PDA

View Full Version : Saddle- Lower budget

EquineRider
Aug. 5, 2009, 05:14 PM
I know it's a little silly to have so many saddle threads going on, but I'm in the search for a new saddle. I have an extremely lower budget than many other people looking for saddles on here and everyone so far has helped them pleasantly and with awesome information. Anyways, my budget is less than $300. I've been searching Ebay and I really liked the used Crosby's. My horse needs a wide tree and I'm a size 16.5-17 in seat size. I don't mind riding without knee rolls or lots of padding and cushion. It's pretty easy to please me. If anyone else knows any higher-quality-yet-still-in-my-price-range saddles, please let me know!

jn4jenny
Aug. 5, 2009, 05:35 PM
Trying to find a wide treed saddle for less than $500 is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. You can do it, but you need to shop VERY carefully.

There are a few quality brands in your price range, especially Crosby and Stubben. The problem is that those saddles generally hail from an era when "wide tree" meant "ever so slightly wider than medium", more like what we'd call medium wide today. So if your horse truly needs a wide--and it would be better to err on the side of caution and get him a true wide, then pad it up if necessary--the average Crosby or Stubben ain't gonna cut it.

For $300, I think your best bet is to lay hands on a used synthetic saddle with an adjustable gullet system. The Wintec 500 all purpose saddle is easily found in that price range, and the Wintec Close Contact (which is one of the best cheapie saddles on the market IMO since it's a synthetic duplicate of the $1800 Bates Caprilli Close Contact) can be had for around $300-$350 shipped.

Dispatcher
Aug. 5, 2009, 05:47 PM
to me, the saddles that cost thousands (upwards of $3,000) of dollars are merely status symbols. Some of these saddles can't even be ridden in anything by breeches. Apparently the leather is that fragile. I'm not talking about custom made saddles that probably can command that kind of price.

An older used saddle is probably of better quality and more useful than a new trendy brand. Seems that buying a saddle nowadays is almost like buying designer clothes--not worth the money.

I'm sure you can find a great, quality, used saddle that will fit your needs. Just stay away from the nouveau brands. Stick with the tried and true. It's not that difficult to fit you and your horse as so many make it out to be.

JWB
Aug. 5, 2009, 08:17 PM
There are some good deals to be had on usedsaddles.com. You might want to check that out.

SprinklerBandit
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:20 PM
It can be done! I actually found my saddle locally, used, and for about $200. It's older, but it's in good condition and I love it. It's a BT Crump "Prix de Saute". I'd never heard of it, but it's a really nice saddle, especially for the money. Do try craigslist and local classifieds--sometimes you can find what you want without shipping.

LetsRide
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:28 PM
Try to find a used HDR or Dover Circuit in a wide tree. They are decent saddles. They are also going to be a lot kinder on your horse's back than an ancient rock hard narrow gulleted saddle.

joiedevie99
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:32 PM
The best values in older saddles are Crosby and Collegiate plain flap saddles- however, neither came in a true wide tree back them- and the gullets were terribly narrow. If thats the shape of your horse- great- but they weren't always wool flocked, so the saddle fitter can't fix them for you. I'd recommend a Wintec close contact with the changeable gullet, an adjustable gullet Thorowgood (really well balanced and generelly underpriced in this country), or a used Dover, HDR, or other modern saddle with a true wide tree if thats what you need.

halla
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:42 PM
It's been a long long time, but before I bought the Collegiate I have, which is a medium tree, we tried a wide on my pony and it was much too wide. So they might have come in actual wides, if not giant super wides. I'm actually very fond of my Collegiate and kept it even though I bought a larger saddle more appropriate for what I do now.

I also found a lot of the other Counties for $500 and less with plain flaps, and they definitely came in giant wide.