PDA

View Full Version : OK forget the Pessoa and Bates.. tell me about Prestige and Barnsby saddles!!

City Ponies
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:32 PM
OK Mom gave me a firm budget and it looks like some of the nicer used saddles are within reach :D:D:D

So forget the A/O (still a maybe) and Caprilli (definately out!). But talk to me about Barnsby Milton, Prestige Elite and Red Fox, Beval Devon 2000 and Natural. Unfortunately unless I find a magic box it looks like Anteras, Devacoux and Butet are out of range.

I've never ridden in any of them except the Beval Natural and I liked it, but I've sat in all of the above and really liked the Milton and Elite.

I know quality wise they are all great, but talk to me about riding experiences, balance, pitch, depth of seat. Thanks again!

Any other saddles in that range that you can reccommend is great too!

Ibex
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:34 PM
The older Barnsby's are great... wool flocked, beautifully made. I've heard less stellar reviews of the new ones.

I got a deal and half on one for my youngster... who promptly outgrew it. It's like pulling teeth to find another like it but bigger for sale since I refuse to go $$$ new for a growing baby :mad:

My trainer loves the older Miltons as they're reasonably deep and supportive...

GingerLily
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:36 PM
I love my Prestige. It's so comfortable and I was able to get it in a long flap so it fits well. Others at my barn who have ridden in it love it too. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

forestergirl99
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:37 PM
All of those brands are really good! What is your budget? Also what size seat and tree do you need? I'm bored so I could look up some good used saddles for you. hahaha.

One thing I suggest is being able to try a saddle before you buy it. VTO saddlery has an awesome trial program. They have lots of good used saddles, and you can ride in them for 5 days to see if you like it. You don't have to wrap your leathers etc. They also will give you a few extra days if you want a longer time. All you have to do is call. They also only charge you $4.99 shipping, and it gets to your house in a few days.

I'm getting a Prestige in on trial tomorrow, so I can tell you about it then. =)

Try going to horsetackreview.com. They have reviews on tons of saddles.
Jumping: http://www.horsetackreview.com/results-reader-reviews/Jumping%20Saddles
Close Contact: http://www.horsetackreview.com/results-reader-reviews/Close%20Contact%20Saddles

Horselove
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:44 PM
The Beval Natural is about $2400. If you are looking to spend in that range, I would suggest you give your local Antares rep a call and see if they have a used saddle you can buy. Their saddles are the best and they have a trade in program. Once you buy a saddle you can trade it in ( at a very good price ). This program is great if you are growing or if you purchase a different horse that requires a different saddle.

forestergirl99
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:45 PM
The older Barnsby's are great... wool flocked, beautifully made. I've heard less stellar reviews of the new ones.

My friend has a newer Barnsby, and she loves it. It's not the best in terms of leather quality, etc, but it's still a nice saddle.

forestergirl99
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:56 PM
I have actually tried this saddle (http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=KC-15678&tid=froogleSALE&CATALOG_CODE=1X814&EID=X1814001&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=49&zmap=KC-15678), and I really like it. VERY nice saddle for the price. The tree wasn't narrow enough for my guy though(he takes a narrow). :no: I believe you can still test ride them. You might have to contact Dover to find out. I really like this saddle though.

joiedevie99
Aug. 5, 2009, 04:07 PM
I have a Prestige Red Fox and I absolutely love it.

dauphine2
Aug. 5, 2009, 05:24 PM
I have actually tried this saddle (http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=KC-15678&tid=froogleSALE&CATALOG_CODE=1X814&EID=X1814001&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=49&zmap=KC-15678), and I really like it. VERY nice saddle for the price. The tree wasn't narrow enough for my guy though(he takes a narrow). :no: I believe you can still test ride them. You might have to contact Dover to find out. I really like this saddle though.

I saw the original BdH for sale a little while ago for only $700 or something - but my mom said no before I could even finish asking. She knows that face. :lol:

They seem like really nice saddles, so I would look into that if I were you. I've also ridden in Equipe Expressions saddles and I really like them. Very balenced, but I have no idea about how they fit the horses. I was just schooling in it for a friend. They run about $2000-$2300.

Do you have links for the Prestige saddles? I can't seem to find the ones that you're talking about.

janedoe726
Aug. 5, 2009, 06:00 PM
I've been very happy with my Ashland, which I've had over 13 years. I think they're awesome for the price- pretty mid-range, but you can find them used pretty cheap (I've gotten 2 off eBay for under $600 in great shape). If you do a search on the forums, you'll see that a lot of people are really happy with theirs. And the customer service at Northrun can't be beat!!!

IsolaBella09
Aug. 5, 2009, 07:51 PM
Love Prestige. Hands down one of the nicest saddles I have sat in. Keeps your position perfect and is very secure in the air over big fences. Great saddle in my opinion.

City Ponies
Aug. 5, 2009, 07:52 PM
All of those brands are really good! What is your budget? Also what size seat and tree do you need? I'm bored so I could look up some good used saddles for you. hahaha.]

I need a 16.5" seat, Med tree - something closer to the Med-wide range (aka a medium stubben type tree won't work), something with a bit of a narrow twist (Like a Pessoa Rodrigo) and shorter flaps, I'm only 5'1" so anything long or forward won't work :) - budget of $1500 but prefer less because I'd like to add matching leathers and bridle into the package deal with mom. ;)

I've found quite a few of the listed above within that range so far but I would like more options.

