PDA

View Full Version : Shoeing issue - navicular changes

eas1012
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:13 AM
So I recently had the vet out for my 13 yr old warmblood gelding who has been lame on the right front at the walk with no obvious reasons for this lameness.

After taking multiple radiographs, there were some navicular changes in his right front as well as minor bone spurs in his coffin and fetlock joints. I called my farrier who told me he was going to put a wedge on both front heels to help alleviate pressure in regard to the navicular changes.

The vet also reccomended injecting his joints (which I'm familiar and comfortable with) but also mentioned something along the lines of a procedure where the injection would create bead like objects in the joint?

So my question to the COTH community is first off wedging his front feet sounds like a good idea, has anyone done this with positive results before?

And secondly has anyone had their horse injected with this beading technique?

Quinn
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:18 AM
I believe the "bead" like procedure to which you refer is IRAP. Some very good threads on here about IRAP.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff

mortebella
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:29 AM
I have never had my boy injected. He doesn't have navicular changes, he has pedal osteoitis (sp?) but my understanding is it's pretty similar symptom-wise (they thought it was navicular until x-rays because it responds to diagnostic lidocaine block just the same) and treatment is also wedge pad or frog support pad. He is also helped - and the good part is by this I mean sound as a dollar and goes like a freight train - by a squared off toe on his shoe. He is 16, and probably, in the opinion of 2 vets, had these changes in his fronts for a long time, and they would only cause intermittant problems. I also have him on adequan. He won't eat an oral supplement. I ride him pretty hard on pretty hard ground, jump him over small fences, and he is a happy boy who is happier the harder he works :D Bottom line is I'm a firm believer in a good farrier and the right orthopedic shoeing - I lost quite a bit of time last summer with a different farrier until finally moving and getting this dialed.

JWB
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:37 AM
We did this on a 14 yr. old QH who had a navicular cyst. He went from mildly lame most of the time to completely sound on visual inspection. It definitely improved his quality of life, although his owner decided to put him in a pleasure horse environment rather than continue with his prof. training and showing since as our vet said, it could make him right forever or for six months but you just can't tell.

caitlins
Aug. 7, 2009, 11:57 PM
I have an 18 year old event horse that has the navicular changes in his front two. We put bar shoes, along with 3 degree wedges on, and he went from being an unhappy old guy to galloping around the field in a week. Only negative aspect I can think of is the shoes come off very easily if extra long nails are not used.
Hope this helped :)

Raison d'etre
Aug. 8, 2009, 02:07 AM
Eggbars with wedges (the shoe, not a separate wedge pad) worked for my mare. We also injected the coffin and put her on Isox. The vet was prepared to inject the navicular bursa if that all didn't work, but he didn't have to. The shoes made the biggest and most immediate difference. Kept her sound for another two years.

leelee
Aug. 8, 2009, 09:31 AM
A higher heel will help!

We did this with a 7yr old who had grade 1 navicular in his left front only. Over time, our farrier gave him more heel. The horse is now 20 and it has never become a problem. I'd do this, if possible, as opposed to using wedges all the time.