PDA

View Full Version : Adult on pony at schooling show?

SarahandSam
Aug. 6, 2009, 07:46 PM
This weekend I was planning to enter Sam in the pleasure division at a local schooling show. We've only done w/t classes before, except for one w/t/c last summer in a division with only one other horse and a big ring, so that was pretty easy. This particular schooling show should be well-attended and the pleasure division is usually pretty large. It's going to be in the indoor arena, which is pretty small; I'm assuming they'll divide into groups for cantering, but I'm still just a little leery of taking my green horse (he wants to get heavy and fast at the canter; not crazy or out of control, but a little tough to hold together) into a smaller space with so many other horses--with all the circling and passing we'll have to do it will be especially tough to keep him together without breaking a lot.

It was suggested that maybe instead I could do a few of the other flat classes that will be in the main outside ring, probably with fewer horses... novice equitation u/s, baby green u/s, and pony hunter u/s. First two are fine, but for the pony hunter... I am an adult, but Sam is a pony. I know that adults can't show ponies in the pony division at rated shows, but for a schooling show, would it be acceptable, just for fun and to only do the u/s class (so we're not competing for division champion or anything)? The rules simply state that it's open to all ponies, and I figured that since it's a hunter class and he'll be judged rather than me, it would be okay. I'm just doing it for the experience and not likely to win--I don't mind having my butt kicked by all the youngsters who ride better than me. (: Does it seem like it would be okay for the experience? Would I have to talk to someone first to get permission, and if so, who? I just don't want to step on any toes.

(I do kinda look like I'm about twelve, so if I just wear garters and braids with bows, I could probably keep going right on to pony finals. d; )

Individualblue07
Aug. 6, 2009, 07:50 PM
sent you a pm ;) lol

Daventry
Aug. 6, 2009, 07:52 PM
Normally I would say no way! :no: But it really depends on the specs for your show. The Pony Hunter Division is normally only open to ponies under 14.2 HH and juniors under the age of 18. If your show is run differently, and they've made up their own regulations for the division or class, then maybe you can enter. On the grand scheme of things though, the Pony Hunter division is normally always the same Pony Hunter division that is only open to juniors. :yes:

MintHillFarm
Aug. 6, 2009, 09:13 PM
Check with the show management, but I would say no to the pony hunters. That is really for those under 18 yrs of age.

As for pleasure, adults, low hunters, etc, adults can show ponies...

If you just want ring experience with more classes to ride in, ask if you can go unjudged in the pony classes...

Addison
Aug. 7, 2009, 07:24 AM
Most schooling shows that I am familiar with do not prohibit adults from riding ponies. The whole point of the shows is to get some positive ring time. I would do as someone above suggested and call the management of the show , just to be sure.

katie16
Aug. 7, 2009, 08:22 AM
Check with show management as all schooling shows are different and we could not give you an accurate answer about the one you will be attending.

Some will stick to traditional USEF rules and not allow adults to show ponies in the pony hunter division, and others won't care. Typically I find that in cases where they don't permit adults on ponies in the pony hunter division, they often have another division that an adult could show a pony in instead.

If it seems to be unacceptable and there is no other division, ask if you could ride in the class as an unjudged competitor. You would still pay the entry fee, but not be eligible to be considered for an award in the class. I do this frequequently at our schooling shows with my babies - I stick them in walk-trot with riders who are far from being eligible just for the non-stress of a good learning experience for the horse/pony.

JWB
Aug. 7, 2009, 08:56 AM
Check with the show organizers. I showed in the pony hunters as an adult at some schooling shows but was SHOCKED to learn that I could. It really helped me get my pony out and seen by "appropriate" sized riders.

SarahandSam
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:17 AM
Thanks everyone! Will ask the managers about it. (:

Moocow
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:21 AM
Most schooling shows that I am familiar with do not prohibit adults from riding ponies. The whole point of the shows is to get some positive ring time. I would do as someone above suggested and call the management of the show , just to be sure.

I'm also used to schooling shows where it didn't matter whether you were an adult or kid on a pony. I'm one of the ones that did it quite often (I'm under 5'2" so I got on a lot of the bratty ponies before the kids for a round or two) and never had a problem with it. I was never there to win ribbons, just get the pony some mileage. In fact if I happened to place with them against kids, I've turned down ribbons so that somebody else (a kid) could have it instead. No harm done, right?

SarahandSam
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:52 AM
I'm also used to schooling shows where it didn't matter whether you were an adult or kid on a pony. I'm one of the ones that did it quite often (I'm under 5'2" so I got on a lot of the bratty ponies before the kids for a round or two) and never had a problem with it. I was never there to win ribbons, just get the pony some mileage. In fact if I happened to place with them against kids, I've turned down ribbons so that somebody else (a kid) could have it instead. No harm done, right?

But I waaaaaant a ribbon. They're pretty and I'm paying $15 a class for one. d; I'll beat those kiddies fair and square! ;)

dauntless
Aug. 7, 2009, 11:52 AM
I think it should be absolutely FINE for an adult to show a pony in a pony hunter division at a schooling show. Why not?! As long as it isn't a "junior" division - then why not!

At many schooling shows in my area, divisions are set by height - ie/ 2.3, 2.6, 2.9. Ponies compete against horses, and are welcome to add a step down the lines. I've never heard about any complaints with this system!

SarahandSam
Aug. 7, 2009, 12:02 PM
I think it should be absolutely FINE for an adult to show a pony in a pony hunter division at a schooling show. Why not?! As long as it isn't a "junior" division - then why not!

At many schooling shows in my area, divisions are set by height - ie/ 2.3, 2.6, 2.9. Ponies compete against horses, and are welcome to add a step down the lines. I've never heard about any complaints with this system!

At most shows I've seen, including this one, the divisions are by height and are open to horses and ponies--only the pony division is specifically for ponies. Eventually I hope to show him in regular adult divisions, but we need some practice before that. I do think it's silly that adults aren't allowed to show ponies in the pony hunter division... I understand having age divisions when it comes to equitation, but when the pony itself is being judged it kinda stinks for adults who like ponies and have to ride them with the horse-size distances. Ah, well.

ponyjumper4
Aug. 7, 2009, 12:07 PM
Pony Hunter classes and divisions usually are and should be restricted to just juniors on ponies. Being an adult pony rider myself, there are plenty of other classes and divisions at schooling shows to show a pony in.

Hunter Mom
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:32 PM
Two of the three circuits in our area don't restrict rider age in ponies. it is quite common, in fact, for the younger adults to ride a pony they're bringing along for mileage at those. One, however, does limit ponies to being ridden by juniors.

Flash44
Aug. 8, 2009, 08:44 AM
I have a little bit of a problem with an adult showing a pony against kids - even if it is allowed. Personally, I would look for an open division with low jumps, and if I had to go in a division loaded with kids, I would go unjudged.

Summit Springs Farm
Aug. 8, 2009, 11:04 AM
You can go in the schooling HUNTER, I wouldn't go in schooling pony just because its normally for the kids. And there seems like plenty of other classes for you to go in. Good Luck!!

Void
Aug. 9, 2009, 08:55 PM
I do it all the time at schooling shows (5'3" and a baby face make 23 year old me look 14). I have a hard enough time showing AA, A/O at rated shows on a horse without having a steward come up and ask to see my driver's license.