View Full Version : Pony's Tail?!? what to do?!?

Aug. 6, 2009, 07:27 AM
So my pony has decided she enjoys the look of her tail being rubbed out at the top. She has a lovely nice thick full tail but at the top she has it so short because how much she is rubbing it. Ive tried everything from putting listerine on it, MTG, Miracle Groom. she is up to date on her worming ext. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Small Change
Aug. 6, 2009, 09:58 AM
Wash her udder, belly line and under her tail, then keep them sparkling clean and itch-free. Often horses rub their tails when they can't scratch and unreachable spot. :)

Aug. 6, 2009, 10:05 AM
I have also heard that listerine helps stop itchiness.

Aug. 6, 2009, 10:28 AM
I work at a tb breeding farm and were currently getting yearling ready for the Keeneland sale and many of there tails are rubbed. Preperation H works really well, one tube doesnt go too far so stock up! Just rub a good amount all over the top of the tail working it down into the skin. If your too embarassed about buying large quanities of it, we also use witch hassel in a spray bottle that works well too!

Aug. 6, 2009, 10:29 AM
If you use listerine make sure to dilute it in water some.

Aug. 6, 2009, 11:08 AM
Try washing with Head and Shoulders Dandruff shampoo. Really scrub and really rinse. Make sure to get the tail bone all the way the skin.

Aug. 6, 2009, 11:57 AM
Have you tried the Equss (sp?) Shampoo and their Micro-Tek spray? Pricey, but IMO, very helpful when both are used regularly. I also would second the suggestion to wash her udder, that might be itchy too. I never completely brush through a tail but everyday because I don't want to pull hairs out unneccessarily, but I DO brush the dock to help the itchies and to smooth the hairs, it's working for mine that last year really rubbed the top of her tail. :yes:

Aug. 6, 2009, 12:00 PM
Try Solarcaine Aloe gel with lidocaine. Cheap and it works. Use on and around the base of the tail. :)