1
Aug. 8, 2009, 08:42 PM
One more thought. Button down shirts--like an oxford--will be more flattering than a tee. Baby tees/tanks are clingy and are going to hug all the wrong places. Thinnish stretchy knits don't look good with a tummy. Avoid horizontal stripes.

You could always buy a long sleeve oxford and have a seamstress make it shortsleeve. Ralph Lauren makes a nice shirt, there's always a pretty nice selection on ebay.

MintHillFarm
Aug. 8, 2009, 09:06 PM
I never thought low rise pants or jeans were all that flattering to anyone except the skinniest of women or girls. So when they came out with that style in breeches I was not surprised that again they are not flattering!

I think they cut the torso in 2 in the wrong spot. And when on a horse the look doesn't improve...just my opinion for what it is worth.

I agree with the other posters who mentioned the higher cut breeches with a belt or the wider band versions. Add a more boxier style polo shirt to soften the look, rather than one that hugs your shape...

Tamara in TN
Aug. 8, 2009, 09:10 PM
I never thought low rise pants or jeans were all that flattering to anyone except the skinniest of women or girls. So when they came out with that style in breeches I was not surprised that again they are not flattering!

I think they cut the torso in 2 in the wrong spot. And when on a horse the look doesn't improve...just my opinion for what it is worth.

they are just putrid....bleech...thankfully they are slowly going out of style...

FrenchFrytheEqHorse
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:09 PM
The low rise pants really depend on one's build. On me, I find "low rise" more comparable to a "medium rise" in street clothes because of my short torso. I like the ariat brittany pants and liked the TS trophy hunter until the crotch wore through on both my pairs in less than 3 months. Before the "low rise" option came out, my TS breeches came a few inches above my belly button, which wasn't a good look or feel while riding, especially on hot days.

*JumpIt*
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:20 PM
While we're on the topic of unsightly muffin tops and butt cracks can you please check your thong lines? Let me tell you I would much rather see ganny panties lines than your thong and butt through your breeches.

Lucassb
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:26 PM
Depends a bit on how you are built, I think.

I am short waisted and although I am by no means skinny, I find the low rise breeches are more flattering than the ones that could multitask as a shelf bra. My low rise breeches actually hit me about an inch below my natural waist and are in no danger of producing anything like the plumber's crack that I agree is just plain... icky.

I find fitted polos (NOT tight, just something with a bit of tailoring to it) with a pair of low rise breeches and a belt is best for me. The super loose/oversize shirts look sloppy and make me look larger than I am. The Brooks Bros. polos are tailored nicely and while not a "skinny" fit, have a bit of shape to them and look polished and put together with breeches, especially with a wider waistband and nice leather belt.

ERollison
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:29 PM
The low rise pants really depend on one's build. On me, I find "low rise" more comparable to a "medium rise" in street clothes because of my short torso. I like the ariat brittany pants and liked the TS trophy hunter until the crotch wore through on both my pairs in less than 3 months. Before the "low rise" option came out, my TS breeches came a few inches above my belly button, which wasn't a good look or feel while riding, especially on hot days.

I am in the exact same situation. The Ariat Brittany fits me great it is not too high ...not too low. I have a short torso also. Regular rise is above my belly button usually.

EqTrainer
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:39 PM
While we're on the topic of unsightly muffin tops and butt cracks can you please check your thong lines? Let me tell you I would much rather see ganny panties lines than your thong and butt through your breeches.

:lol::lol::lol: I am ROTFLMAO..

Hunter Mom
Aug. 8, 2009, 11:58 PM
I am in the exact same situation. The Ariat Brittany fits me great it is not too high ...not too low. I have a short torso also. Regular rise is above my belly button usually.

You and FrenchFry must be my torso twins! No one belives the Brittany breeches are low-rise on me because they hit just below my real waist. They look good on curvy girls.

Juneberry
Aug. 9, 2009, 12:05 AM

that's just downright rude. no amount of pilates walking or eating less is going to help some people loose their "muffin top" I've had 2 kids and nothing I can do can bring my stomach back into shape short of surgery. if you don't know the person keep your awful comments to yourself please

fourmares
Aug. 9, 2009, 01:31 AM
I don't think it is rude or awful to point out that a muffin top is not something that anyone is stuck with for life. There is no big secret to loosing weight and getting in shape. Anyone can do it... Heck watch that show Biggest Looser... if those people can loose 100+ pounds with nothing but diet and exercise anyone ought to be able to loose a muffin top.

BelladonnaLily
Aug. 9, 2009, 09:10 AM
I am short-waisted (with little butt), so matter how much I weigh, I always have somewhat of a belly. With normal waist jeans and an extra 5 lbs, I have a muffin top. I have ALWAYS been paranoid about this. I have found that low-rise/mid-rise (No, NOT crack showing low low rise) pants do work well for me. I'm not showing my midriff under ANY circumstances, so showing my crack/underwear/skin isn't a problem. But it does make the lines work better with most shirts. I rarely tuck anything in, but don't have to wear long shirts to hide anything. I live in Gap and Old Navy v-neck tshirts. Because I am short-waisted, the mid/low rise seems to hit a more natural waist area for me.

