PDA

View Full Version : Working on Eq?

Sunny Side Up
Aug. 6, 2009, 03:18 PM
Do you guys have an good tips on how to work on your Eq. riding alone?
Basically...I really want to improve my eq. This being said, I don't ride horrible, but I want to keep getting better..so, what are your tips (if that makes sense)? Like, when your hacking/schooling by yourself, what type of things do you do to improve your eq? (There's obviously things like no stirrup work, etc.). How to you remind yourself? I always try to remind myself, but then I get SO upset and it doesn't help.
Also, I have lessons once a week but I ride two really hard horses to ride (they're the most STICKY, stuck behind the leg horses you'll ever ride! Ug).
This is probably sounding like a stupid post, but give me tips!

rabicon
Aug. 6, 2009, 03:31 PM
Its really hard to say. Its hard working without eyes on the ground. I usually just really concentrate on waiting for my horse when I jump him. If you do no stirrup work make sure you don't pinch with your knees. Also do grids without irons and then without reins. That will really help your position over fences.

EquineRider
Aug. 6, 2009, 04:56 PM
I remember seeing some sort of audio "lesson" in a horse magazine for sale where you could buy it and put it on your ipod. You had an instructor that would remind you about your equitation and IIRC, she gave exercises as well. I have no idea what it was called, but for someone riding alone, it sounded like a great tool to have!

hellerkm
Aug. 6, 2009, 05:54 PM
Remember that your toe should not be out in front of the girth , try stretching up tall into your helmet ( like you are balancing a bucket of water on your head) , remember to keep your thumbs on top, and to carry your hands. All little things that make a pretty picture! And READ, there are plenty of books on EQ that will help you remember what you should be doing!

Sunny Side Up
Aug. 6, 2009, 08:07 PM
I remember seeing some sort of audio "lesson" in a horse magazine for sale where you could buy it and put it on your ipod. You had an instructor that would remind you about your equitation and IIRC, she gave exercises as well. I have no idea what it was called, but for someone riding alone, it sounded like a great tool to have!

Hmmm..I should look for that.
Thanks for the tips guys, keep them coming!

IsolaBella09
Aug. 6, 2009, 08:24 PM
I always try to incorporate some no stirrup work and advanced dressage work into my flatting routine. Serpentines, leg yields, half passes, haunches/shoulders in/out, turn on the forehand, turn on the haunch, etc. I like to practice equitation tests. I'll make a small test like: left lead hand gallop the long side, collected canter on short side, roll back sitting trot, halt, counter canter to the right around the corner, on the long side sitting trot, half pass in, halt. Canter work in two point preferably.

Ready2Ride
Aug. 6, 2009, 08:39 PM
I always do up-up-down posting.
and sometimes I will do crazy figure 8's just go down the diagonal from corner to corner, and alternate like 2-point on the ends, up-up down across.etc. or I will alternate sitting, posting, 2-point, up-up down a different one for like a lap each or just down one side each. I also do stuff like egg and spoon or balance a crop across my hands or put a whip behind my back under my elbows etc. to keep it a little interesting.