PDA

View Full Version : breeches, heat and skin issues. Help?

akhunterrider
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:38 PM
I don't ride much, so my schooling breeches are limited. I have two pairs of the cotton TS breeches. I have a pastel pink pair that seems to be the thinner of the two, but in any case riding in the heat in either pair causes some major issues. I get a heat rash, consisting of bumps and some sores.

What would you suggest to help prevent these?

Different breeches?

wearing something under the breeches?

powders, creams, etc?

Just dealing with it?

Thanks!

suze
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:51 PM
Anti Monkey Butt Powder. Great stuff. No chafing at all.

akhunterrider
Aug. 6, 2009, 04:11 PM
I've seen the anti monkey butt powder around here. What's the best way to use it?

bear necessities
Aug. 6, 2009, 04:13 PM
Anti Monkey Butt Powder. Great stuff. No chafing at all.

Very true, put it on whatever gets heat rash before you put your breeches on! Cornstarch also does the same thing..although it doesn't have the cool name. I get awful heat rash on my legs, mainly my knees and back of my legs because my skin is so sensitive. :no: The aftermath of horse shows is the worse for me! After having my breeches on and sweating for hours my knees have red bumps all over them. Generally Cortaid works well for me to help clear up with the bumps within a day or two. Although after last weekend's show where it was 90 degrees it took a good three days, that sucked. I looked like a leper from the knee down.

akhunterrider
Aug. 6, 2009, 05:57 PM
Very true, put it on whatever gets heat rash before you put your breeches on! Cornstarch also does the same thing..although it doesn't have the cool name. I get awful heat rash on my legs, mainly my knees and back of my legs because my skin is so sensitive. :no: The aftermath of horse shows is the worse for me! After having my breeches on and sweating for hours my knees have red bumps all over them. Generally Cortaid works well for me to help clear up with the bumps within a day or two. Although after last weekend's show where it was 90 degrees it took a good three days, that sucked. I looked like a leper from the knee down.

I totally know how you feel. I had an open sore in the middle of my leg that had just healed and I had another jumping lesson on Tuesday when it was 90+ degrees. The sore opened back up, I got another one in the bend of my knee and ended up with lots of bumps on my inner thighs as well. I will certainly try one of the two. Thanks!

kookicat
Aug. 6, 2009, 06:07 PM
Could you try one of the fabrics that wicks heat/perspiration away from your skin? I love cotton myself, but it does trap sweat against your skin and can chaff very badly.

Something like this? (http://www.charlottes-saddlery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=50200&Category_Code=PNTSBRCHSLDS&Product_Count=9)

Meredith Clark
Aug. 6, 2009, 06:27 PM
When i'm hot I can't wear cotton breeches.

I have a few pairs of Kerrits pull on tights. The fabric is so soft and it keeps me cool. They're a bit slippery so I don't jump the big stuff with them. They're also really easy to get on and off.. nothing is worse than pealing off hot stick britches! :eek:

valencia
Aug. 6, 2009, 08:45 PM
Baby powder works too.

AGRHJRider
Aug. 6, 2009, 09:10 PM
i feel your pain... I get the same problem when its hot and I sweat a lot riding.
Ive learned that the gold bond powder works great, and also if you can find any Under Armor compression wear it keeps the skin from chafing by creating a soft barrier that wicks away moisture.
Also when you wash it at night make sure you use a gentle soap, and believe it or not a sensitive skin shave lotion or gel will help soothe the burn.
Amazing enough the shave gel thing works great if you get a rash from loading hay...

akhunterrider
Aug. 7, 2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

I had a pair of Irideon tights a few years back and I really liked them, but they died. :( I am considering buying another pair just for schooling, I am just a bit snobby and like my tailoreds. I have under armour clothing, but none of the lightweight pants. I'm just worried about wearing extra layers and being even hotter. I will try some of the powder first.