KateKat
Aug. 5, 2009, 08:20 PM
Ditto on the Ashland. Love that saddle, but haven't had much luck finding one. Although I believe there is a used 16.5 on usedsaddles.com or saddlesource.com right now...

Come Shine
Aug. 5, 2009, 08:54 PM
I have an older 16.5" Barnsby Skelton which is just in the process of having a broken tree fixed. It has been a great saddle for me, sounds like I am about your size.

To fill in until the Skelton is fixed, I bought a Barnsby Milton second hand. It is a 16". Aside from the seat being a titch too small, I also really like this saddle for the flap position and balance. I'll echo what Ibex said though. The older one (despite the tree issue) seems to be a much sturdier saddle.

forestergirl99
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:21 PM
Here are some saddles that might be what you are looking for. Some are more expensive though. Just click on the name to see pictures. :)

Hope you find something interesting!! (http://www.usedsaddles.com/search.htm?cat=vmtg3ss9)

HunterObsession
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:44 PM
I had a Barnsby Milton and I HATED it. It would not break it, was so uncomfortable, the leather quality was gross. I know people who have Milton's and love them though, so it is a matter of personal preference. I have a Beval Natural and love it. It has fit every horse I have put it on, is super comfy, and perfect for me. I love it and if you have any questions about it please ask! I think the most important thing is to ride in many different types of saddles and pick the one you like the best.

Against all Odds
Aug. 5, 2009, 10:01 PM
I also have a prestige and love it, they're great saddles!

myvanya
Aug. 6, 2009, 09:13 AM
I just got a Prestige Eventing. I got a 17 even though I normally ride in a 16.5 just because its what I could get used (thus could afford) I LOVE IT!! :D It is the nicest saddle I have ever ridden in and I love how comfortable and secure it is, yet I don't feel trapped in it. I don't know what your budget is, but if you look around enough it seems you can find them used in the $1500 range and if you look carefully you can often find them with very few rides on them (its how I got mine...its practically brand new). I should mention though the model is labeled eventing it is not just for eventers....I got it because it fits my long femur without having to go into a long flap, but I have also heard a lot of shorter people like them too.

tarynls
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:39 PM
I have a Beval Devon 2000 that I bought nine years ago. This saddle puts me in a great position and most importantly, fits my leg - I am 5'3" but have freakishly long femurs (I think they measure something like 19.5").

The saddle also fits my horse very well as well as other horses I've ridden.

mvp
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:24 PM
Not a fan of Prestige saddles for their acceptance of the covered saddle trend. I think it's part of a "planned obsolescence" marketing strategy that sets up the constant need to new equipment.

Barnsby saddles and Frank Baines saddles are known for providing decent quality leather and fit (for both horse and rider) for the money. They are of the more "honest" and old-fashioned build, where seats are made from better-lasting English calf and flaps are printed, single-ply leather. I think there is prettier and softer leather out there, but these saddles are a good bet.

Since the OP is built like me-- shorty looking for a 16.5, the bigger question might be about what kind of balance she wants in a saddle. The trend toward very forward flaps has made my saddle search a PITA. Though my thigh is proportionate to my body, I usually have a hard time finding the pocket with my knee. That means I'm not gaining the benefit from knee rolls that the tallies get from their saddles. Add a lazy, wideload of a horse to the equation and I'm loath to jack up stirrups just to find the pocket.

So the other or bigger question might be: What shape saddle to you want? Perhaps other shorties can help.

Sebastian
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:02 PM
I've had TWO Barnsby Miltons and LOVED both. AND, they were of the newer variety. The leather is very nice and the balance is good.

I sold my previous (reg tree saddle) to my roommate (cuz the big girl needed a wide tree), and found the "new" wide tree on ebay for a very good price. It was barely used. My trainer even loves it.

Seb :)

PinkPonies
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:21 PM
I really think you need to find a saddle dealer or fitter or someone to help you try these saddles and fit you and your horse. I don't think anyone on here can really help you that much. Personally, I love Prestige saddles and hate every Barnsby I've sat it - but it's just my personal preference and body type. My friend would probably tell you she hates Prestige and loves Barnsby.

We have a Devoucoux dealer here in CO who has a nice inventory and access to tons of used and new high end saddles all in your price range - he's helped tons of riders in my area find good saddles and they can test ride everything. I also know of a saddle fitter around here that will bring out a truck full of saddles and help find something that fits riders and horses. If I were you, I'd try looking for someone like that...

xabbracadabra
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:25 PM
I loved my Devon 2000 for regular riding. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was a little bit hard so by the end of a 3 hour hunter pace my butt would be sore. Unfortutnatly, I had to sell it because it no longer fit the horse I ride.

coco21
Aug. 6, 2009, 04:32 PM
I have a Barnsby Whitaker saddle that I bought about 10 years ago. It has been a great saddle. Comfortable, secure and well-wearing. I do recommend them.

The only things I don't like about my specific model is it is alittle too forward for my flat work... I'm old school and like to lengthen my stirrups to do flat work and my knees end up off of the knee rolls when I do that. Also the girth strap leather has separated into two pieces. Not a major flaw considering it's age and wear.

If I could afford to replace it I'd really like a Tad Coffin but that's in a different league altogether.