And FWIW, I eat healthy, am a normal weight and work out 5-6 days a week, so some people will have these issues no matter their weight. When I gain any weight, it is ALL around my middle...I just have a screwed up shape ;) :lol: Even at 130 lbs, I have no waist :no:

sweetpea
Aug. 9, 2009, 09:37 AM
Apparently the OP is unhappy with the way she looks in breeches.
Which can be a hard glance for most of us---
BUT I was a fitness trainer for 10 years never knew what a muffin top was until I stopped
teaching.
I was not soooo out of shape or gained a bunch of pounds , but
what muscles I was using when I taught must have been less used when I switched to just riding horses.

So I went back to core exercises and lots of push ups. Yes even if you had 10 kids you can help it , my best friend had 2 c sections which really has made it a struggle for her , but the right core moves such as planks & push ups kick boxing has helped her.

Give it a break on how could you respond that way --- if you the OP has the guts to talk about a sensitive subject I am sure she is tough enough to listen to all the the suggestions and not cry!!

RockinHorse
Aug. 9, 2009, 12:39 PM
I do wear a belt because I feel underdressed without one. And then I try to get my little head in a "happy place" before I thinking about tucking in a carefully-chosen shirt.

Silly me, mvp, I always assumed you were a woman :winkgrin:

PletchersMom
Aug. 9, 2009, 01:05 PM
I pulled out my pair of OLD breeches with a high waist band and it works wonders. Holds all of my rolls in! :D

Romany
Aug. 9, 2009, 01:31 PM

:lol:

fabuleux
Aug. 9, 2009, 02:43 PM
I buy cotton shirts from Target, and I don't wear low rise breeches. (Well, I buy them..but I am so short that they are high anyway :lol: )

Definitely no horizontal stripes or anything like that!

I have been walking and doing crunches, and my muffin top has shrunken a LOT.

KateKat
Aug. 9, 2009, 05:02 PM

Same here! Sorry MVP...

About the muffin top, ditto on trying a higher ride breech. If it hits you at your natural waist, you will look less muffin-y. Also find some nice fitted, not tight polos or shirts and just don't tuck in unless you have to. I have a long torso but a weirdly short waist so that when things are tucked in I look goonie. Avoiding tucking in as much as possible is definitely my MO!

Go Fish
Aug. 10, 2009, 02:16 AM
I thought muffin tops were a result of pants that were too tight in the waist. If you buy pants in the appropriate size, the waist band won't cut into your waist causing the excess skin above the waist to roll over the top of your pants. That's been my observation, anyway.

I'm not sure why people insist on buying pants that are several sizes too small. It's like they refuse to face reality. If you wear a 14 and try to squeeze yourself into a size 10, you can count on a muffin top as a result.

I really find too tight pants with a crop top that allows the muffin top to hang out above the waistband to be extremely unattractive. Don't women look in the mirror in the morning to see how they look?

Hunter Mom
Aug. 10, 2009, 09:47 AM
I'm not sure why people insist on buying pants that are several sizes too small. It's like they refuse to face reality. If you wear a 14 and try to squeeze yourself into a size 10, you can count on a muffin top as a result.

Try working in an inner city high school. It is the thing - add a skin belt and you're set for school! ICK! Well fitting clothes are just nicer for everyone.

Trees4U
Aug. 10, 2009, 10:26 AM
I don't know how old the OP is but from experience I know that after 50, your body plays nasty tricks on you. Diet and exercise doesn't do what it used to (unless maybe you have time to spend the whole day in the gym, I suppose) Skin stretches and doesn't pop back .Hormones change too. And those people that lose 100 lbs on TV are gonna go to the cosmetic surgeon and have nip/tuck somewhere!
OP was just looking for a tip or kind advice...
At least she cares.

Coreene
Aug. 10, 2009, 11:15 AM
For people who think they magically vanish with diet and exercise: I have lost 82 lbs since late June 2008. You can have washboard ab muscles, but when you lose that much weight you'll still have loose skin over the washboard abs. And then, guess what? Ta da! Muffin top! You could work out 24/7/365 and it's not going anywhere!

MistyBlue
Aug. 10, 2009, 11:31 AM
Yup, there are two types of muffin tops:
Excess skin..nothing short of surgery gets rid of that
Excess subcutaneous fat
Even a small amount of excess weight and the wrong style or size pants can create a muffin top. The amount of excess weight and the tightness and area the waist band falls in will change the size of the muffin top.

Excess skin muffin top can be hidden or controlled with a combo of the right height waist band according to your figure and making sure the waist band isn't tight. Fitted to slightly loose, never snug.

