PDA

View Full Version : Calling Tall, Skinny Riders...Which Saddles do you Ride in?

HollysHobbies
Aug. 7, 2009, 08:27 PM
Sadly, my lovely Lauriche isn't working for me--I belive the twist is just a bit too wide, as I'm having chronic hip pain and struggle to keep the leg straight (I have to pick it up, shake it, and then readjust it during riding!).

I'm 5'10", tall, really thin.
I need:
-a narrower twist (though I just rode in a County Connection? and found my nethers to hurt)
-a wide saddle (for the boy)
-a longer flap

Any SUGGESTIONS?

Side notes:
*I love my Luc Childeric on my big boned OTTB, but it is too narrow through shoulder for my WB--supports leg, doesn't hurt nethers, lets leg hang.
*I also love my Crosby PSG sofride, but have no horses to fit it, so it's a railing ornament.
*I have a Passier Baum that I find myself pinching in my UPPER thigh region...does that mean I need a medium twist?
*Have ridden in a Black Country--too wide a twist.

caddym
Aug. 8, 2009, 06:48 AM
I also loved my luc childrec - but it didn't fit my horse well.

I am now riding in an albion slk and a schlesse link

I've tried a TON of saddles. others I liked but didn't buy: prestige 2000, hennig and the amerigo

dressurpferd01
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:00 AM
6' 1" 150lbs. Trilogy Debbie Special. Love it! Have never ridden in a more comfy saddle.

Velvet
Aug. 8, 2009, 11:04 AM
I tried a bunch of expensive saddles, then moved on to the less expensive ones. Guess what? My horse (wide backed, but not super wide backed) loved a Wintec. So since I love a narrow twist, I went for the Wintec Pro dressage. I prefer flocked, so I got a flocked one. I use it with a sheepskin half pad to help with the heat build up you get with synthetic saddles and he adores it. I love the feel of the fit for me, and the lack of those giant thigh blocks most saddles have these days (which are not alway in the right place if you have very long thighs), and I like the grippy feel (saves money on the full seat breeches).

Hey, it's cheap. You can always give it a try. If you like the fit with one with CAIR, but prefer flocked, you can always order one from Wintec.

meupatdoes
Aug. 8, 2009, 11:14 AM
6', 150lbs, 35"inseam, long hip to knee, Albion SLK.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 8, 2009, 12:17 PM
Calling Tall, Skinny Riders...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Elegante E
Aug. 8, 2009, 02:35 PM
The problem is that a twist can feel very different depending on the horse. Passiers have narrow twists but with a flat spot for one's behind so you don't get that riding on a board feeling. Their flaps are super long as well. You have to be sure where the stirrup bars hit you though as I've had my GG's moved back.

You might try Custom saddlery. They have a variety of styles to fit horse and rider. I tried their Corona with smaller knee blocks and liked the twist a lot.

HollysHobbies
Aug. 8, 2009, 02:42 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions!!! I'm writing these all down!!

I have sat in a Wintec--I was pinching in the super upper thigh region (same as what I do in the old school Passier)

Albion I will definately test drive. I'm also looking into some newer style Passiers--they might fit the bill. I'm going to try a Custom that's here at the barn (but it's a wide twist--the Wolfgang...)

My nethers still hurt from yesterday's lesson aboard the County (Connection I belive)...jeez, ouch...I think a high rise...not for me. On the flip side, I had a great lesson! I learned to half-pass at trot and canter! Woohoo! Finally gettin' to the fun stuff! :winkgrin:

Haha--horse is definately too wide for my hips, but he's also the love of life, so he's a keeper! I'll limp.

Wow, some of these (as I keep reading down the page past this post) I've never even heard of, but I'll look into 'em.

Thanks thanks thanks!

blackhorsegirl
Aug. 8, 2009, 03:41 PM
At 5'11" with very long legs, I find the County Connection very comfortable. However, I do understand about the twist. One thing I found I need to watch for is making sure the saddle really fits me. I use a 19 inch saddle so there plenty of room for that long stretch of leg between the hip and the knee. It puts me right in the middle and my trainer said it put my leg in the correct position. I had an 18 inch saddle that fit my butt just fine. There just wasn't enough leg room without having a custom saddle with the flap moved way forward.

