PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for liability...interested in hosting fun jump day, clinics, etc.

TrotTrotPumpkn
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm sure some of you are facility owners. Our state law covers BO's and equine professionals for "equine participants," but I'm reading it as grey on people who show up to watch and didn't bring a horse. My friend has built a wonderful little facility and I'm sure she is interested in seeing it used. However, I worry about liability for all of us (boarders and BO). For instance, I built the jumps, which are in good repair (brand new) but crazy stuff happens. One of my horses will bite (even though someone would have to go into a pasture with her). That kind of stuff.

So I'm just wondering how you cover yourself... I was thinking 1) insurance 2) post applicable state law signs 3) waivers for particpants and NON-particpants 4)a sign on the boarding barn telling people to stay out period (this is sep. from the arena and tack up area for visitors). Any other ideas? We don't have a sep. viewing area and every barn I've visited just puts up chairs in a corner of the arena....

Anyone willing to share their waivers with me (I promise I won't hold you liable)--I'm just looking for a starting point in drafting them and will need to research our caselaw too.

I mean it is a SHAME not to use the facility and share it with people...

Meliora
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:18 PM
If you own a horse facility (big or small) you need to have insurance to cover any incidents. Have your friend call her insurance company and see how much it is to add a clinic or whatever she is looking to do. Mine is very reasonable. Good luck:)

TrotTrotPumpkn
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:12 PM
If you own a horse facility (big or small) you need to have insurance to cover any incidents. Have your friend call her insurance company and see how much it is to add a clinic or whatever she is looking to do. Mine is very reasonable. Good luck:)

So you actually purchase additional insurance for each event? Or something like a series of events? I can see the "fun days" not happening--you'd almost need to charge people to come school I guess.

I've been thinking and another issue could be that someone sues the instructor (she's not giving lessons).

Janet
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:37 PM
So I'm just wondering how you cover yourself... I was thinking 1) insurance 2) post applicable state law signs 3) waivers for particpants and NON-particpants 4)a sign on the boarding barn telling people to stay out period (this is sep. from the arena and tack up area for visitors). Any other ideas? We don't have a sep. viewing area and every barn I've visited just puts up chairs in a corner of the arena....
All of the above.

1)Find out if the existing insurance will cover the "outsiders" (depends on exactly how the policy is structured) or whether you need to pay extra for the "activity". I know that eventing clincs can get "activity" coverage for $75 (I think) per day from USCTA. Something similar might be available from USHJA.

2) Yes, post the state law signs

3) Yes, Waivers (for the facility and for the organizer) for participants. Not sure about spectators, but it makes sense for them to- check with the insurance agent or company.

4) Yes, sign to keep vistors only in the visitors' area.

5) If there are facility rules (like "no riding without a helmet"), post those prominently too.