PDA

View Full Version : Help with left lead

sansibar
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:18 AM
Alright so I posted asking for help with this girl a few weeks ago for her tendency to side step down the side of the arena, turns out she just wasn't impressed that there were horses out in the paddock beside the arena. :winkgrin:

But now I need help getting her left lead, here is her background, she used to show with a past owner, and then they leased her out to a girl who hadn't ridden before so we assume there was a lot of lets only work one way going on as now she only wants to pick up the right lead and then her current owners picked her up. However when released in the paddock she does canter on the left lead, and then when cantering over a pole on the right she swapped to the left, so does that eliminate any medical issues? Any ways I am training her for the lady who owns the barn where I have a horse retired (so no coach there to help me), so she wants the horse to just end up as a trail horse, but she is so pretty that I think she could make a great little schooling show hunter. She is also 13 so I am not too sure if we are too late to correct this. Heres a photo of Cheyanne (http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs187.snc1/6280_246495205313_500990313_8124521_4646656_n.jpg) .

I have her bending beautifully at the trot now, I try picking it up from the trot, and from the walk but nothing is really working.

beesknees
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:55 AM
13 isn't too old, my 23 year old still learns new tricks! She's beautiful btw!

this sounds like it might be a balance issue (possibly rider related or just the horse) and/or something fitting wrong with her saddle, or maybe even a soreness issue that is causing her problems with a rider on her back. Have you tried lunging/lungeing (why do I still not know how spell it? haha!) her and seeing which one she picks up?

sansibar
Aug. 7, 2009, 12:47 PM
13 isn't too old, my 23 year old still learns new tricks! She's beautiful btw!

this sounds like it might be a balance issue (possibly rider related or just the horse) and/or something fitting wrong with her saddle, or maybe even a soreness issue that is causing her problems with a rider on her back. Have you tried lunging/lungeing (why do I still not know how spell it? haha!) her and seeing which one she picks up?

Thanks :D I thought she was too pretty to just be a trail horse :)

Yes I have noticed I am a little weaker to the left, but it has been getting remarkably better when I train with my coach. She has done this with other riders not picking up the left lead. I have not yet lunged her but when she took off in the field she was on her left lead. I'll double check my saddle and I'll check her back out again, it sucks since I really only make it up there once or twice a week to ride her because it is 2 hours away. But I don't want to give up on her :)

beesknees
Aug. 7, 2009, 02:49 PM
keep working on it, does your coach travel? Maybe your coach can give you a hand. I have an awful right. The muscles in my obliques are shorter on the right and it makes me very crooked, so much so that one hip is about an inch higher than the other...I can't even get suit jackets to fit correctly and my horse's canter is poo-poo to the right because of it, haha! This is all from working in an office and crossing my legs all the time. So really, it may even be her muscle development that is throwing her off of the left lead. So many possibilities--why can't they just talk already.