Excess weight muffin tops can be hidden the same way most of the time...but a lot of excess weight will be more obvious.

try doing a search online for dressing right according to boody shapes. There's a few that show how to dress right for your shape and how to do it. It can help to choose the right riding clothes too. And for any shape and size that isn't very very thin...remember that the right size bottoms are necessary. Too many people of all siizes think the smaller of the sizes they fit in means they look that size. However even bottoms only very slightly snug on a person makes them look larger instead of smaller. Go a size up, makes you look better. :yes:

JinxyFish313
Aug. 10, 2009, 12:18 PM
I'm very short waisted, so if I wear regular rise breeches the top is actually higher than anything that could be considered a muffin top. I normally wear Tailored Sportsman breeches, I forget if its Royal or Supreme Hunter (the ones everyone used to wear religiously before the cheaper, stretchier TS ones became the "in" choice) because of their shape, and because they have a little more fabric/construction to them which is great for hiding undesirable traits...prefer the side zip infinitely over the front zip.

I pair these with the fitted RL polo shirts (not the "classic" aka boxy fit) which are short enough to still look neat and tidy untucked.

For horse shows I just pull my tucked-in shirt out a little bit (which I would do anyway for the sake of range of movement).

One other thing to note - I do teach a couple of pretty heavy adult riders and I swear they must all shop at the same saddlery because each one has some really ugly ribbed, super stretchy, super cheap breeches that just make them look awful. I can't stress how important it is to go with something really well made, with substance. Its like you could wear spandex, or you could wear tailored slacks...which would you choose?

jazzrider
Aug. 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
I am short-waisted (with little butt), so matter how much I weigh, I always have somewhat of a belly. With normal waist jeans and an extra 5 lbs, I have a muffin top. I have ALWAYS been paranoid about this. I have found that low-rise/mid-rise (No, NOT crack showing low low rise) pants do work well for me. I'm not showing my midriff under ANY circumstances, so showing my crack/underwear/skin isn't a problem. But it does make the lines work better with most shirts. I rarely tuck anything in, but don't have to wear long shirts to hide anything. I live in Gap and Old Navy v-neck tshirts. Because I am short-waisted, the mid/low rise seems to hit a more natural waist area for me.

And FWIW, I eat healthy, am a normal weight and work out 5-6 days a week, so some people will have these issues no matter their weight. When I gain any weight, it is ALL around my middle...I just have a screwed up shape ;) :lol: Even at 130 lbs, I have no waist :no:

I think we're twins! I'm exactly the same. I found a short sleeved Under Armour-like material top with pockets in the front (like a sweatshirt) and a zip up, that is super cool for summer riding, and hides my muffin top, such as it is.

I found it at an Eddie Bauer outlet, and bought it in four colors. The pockets in front hide the muffin top! It looks sort of like this, but without the hood, different fabric and slightly shorter sleeves.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/EB/Women/Tees--Knit-Tops/Sleeveless--ShortSleeve-Tees--Knit-Tops/index.cat#ppl=%7Btype%3A%22transition%22%2Censembl eId%3A%2234852%22%2CformatStr%3A%22product%22%2Cpa ssedIdObj%3A%7B%22ensembleId%22%3A%2234852%22%7D%2 CcategoryId%3A%22107%22%2CpathInfo%3A%22C1C3C93C10 7%22%2CcolorId%3A%22500%22%2CsizeIdSelected%3A%22-1%22%2CquantitySelected%3A%22-1%22%2CimageName%3A%22EB09IB_0099617_500B1%22%2Cim ageTypeCode%3A%22B%22%2CcatPath%3A%22%7E%7Ecategor yId%3D107%7E%7EcategoryName%3DSLEEVELESS--SHORTSLEEVE-TEES--KNIT-TOPS%7E%7EpCategoryId%3D93%7E%7EpCategoryName%3DTE ES--KNIT-TOPS%7E%7EgpCategoryId%3D3%7E%7EgpCategoryName%3DW OMEN%7E%7EggpCategoryId%3D1%7E%7EggpCategoryName%3 DEB%22%2Ccs%3A%220%22%7D

You can bet, now that I know it hides my mt and is slimming looking, I'll be buying them anytime I see them! :yes:

imapepper
Aug. 10, 2009, 12:56 PM
Depends a bit on how you are built, I think.

I am short waisted and although I am by no means skinny, I find the low rise breeches are more flattering than the ones that could multitask as a shelf bra. My low rise breeches actually hit me about an inch below my natural waist and are in no danger of producing anything like the plumber's crack that I agree is just plain... icky.

Me too! I have some older breeches that my husband says comes to the bottom of my bra. A couple of good tugs and I could probably cover up part of the bra :lol:

I would try on a bunch of breeches and make sure that whatever you buy fits your waist. Nothing creates muffin top faster than a too tight waistband. I like the Ariats myself. Fit is everything. I can put on 5 different kinds of breeches of the same size and they will all fit differently. I swear, I put on the cheap TS and I look like I tried to cram 10 lbs of cr@p in a 5 lb sack but if I put on the expensive TS breeches in the same size, they fit. If you are still really concious of how you look, maybe evaluate your exercise program. But if you have already done that and you just have the bit of extra that most of us have, work on finding the right fit and try not to worry about it. It is probably not nearly as bad as you think it is. Besides, I can honestly say I have never checked out anyone's muffin tops or VPLs at shows or clinics. I am way too busy with my horse and worrying about my own muffin top :winkgrin: