View Full Version : Changing Bits in a Two phase Classs

Aug. 6, 2009, 02:14 PM
Interesting question has come up to the organisers of a local state HJ final Are you allowed to switch bits between the jumping phase and then call back flat phase of a medal class.

upon looking at Usef rules under Hunt Seat Equitaion we found that it is permissible ( i"m sorry i don"t have the talent to paste the rule here) Is this Correct for classes such as the Maclay?

Is this a common practice and allowed for classes that have a flat phase such as the USET or Maclay??

The final in question is judged 50% fences 50%flat does that make a difference Is maclay or USET judged that way as well?

any imput from riders trainers judges would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Aug. 6, 2009, 05:42 PM
Bump i was hoping someone had some insight :)

Aug. 6, 2009, 08:21 PM
Allowed per rules. Probably more common in cases where you have some warning that you're going to hack or it's part of the class description. I don't recall seeing a lot of bridle changing going on at the back gate, but I'm not at the back gate for many big eq classes. My advice to the local association would be to clearly state the rule in the class specs, whatever it is that they decide. Would also tend to go with the USEF rule since part of the point of the smaller organizations is to prep people for bigger stuff.

Aug. 6, 2009, 09:09 PM
I see a lot of switching for the USET, and very, very seldom switching of bits for something like the Maclay. I believe you are allowed to unless it states other wise.

Aug. 6, 2009, 09:16 PM
As far as I know you are allowed to switch bits for the USET but not for the Maclay. The USET is judged as different phases while the Maclay is judged as a single class

Aug. 6, 2009, 09:52 PM
The general rules for hunt seat (EQ 109.2) state: "Martingales are permitted in classes over obstacles and in the jumping phase of classes requiring both jumping and flat work. Changing of bits between phases is permissible."

Maclay does not specify tack so presume it goes by the above.

USET portion (EQ 112.13) states: "2. Change of bridle is permissible, between phases. 3. Blinkers are forbidden. 4. No martingales of any kind are permitted in the flat phase." (one would assume that a change of bridle assumes a change of bit)

Link: http://www.usef.org/documents/ruleBook/2009/11-EQ.pdf

Aug. 7, 2009, 07:38 AM
Thank you for the input and pasting the rule and link Chronicle always helps thanks again:)