SBrentnall
Aug. 8, 2009, 05:10 PM
I'm 5' 8" (a shorty here, apparently!) and 120lbs. I ride in a Custom Advantage and love it. I'm long in the upper thigh and it fits perfectly.

Here are some I've tried and discarded:
Wintec Isobel (OK on one horse, too sore in nether on others)
Schleese Jane Savoie (OK on narrow TB, too flat and unsupportive on WBs)
Niedersuess (OK on TB although not very supportive)
Kiefer Wein (suede on seat and panels helped with stick, but that's about it)

Bogie
Aug. 8, 2009, 06:00 PM
Okay, tall (6'), very long femur, not so skinny ;).

I have a Roosli Pilatus that I ordered from the factory. I believe it's a 17 1/2" which I would have thought would be too small but the flaps fit my legs perfectly.

Added bonus: this saddle has fit almost every horse I've ever ridden.

carovet
Aug. 8, 2009, 08:57 PM
amerigo cortina ---love it!

Hampton Bay
Aug. 8, 2009, 09:29 PM
JP Giacomini, 18.5" (though an 18" would fit me better).

However, could it be that the horse is too wide for your hips? I have some old hip issues, and wider horses certainly make my hips a bit sore. Of course, that is all I own (well, 3yo is going to be wide eventually).

wildlifer
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:19 PM
I have insanely long thighs, and saddle snobs won't like it, but what fits my wide horse AND me perfectly -- is a Collegiate and a Wintec.

PletchersMom
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:34 PM
Im 5'-8" and I found a Stubben Siegfried VSSG fits me well, so that is what im ordering, come Monday am!

Goo
Aug. 8, 2009, 11:43 PM
I'm not tall and skinny :) but try a longer flap Hennig (and possibly even one with a more forward flap, if that is what you need to accommodate your femur). I don't know exactly how long a flap you might need, but it is my understanding that for most saddles 15" is short, 16" is standard, and 17" upwards is considered long.

Given your long leg, you might also want to try one with a shorter (3/4) block. Hennigs tend to have narrow to medium twists (depending on the saddle), but nothing uber wide as far as I know. Try more than one Hennig if you can, because each one is pretty much one of a kind and there is quite some variation - i.e. some have cutback pommels with long and steep rises while some don't, plus different balances in the seats, etc etc etc. But they all have adjustable trees, which is handy.

The new ones are (IMO) way too expensive right now, so if I was looking for another one I would only consider used. Here are a couple sites that seem to have a good inventory.

http://www.fine-used-saddles.com/catalog.htm?Vl=23&Tp=2

http://www.mahtowameadows.com//index.php?cPath=85_93

Loooove my Hennig. :yes:

cheekyhorse
Aug. 9, 2009, 02:59 PM
I'm not that tall, I'm 5'7" but I have long legs in comparison to my upper body. I ride in a County Perfection and LOVE IT. They aren't cheap but the come semi custom. Flaps are custom, can be more forward (like mine) or with a straighter leg position.

Twiliath
Aug. 9, 2009, 07:53 PM
My daughter is 6' tall and weighs about 135 lbs. She rides a 15 hh. Arab gelding. She stole my medium-wide (?) Keith Bryan (English Master Saddler) Santis. It fits her Arab and it seems to fit her. It's also very comfy. It will, however, be quite a trick to find one of those stateside. It was a lucky find for me.

Equibrit
Aug. 9, 2009, 08:04 PM
http://www.laserequestrian.com/saddles.html They will customize for you and you can get gel seats and panels.

KatherineC
Aug. 9, 2009, 08:26 PM
I ride in a Sommer 17.5" Flextra. (5'8", 125 lbs).

sidney
Aug. 9, 2009, 10:22 PM
I have two passier GG's, one that is about 8 yrs old and the newest model with the freedom panels. I prefer the passier because of the narrow twist.