PDA

View Full Version : most likely stupid question... lol

Individualblue07
Aug. 5, 2009, 08:08 PM
How common is it for riders to get bucked off?

After 16 years of riding, I finally managed to get bucked off my trainers recently sold warmblood jumper. Threw two ginormous bucks and down I went. I was just curious as to whether getting bucked off doesnt come as a surprise to most people or does it depend on the horses?

IsolaBella09
Aug. 5, 2009, 08:14 PM
Not uncommon. Every horse will throw a good buck in every now and then if they're excited. I've almost come off when my horse decided a crow hop would be fun to do...Right.

I used to ride a big warmblood that could buck and twist, so it was nearly impossible to stay on when he decided to "feel his youth", so to speak. :lol:

AnotherRound
Aug. 5, 2009, 08:23 PM
You were overdue. It happens to everyone at some time or other, if you ride often enough.

Ride2Dreams
Aug. 5, 2009, 08:32 PM
I think I have only been bucked off twice in my life... I am famous for the "jump slide" .... In other words I retrained a horse which was abused over the jumps and when I got him jumping again he was infamous for the "pick up the front feet, gonna jump! No! then plant them while bowing head" move and I was infamous for my "He's going! Get that butt out of the saddle!" move.. which in turn... sent me sliding down his neck and into the jump .. many, many, many, many times. And that saint of a horse would stand there, nudge me with his nose like "WTH you doing down there mum" look and I would sheepishly climb back up just to do it again.

Oddly enough this same horse loved hunt paces and would never take a wrong step or dirty move when out on a pace. Only in the ring.

superpony123
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:07 PM
Yano, I've fallen off my pony a good number of times but never from bucking. And he is well known for his bucking. I think that's why I've never fallen off for it: I expect it. His bucks are nothing to me. They don't throw me around at all, don't take me off balance, Im fine. I know when he's going to buck.

Ridden other buckers, but never fallen off of them for bucking. *Shrug*

And I've fallen off a lot.

On the other hand, it's a pretty common reason for people to fall off. It's just never happened to me yet :)

mortebella
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:13 PM
Isn't it *almost* endearing how they get that look of bemused concern on their faces right after they dump you, almost breaking something incredibly vital, like your back? Notice I said *almost*. :lol:

But about your question, OP, the wise old man who owned the stable where I grew up riding used to say, "If you haven't fallen, you haven't ridden enough." ;)

SprinklerBandit
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:13 PM
I've been bucked off a few times. It depends on the horse; the ones with big, bouncy movement usually seem to have big, bouncy bucks that are fun to ride and easy to sit.

SarahandSam
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:16 PM
I've been bucked off a horse that barely went up in the air, but had that sidewinder action going... and I've sat a buck that was huge but straight up and down. So some horses are just better than others when it comes to getting you off. (:

Individualblue07
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:25 PM
haha Oh trust me... I have fallen NUMEROUS times! haha This was just the first time I fell off at a buck. Im going to take pictures of him when he gets lunged tomorrow so you guys can see his adorably crazy freshness!

Oh and I ride at least 5 times a week. I am just finally at a barn where I get to ride real horses... not those push button riding school types. Although I did fall of three times when three dif horse I was on reared... the first one I was fixing my stirrup and the idiot next to my horse let her horse bite my horse on the face... and he went vertical and i went down... lol next was when my jumper freaked out because a car was shiny... lmao and the last was when a mare freaked out because birds quacked and flew out of bushes... hahaha

but back to the bucking...

The best part about it all though... He was being an idiot the whole time and it never phased me! I lost my stirrup and he decided to do his little rodeo bucking like a baby... lol didnt even flinch. I was so proud and then my trainer said to me. "Ok Bridge, I think thats good for him"... and THE SECOND she said that is when he threw the bucks.... It didnt help that I thought he was going to stop so I kinda got lazy and too relaxed... lol

Good news is I can kinda sit on my butt again today! lmao! Landed really really hard right on my tail bone. lol

Flypony
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:31 PM
I have not been bucked off very often, save for last year when my new pony horse for the track bucked. He had 2 days off and before I got my leg over him he blew. I made it about 8 jumps before I landed into a stall wall, breaking 4 vertabrae. Anyway I learned something about really cinchy that day:)He is turning into a very nice horse now.

laves81
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:30 AM
Some of it's the luck of the draw. Some of it is who you ride- some horses throw harder and higher bucks then others.

I find that narrower tb types are easier to stay on then big bodied horses, because I can get my legs around the narrow ones a lot easier and "ride through it" My current horse has bucked me off just once- his bucks are nasty though infrequent.

Across Sicily
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:56 AM
I somehow made it 12 years before getting bucked off, and when I did, it was crrrrazy. :D

It's bound to happen sooner or later, especially if you ride green/loonybins horses at any point.

3 is the limit
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:28 AM
How sad is it when you get bucked off standing still?

I didn't realize my horse was sleeping (with me on him) and I scared the snot out of him. He threw this huge buck and when I realized what was happening, it seemed to be in slow motion, I put my arm out to break my fall. Dumb thinking...the only thing I broke was my arm. :eek:

Small Change
Aug. 6, 2009, 09:04 AM
I have come off more round little bucking QH's than big athletic buckers. I think it's because that QH head and neck disappear between their round little shoulders, and I'm left sitting on a round, wiggling, barrel. I feel like a Thelwell character (http://www.thelwell.org.uk/images/ponies/images/Ponies4.jpg) on top of some of those horses! They don't buck big or hard, but I pop right off. On the other hand, I've sat some big bucks on sport horses no problem.

