PDA

View Full Version : which color yarn?

superpony123
Aug. 5, 2009, 10:01 PM
Dark dappled grey pony mare. very last minute ride. Mane is silvery with some darker grey in it. However, when I hold my white and black yarn up to her mane, each one stands out quite a bit. Now I know the yarn shouldn't show up too much, but my braids arent perfect, so I don't need to be drawing attention ;)

Which color would you go with? I wish I had a recent picture of her, but I don't :cry:

.... i actually have a silvery (but slightly LIGHT LIGHT baby pink) yarn from making bracelets, and I actually think it would blend pretty well, but I'm not so sure :lol:

which color is less likely to be noticed? I want her to look her best - but my braids arent the most gorgeous in the world or anything (but again they're acceptable quality) so I dont want them to stick out like an eye sore with super contrasting yarn..

Across Sicily
Aug. 5, 2009, 10:10 PM
Can't you just go get some gray yarn somewhere?

superpony123
Aug. 5, 2009, 10:15 PM
Can't you just go get some gray yarn somewhere?

Normally, yes. I don't have time to go out tomorrow, other than to the barn (where i'll be most of the day, anyway). A million things to do. And this is probably one of the only times I'm showing this pony, anyway (not that yarn costs all that much anyway but regardless, I won't be able to get out to the store.

KLS
Aug. 5, 2009, 10:16 PM
If I had to choose, I'd go with the black. It's less likely to really pop out color-wise (even on ponies with so-grey-they're-white manes, black hardly shows), and the judge shouldn't be looking at the color of your yarn anyway.

hideyourheart03
Aug. 5, 2009, 10:56 PM
I love, love, love navy blue on a grey. JMHO though.

fourmares
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:06 AM
Black. In the future you might try lavendar.

Across Sicily
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:54 AM
Ohhh okay. In that case yeah - I'd go with black. I used white on a flaxen mane not too long ago (owner's request) and it looked pretty obvious.

*Liz*
Aug. 6, 2009, 06:29 AM
Obviously grey would be preferable, but given what you have, I would do either black or the light pink. I've seen dark dappled greys done with either maroon or navy blue before and that looked really sharp - but those were really tight, beautiful braids. For subtlety, I'd go with either the pink or the black, whichever stands out less.

gotrocks
Aug. 6, 2009, 07:57 AM
Light Pink....just go with whatever blends the best...you can get away with almost any color now so maybe light pink and grey will be a new thing :)

Addison
Aug. 6, 2009, 08:33 AM
Black or navy. Unless your braids a really good, I would avoid light colours.

Blackberry Farm
Aug. 6, 2009, 10:56 AM
Black.

Lessonlady
Aug. 6, 2009, 11:17 AM
If you use the pink, wear a pink shirt! :-D

katie16
Aug. 6, 2009, 11:28 AM
Since you say you must choose between the black and the white - I would go with the black. I NEVER use white. If I'm doing a palamino's "white" mane I usually use cream. If I am doing a grey's mane that is pretty much white I will use a very light grey - or sometimes a very faint baby blue or very faint lavendar if it's a cute little kids pony. But never white . . . I find it just stands out way too much and it shows every spec of dirt/stain if they rub/itch etc.

gottagrey
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:20 PM
I was at an "AA" show and a couple of ponies had their manes done up in that multi-color yarn it was very cute and as long as you knot underneath it doesn't stand out quite as much... these manes were white though