PDA

View Full Version : Tall Boot Care

dauphine2
Aug. 6, 2009, 03:12 PM
I got my first pair of tall boots in late December/early January and I feel like they're already wearing out a bit (or at least quicker than they should be). They're Ariat Crowne Pros and I ride in them almost everyday, often times up to four times a day. I clean every night after I use them, or at least wipe them off. They're stored at home, not at the barn, so the weather can't have anything to do with it.

Basically what's happening is the the inside of the calf is really rubbed, more so than anybody else in the barn, even people that have had their boots for years. And lately I've been noticing that my horse seems to a lot closer to my leg, like there's almost no leather there at all. They certainly aren't about to fall apart, but they might be in 3 years or so.

Any suggestions on what this is and how to stop it or treat it?

forestergirl99
Aug. 6, 2009, 03:57 PM
The Crownes are made of calk skin right?? Well there is your problem. Calf skin is meant to break in quickly and be super soft. Not to hold up to a lot of abuse. Riding in them everyday is probably the reason they are wearing out. If you just rode in them for shows, they wouldn't be wearing out so fast. Once they start to wear out, the only thing you can do is replace the boots or just stop wearing them all the time. Invest in some paddock boots and half chaps. :yes: That way you don't waste your money buying new boots just to have them wear out again.

chawley
Aug. 6, 2009, 04:09 PM
Yea, like dauphine2 said, the leather on the Crowns are much softer and will wear very quick. These types of boots aren't really meant for heavy use. If you want a tall boot to ride in daily, I'd consider a fully lined boot w/ a heavier leather such as the older Ariat Heritages (no zipper) or Challenges (new ones are definitely softer), or the Mountain Horse Richmonds.

I have calf skin custom Vogels that I only use for showing and they already have a hole in inside calf after only two seasons. It's just the trade-off for a super soft boot that breaks in easy.

dauphine2
Aug. 7, 2009, 10:27 PM
Okay. :( Thanks guys. I guess I'll either buy another pair of boots for everyday, or just ride in half chaps. Probably just ride in half chaps. School is starting back up soon and I don't usually change after school when I ride anyways. Hopefully these guys can last a few more years.

I'll be getting a pair of Vogel's for my 16th birthday - my mom wanted to make sure that I didn't grow anymore before she spent the big bucks. :lol: How well does the french leather hold up vs. the baby calf? (for Vogels)

I'd hate to think about how long it takes for a pair of Monacos to wear out.

forestergirl99
Aug. 8, 2009, 02:23 PM
Okay. :( Thanks guys. I guess I'll either buy another pair of boots for everyday, or just ride in half chaps. Probably just ride in half chaps. School is starting back up soon and I don't usually change after school when I ride anyways. Hopefully these guys can last a few more years.

I'll be getting a pair of Vogel's for my 16th birthday - my mom wanted to make sure that I didn't grow anymore before she spent the big bucks. :lol: How well does the french leather hold up vs. the baby calf? (for Vogels)

I'd hate to think about how long it takes for a pair of Monacos to wear out.

French leather is more durable than calf, but it isn't as soft. I would go for the french leather if you are going to wear them a lot, and baby calf if you aren't going to wear them much.

IsolaBella09
Aug. 8, 2009, 07:55 PM
I have the Crownes too. I make sure I clean them after every ride, but I too have noticed that the inside of my calves feel closer than they did before. Until they get a hole in them, I'm going to keep riding in them. I use them mainly as show boots, and my Challenges as schooling boots. My Challenges have lasted over 6 years and still clean up very nicely.