PDA

View Full Version : Tall boots with most forgiving ankle (sorry for another boot thread)

rottngirl
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:52 PM
Sorry for another boot thread but after searching and reading through all the boot threads I can't find what I am looking for:

a tall boot with very soft/forgiving ankle leather
price is a secondary consideration to maintaining the nerves in my feet :cool:

My Ariat boots are broken in but the top of my foot is still going numb on rides :no:

What non-custom tall boot has the softest/most supple leather, with the shortest/least amount break-in time????

TIA :)

IsolaBella09
Aug. 5, 2009, 10:04 PM
The Ariat Monacos are butter soft and form to your leg very easily. I know a bunch of people who have them and they always look very soft. They are a pretty penny ($900) but if you are having problems with your nerves, then they may be worth it. Sergio Grasso used to make a stretch leather boot, the Perugias I think, but I believe they discontinued them. Ebay may have something though.

rottngirl
Aug. 5, 2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the tip Isola.

I can live with the pain and the bruises but the never damage, that crosses a line!!

JOBEAN
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:02 PM
If youre willing to pay 900 for off the rack... should look in to custom..vogels.
Dont think they're too much more..jmo..

Brooke
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:10 PM
I loved my cuff-lined boots. Very, very soft leather on the ankle. It was a million years ago and they were custom from Dehner but I'm sure others make them. Even 1/2 lined boots would be nice on your ankle.

LetsRide
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:10 PM
Sorry for another boot thread but after searching and reading through all the boot threads I can't find what I am looking for:

a tall boot with very soft/forgiving ankle leather
price is a secondary consideration to maintaining the nerves in my feet :cool:

My Ariat boots are broken in but the top of my foot is still going numb on rides :no:

What non-custom tall boot has the softest/most supple leather, with the shortest/least amount break-in time????

TIA :)

IF your Ariats have the stretch one piece boot laces try switching those out for tradition field boot laces. That way you can open up the area over your instep a bit. ;)

rottngirl
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks Jobean and Brooke!

How long does it take to get customs made??

LetsRide, GREAT IDEA, yes my Ariat's have the elastic. I'll swap that out for a traditional lace and see if that helps.

Plumcreek
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:38 AM
Do you mean ankle wrinkles or pressure over the foot top?

For ankle wrinkles, My Der Dau boots have something he called a Savoy (??) cut at the ankle. The transition seam from foot to leg leather is lower down than normal and the leather wrinkles do not hurt my ankle like other standard design boots I have owned.

Lucassb
Aug. 6, 2009, 09:42 AM
Have you tried the tall boots with the stretch leather? I have a pair of the Sergio Grasso Perugia's that I absolutely love - in fact, my custom Vogels now sit in the back of my closet, unused as a result. The Perugia boots were discontinued but I believe Mountain Horse now makes a similar model. http://www.mountainhorseusa.net/spring_supreme_field_boot.html

My trainer bought a pair of these and she too has now chucked her customs!

rottngirl
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:09 PM
Plumpcreek, yes over the tops of my ankles where it flexs to allow heel drop is my problem.

Lucassb, those look comfy!!! My only question is if the ankle part (where the laces are and the soft leather flops over) is still going to be stiff?

Giddyup
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:08 PM
I had stiffness problems with my Bevals where my ankle was getting rubbed since they weren't getting soft enough. After going thru a box of band-aids waiting for them to break in, I saturated the inside of the ankle area with Neatsfoot oil, then rode in them. The heat of my leg seemed to heat up the oil and the ankles softened in a few rides. Much more comfortable!

rottngirl
Aug. 6, 2009, 11:52 PM
Thanks to everyone for help here!

After researching the Der Dau's I was compelled to go try some on today -- and walked away with them!!! The leather is sooo soft and supple out of the box, I get the "zero break in time" comments. My ankles are in heaven, I can't wait to ride in them :D

Do you mean ankle wrinkles or pressure over the foot top?

For ankle wrinkles, My Der Dau boots have something he called a Savoy (??) cut at the ankle. The transition seam from foot to leg leather is lower down than normal and the leather wrinkles do not hurt my ankle like other standard design boots I have owned.

Addison
Aug. 7, 2009, 07:20 AM
LUCASSB ..those boots look like a great find at a great price. I'll keep those in mind as so many people have trouble finding a comfortable boot that is affordable too.

OP...both my daughter and myself have Der Daus and have been very happy with them, instantly comfortable and nice quality as well.