PDA

View Full Version : Another Pony Question...Height Wise?

KingstonHill
Aug. 7, 2009, 08:53 AM
While were all on the pony topic, I have another question...While I was having a lesson with my trainer yesterday she asked me how big my connemara was and I said around 14.2ish...she told me the pony height in Dressage is a bit different than in the hunter ring. What is the exact height a pony can be, to be eligile for USDF pony status? I think hes 14.2 but may be a hair over. Thanks in advance..I'm new to the dressage world.

tempichange
Aug. 7, 2009, 09:21 AM
DR134.1:
Any animals not over 148 centimeters without shoes, or 149 centimeters with shoes are
classified as ponies. All other animals are classified as horses.

There is some wiggle room.

Ambrey
Aug. 7, 2009, 11:07 AM
But I don't think it matters, because I think only jrs can ride in the pony classes (or am I wrong?). If you're an adult, you just ride with the big boys and takes your chances ;)

KingstonHill
Aug. 7, 2009, 12:24 PM
She said something about a new pony division, has anyone heard about it?

poltroon
Aug. 7, 2009, 12:26 PM
But I don't think it matters, because I think only jrs can ride in the pony classes (or am I wrong?). If you're an adult, you just ride with the big boys and takes your chances ;)

That's true for the FEI classes, but there are more interesting options for adults on ponies all the time. CDS has a high score pony award available at every show, and it's not dependent on the age of the rider. There is also an all-pony dressage show running annually in the midwest.

Also, ACPS has awards for dressage, both a breed high score award and certificates of acheivement, that are worth pursuing.

Dune
Aug. 7, 2009, 12:41 PM

Just to clarify, only juniors can ride in the FEI PONY classes. Adults ride with the others in either A/A or Open classes, lower levels as well as the "regular" FEI classes.

That's true for the FEI classes, but there are more interesting options for adults on ponies all the time. CDS has a high score pony award available at every show, and it's not dependent on the age of the rider. There is also an all-pony dressage show running annually in the midwest.

See above, there are FEI PONY classes (equiv to 3rd level w/o the flying change) and then there are the "regular" FEI classes (PSG through GP). Only juniors can do the FEI PONY, anyone can do the latter. You weren't wrong, Poltroon, it's just a minor detail that confuses folks....something about hearing "FEI" and then nothing else after that. :lol::winkgrin:

Ambrey
Aug. 7, 2009, 02:18 PM
Just to clarify, only juniors can ride in the FEI PONY classes. Adults ride with the others in either A/A or Open classes, lower levels as well as the "regular" FEI classes.

Ah, thank you :)

Janet
Aug. 7, 2009, 02:32 PM
To clarify further, Adults can ride ponies at NATIONAL FEI level classes. But only non-ponies can compete at INTERNATIIONAL FEI level classes. Seldom Seen just snuck by.

KingstonHill
Aug. 7, 2009, 03:17 PM
What does 148cm equal to in hands? Sorry I'm math illiterate!

Janet
Aug. 7, 2009, 03:34 PM

From the rule book

18. For informational purposes only: 148 cm is approximately 14 hands 2 1/4 inches and 149
cm is approximately 14 hands 2 3/5 inches.

KingstonHill
Aug. 7, 2009, 03:37 PM
Thanks so much!

Ajierene
Aug. 7, 2009, 06:17 PM

about 14.2HH

And Janet posted before me....she's so quick!