PDA

View Full Version : Appointment Classes

dauphine2
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:55 PM
I cross-posted this into the Hunting BB because I thought that they would probably have fairly good knowledge about this as well.

What is correct attire, tack, and other equipment for an appointment class? They've been extinct for decades now and we're thinking of reviving the class at a benefit show next fall. But to do so we would need to know correct appointments, of course! I know a bit, but certainly not everything.

I realize that the class probably won't have many takers, but we already have a few people that have agreed to show in it. You'd be suprised what you can find in Grandma's barn loft. ;)

Oh, and what exactly is the "routine" of this class.

Wanderluster
Aug. 8, 2009, 12:23 AM
I remember watching a video tape at a large judging clinic eons ago. It ended up being a bit of comic relief because it also had side saddle jumping do's and dont's that were pretty self explanatory.
I am sure that you can do an online USEF search that will formally spell out the specifications for the class but I still giggle at the sandwich remark which had the admonition " crusts cut off cut on the diagonal and heaven forbid stale" ! Something else I remember is a glove tucked under the girth ?? Oh my the brain is feeble and these questions rarely come up.
I think that bridles had to have sewn in bits and reins, but perhaps there is a more contemporary judging standard.
Good Luck ! The class sounds like a lot of fun. :)

superpony123
Aug. 8, 2009, 01:51 AM
:sadsmile: what's an appointment class? (hey, I'm only 17! so i haven't exactly been around for decades yet)

Mach Two
Aug. 8, 2009, 02:03 AM
In an appointments class, riders show horses in correct attire for formal foxhunting: that means a true hunting coat, dress boots, white shirt, white stock tie, Buff or canary breeches, correct earrings and stock pin, the correct gloves (tan leather or white string, depending on weather) with a sandwich case attached to the saddle, containing an actual sandwich, and they carry a hunt whip correctly. Horses are turned out in hunting bridles (wider than show bridles, and flat rather than raised) and are braided for hunting, including a loop finish on tails to a mud knot can be put in quickly if need be. Riders who had earned their colors with a wore their hunt coats with colors (on the collar) for women, and black dress boots with black patent tops (cuffs) and men showed in their scarlet attire (red coat, white breeches, dress boots with tan tops (cuffs) added. A prince of wales or small hammerhead spur, and a string or baghide folded girth was considered a correct part of hunt turnout.

It is from the days when people who showed hunters also foxhunted.

lauriep
Aug. 8, 2009, 07:40 AM
Bridle must be sewn in,not hook stud style, with either a pelham, snaffle or full bridle. If you use a martingale, it must be a hunting breastplate with martingale attachment. Folded leather girth with no elastic. No saddle pad. No pads in stirrups. String (rain) gloves under flap of saddle, thumbs under. Sandwich case with turkey or ham sandwich, crusts cut off, I think they had to be wrapped in wax paper. Flask to contain spirits (bourbon, brandy) or tea, I think. Lady rider to wear melton hunt coat (can be a shad) with or without colors as appropriate. White ratcatcher with real stock tie and simple stock pin (used for bandaging in the field). Canary vest. Buff or canay breeches with three buttons below the knee. Black dress boots with patent tops. No field boots. Boot garters on boots fit between 2nd and 3rd buttons(?). I think spurs are required. Hammerhead or POW. Horses can be braided in normal hunter braids and tail. Rider carries a hunt whip with lash that she may be asked to crack.

IMO, it would be nearly impossible to revive this class now. Most people don't even know what they are. The people who hunt and show are almost non-existent, and the exhibitors today wouldn't appreciate the connection to the hunt field and the traditions. The appointments are VERY expensive, so unless you can borrow them, it is really unrealistic to buy them all for a class that may or may not get off the ground. Maybe go with a Hunt Livery class, where the rider dresses the dress, but the horse wears his normal stuff.