I'm sure I'll get dumped when I ride today because I posted this...

Janet
Aug. 6, 2009, 09:51 AM
I've lost count of the number of times i have been bucked off.

They key factor, for me, is the horse's reaction.

The "bad" ones think it is a game, and try it again to see if you will come off again.

The "good" ones look surprised, and consider it a mistake, and try NOT to do the thing that made you come off.

Luckily, all of mine have been "good" ones, though one of my sister's was a "bad" one.

Chall
Aug. 6, 2009, 10:13 AM
Does having a shark fin wither make a difference? I've been bucked off every lesson at one point in my riding. TB with a shark fin wither. A mutton shouldered arab couldn't buck to save his life, he can't roll over when he's in a mud hole either. He rolls on one side gets up, then rolls on the other side. I thought there is a connection there between ability to roll over completely and the ability to buck. But I haven't observed enough other horses to see if that theory holds up.

ponyxjd
Aug. 6, 2009, 10:52 AM
My last horse was a bucker. When I first got her I was a little unsure about jumping and whenever I would get too forward directly after a jump she would throw a big buck. I came off a few times, and after that I learned to stay back. What a great teacher.

She would also throw random bucks, BIG bucks. One time we were quietly hacking out in the field with another horse, and out of the blue dumped me. She then stopped, looked down at me, and gave me this quizzical look like "what happened?". One time it was actually hilarious because I let my cousin use her in camp one week, and I made it clear that my COUSIN was the only one who could ride her, (I wasn't thrilled about it as it was) and in the middle of the week the campers played some bizzare game where they galloped from one end of the arena to the other. My cousin was too much of a beginner to play, so another girl hopped on my mare. I wasn't there, but apparently when they started cantering, the girl was vicously bucked off. When I arrived at the barn later that day, all I could say was "I told you only my cousin was allowed to ride her..." I think my mare knew that. Can't say I was mad at her. :lol:

caradino
Aug. 6, 2009, 11:07 AM
i can't even begin to tell you the number of times i've been bucked off! it just seems to happen when i've been riding horses that DON'T buck, so i don't get to practice riding it, and then getting on a bucker it just catches me by surprise.

they always manage to pop me off when i've been thrown off-balance by one buck, and then they throw another before i've had a chance to re-seat myself. hate that!

ReSomething
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:16 PM
It is very nice at my age to ride horses that just don't have an interest in bucking, as I am sure I would go *splat*. As a teen my mare had rider removal perfected. Turn downhill, yank head down, bounce hard on the forehand, mission accomplished, graze.

I spent a lot of money getting over the fear of cantering downhill.

zahena
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:18 PM
I always say I can ride a rear all day long, but a buck....not so much.

chawley
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:26 PM
Sorry you got bucked off! It doesn't feel very good! :) I have been bucked off many times, but it's always the same horses that get you. I've had other horses for years that never even attempted to buck. My current horse (TB) has never bucked more than a little hop, even when he was a baby.

Now that I think about it, very few of the TBs I have broke or owned bucked. I think only a couple of them were regular buckers.

danceronice
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:32 PM
BUCKED? You know, I dont' think so. I've been dumped by a swerve or a spook, but at risk of jinxing myself my own horse wasn't a bucker and the few times he threw in a few feel-goods or a bee sting I stayed with him. My friend's horse was developing a 'sit and spin' half-rear thing she tried once with me (I bopped her between the ears when she started to go up and surprised her)...friend's other horse scraped me off on the shed once....I've fallen when my horse tripped, spooked mid-jump, when a pony bolted on me, when a horse bolted then swerved when he came to the arena fence....bucking, no, but my butt definitely hit the dirt more times than I can recall at this point.

To chawley's point--most horses I rode were TBs or ponies, and the TBs did seem to prefer the run and swerve to the bucking fit.

lcw579
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:33 PM
I always say I can ride a rear all day long, but a buck....not so much.

Me too. Sometimes I'm okay and then there's always the one where the front end disappears and the rest of the body twists and the next thing you know - here comes the ground!

Foxtrot's
Aug. 6, 2009, 07:41 PM
Maybe, but a rear is a much nastier trait than a "whooppee" buck.

Individualblue07
Aug. 6, 2009, 07:43 PM
haha!

Thanks for sharing your stories! It definitely made me feel better knowing that Im not alone. I absolutely adore the beastie that bucked me off and if he wasnt already sold... I would have bought him. Hes your typical imported young (not even... just at heart... lol) jumper. Very very powerful and strong. I think my problem is the very second that I chose to stop paying attention and relax is when he decided to be playful... lol

Thats just my luck though. haha

billiebob
Aug. 6, 2009, 10:30 PM
I think, out of all the times I've fallen, there's only one where I would consider myself "bucked off." Well, maybe two. One was when I was exercising a friend's horse who wasn't impressed with me riding away from his lady friend. Another was at a show with 50-60 mph wind gusts--you know the downward phase of the canter stride? I just kept rotating and did a full somersault.

chukkerchild
Aug. 7, 2009, 12:44 PM
My quiet hunter gelding has bucked me off eight times at last count... he's got the whole twist and sideways thing going on, not to mention the shock factor. It's nearly always after gymnastics when he hasn't jumped for a while... or when he spooks at something on a cool day, it can't just be a shy, it has to be a "leap-sideways-hump-back-buck-buck-spin"