PDA

View Full Version : Crazy flying changes

forestergirl99
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:12 AM
I've been teaching my horse flying changes. He's pretty much automatic when you are jumping, but on the flat you still have to cue him. For some reason whenever you ask for the change, he leaps off the ground and then changes. He only does then when I'm working him on the flat though. When jumping he does them like a normal horse. Any idea why he's doing this?

LShipley
Aug. 7, 2009, 11:24 AM
My horse is also fairly new to lead changes will leap to do the change when she is not using her back or her hind end enough. If I take a moment to push her into my hands, and make sure she is lifting her front end before I ask, then she does a very pretty change. Maybe your horse gets going more forward when jumping, and is already using the back and butt muscles necessary for a smooth change? I think especially when horses learn their lead changes, they leap because they are trying to figure out where their legs need to go for the swap. But at least you are getting them!

VarsityHero4
Aug. 7, 2009, 03:27 PM
My four year old did that for every change for a while. When he first started figuring them out he'd just fall onto the forehand and swap the front. Then he started getting real changes. Then he figured out that real changes were fun and easier for him if he leaps through them. Now he's starting to relax and figure out how to do them smoothly.

Hang in there! He's probably just figuring them out.