PDA

View Full Version : how many to ride same horse in hunters?

nlk
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:30 PM
A friend and I were talking this past weekend.

What's to keep an owner from putting more then one rider on their horse at a show and racking up points in one division?

Is there a specific rule against this, like you can't have more then one rider on one horse in the same division at one show? ( I have looked in our local rules and can't find anything specifically related to that)

Curiosity.... and as no now else rides my horse it will not benefit me!:cool:

steeltheisland123
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:36 AM
I am pretty sure that the horse can only go once in a hunter class. Like a rider can only go once in an equitation class. The rider of the hunter can ride an unlimited number of horses/ponies in the same division but each horse/pony can only go once. In equitation the horse can go an unlimited number of times but the rider can only go once.

Seal Harbor
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:48 AM
A friend and I were talking this past weekend.

What's to keep an owner from putting more then one rider on their horse at a show and racking up points in one division?

Is there a specific rule against this, like you can't have more then one rider on one horse in the same division at one show? ( I have looked in our local rules and can't find anything specifically related to that)

Curiosity.... and as no now else rides my horse it will not benefit me!:cool:

The Rules. It is against the Rules to have more than one rider on the same horse in the same class in the hunters. The horse is being judged not the rider. A horse could have more than one rider for the division - but not in the individual classes. If a rider has more than one to show in the under saddle for a division they get others to hack the extras. Over fences each horse gets to go only one time. They are judged once. The back number is assigned to the horse not the rider.

Vandy
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:09 AM
In equitation the horse can go an unlimited number of times but the rider can only go once.Actually, at a rated show and at every schooling show I've ever attended, the horse can only go once in the Eq also.

steeltheisland123
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:15 AM
Actually, at a rated show and at every schooling show I've ever attended, the horse can only go once in the Eq also.

oh ok I wasn't positive so my mistake!

superpony123
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:55 AM
A horse can only go once in a hunter class. It's hunters, judged on the horse. Just like in eq, you can only go once. Technically, I believe, the same horse can go multiple times in an eq class w/ different riders (but you'd never see this at higher levels. I see it occasionally in, like, beginner equitation, if you can call it that, though technically it's an eq class so it's okay)

HunterRider992
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:29 AM
For anyone wondering, the reason a horse can go only once in an eq class is that the rider has to ride the same horse in the O/F portion as the test.

Janet
Aug. 6, 2009, 08:22 AM
Since the horse is being judged, the horse can only go once in each class.

If you mean "junior rides him in the Children's Hunter, amateur rides him in the A/A Hunter, another rides him in the low hunter", yes, you can do that, but most shows don't combine points from different divisions.

If you mean rider A rides in class 16 of that A/A, and rider B rides in class 17, yes, you can do that, but I don't see how you get any advantage.

katie16
Aug. 6, 2009, 11:39 AM
Actually, at a rated show and at every schooling show I've ever attended, the horse can only go once in the Eq also.

This would hold true in a Medal class or any class where testing might be involved. However, in something like a Maiden Equit class the Peter Packer horse could carry multiple riders around if needed.

Vandy
Aug. 6, 2009, 05:46 PM
Well, I'll be darned. From the USEF Rulebook:

EQ104.9 In Open Equitation and Medal classes, horses may not be ridden by more than one rider per class.

Guess this implies that it would be okay for Novice Eq or Short Stirrup or something. Somehow I'd not noticed this in the rulebook before - thanks for motivating me to look this up :)

I still haven't ever seen it happen at a rated show, and I don't think I'll be subjecting my lower level horses to multiple rounds in the same beginner eq O/F class though...their jobs are tough enough as it is :lol:

Quin
Aug. 6, 2009, 07:00 PM
I would think even most local associations have it buried in their rules someplace; horse can only go once per division except in some real beginner levels.

Come to think, there was a little show a few winters ago where our barn had 3 lesson students doing the "ground poles division". Division is 2 classes over poles and one Eq on the flat; cantering is absolutely forbidden. Two kids were supposed to share one schoolie and the third was supposed to ride another schoolie. When they got to the show, one schoolie turned up lame or threw a shoe or something. They went ahead and all rode the same horse for 2 classes each for their 'jumping' rounds - I mean, the schoolie really didn't think that trotting around the arena half a dozen times was that much of a hardship. He'd go around, come back to the gate, and we'd pull one kid off and plunk another one on him and send him out for another trip around the ring. For the flat class, trainer borrowed one horse from another of her own riders and borrowed a school pony from the show barn, and a good time was had by all!

In the real world, all I can think you could do would be to have rider #1 show the horse at show #1, then have rider #2 show at show #2; if the points follow the horse and not the rider, then your horse could accumulate more year-end points even if you couldn't make all the shows yourself.

nlk
Aug. 7, 2009, 12:39 AM
Well that's what I thought but can't find it!!!!

Thanks all for your input!

katie16
Aug. 7, 2009, 08:43 AM
It sounds like there might be some confusion here between who gets the points, the horse or the rider? The answer is that it depends upon the division/class.

Any equitation class (from walk-trot to medal/maclay), becuase it is judging the rider, awards the points to the rider, regardless of the horse ridden. Equitation classes sometimes have the following words in their titile: Equitation, Horesemanship, Medal.

If it's not an equitation class, then it is a performance class and is judging the horse, regardless of who is riding it (although the rider must be eligible for the class as well (example: Junior Hunters must have riders under 18yrs, etc.). Performance classes can include hunter divisions, pleasure divisions, etc.

Therefore, per the OP's question: What's to keep an owner from putting more then one rider on their horse at a show and racking up points in one division?

The answer is as follows:
If it's a performance division, the horse can only carry one rider per class. If there are three classes in the division, regardless whether the same rider or different riders rode him he could only be shown three times and receive points from the three classes.

If it were an equitation division (assuming not an open equit division or Medal), the horse could carry any number of riders. It is irrelevent because the points earned are being awarded to each individual rider - the horse receives zero points.

Janet
Aug. 7, 2009, 08:45 AM
Well that's what I thought but can't find it!!!!

Thanks all for your input!

I am confused by your comment.

WHAT is it that you are looking for but can't find?

katie16
Aug. 7, 2009, 08:51 AM
Come to think, there was a little show a few winters ago where our barn had 3 lesson students doing the "ground poles division". Division is 2 classes over poles and one Eq on the flat; cantering is absolutely forbidden. Two kids were supposed to share one schoolie and the third was supposed to ride another schoolie. When they got to the show, one schoolie turned up lame or threw a shoe or something. They went ahead and all rode the same horse for 2 classes each for their 'jumping' rounds - I mean, the schoolie really didn't think that trotting around the arena half a dozen times was that much of a hardship. He'd go around, come back to the gate, and we'd pull one kid off and plunk another one on him and send him out for another trip around the ring.

I, as well as several other trainers, do this every month at our local schooling show.

I have more once-a-week lesson students without a critter of their own than I do school horses and ponies. Many of them show at the same level and there is no way I could have one critter for each of them - they have to share! Therefore, we do as the poster quoted here explained. Those sharing are all at the short stirrup level or below so definitley not taxing on the critters.