PDA

View Full Version : Pony Critique? [VIDEO]

*JumpIt*
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:16 PM
NA

beesknees
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:36 PM
aww, he's a cutie! You two are a nice pair! Just acouple things I noticed (but it looks as though you are working on them already, haha!), one lead change was a little late (second round, around 30-35 seconds), you had a couple of little chip-ins at the beginning of a few lines, and just try to work on a nice steady rhythm at the canter :)

Maybe someone else has more to add

rabicon
Aug. 5, 2009, 04:19 PM
It may be the video but he looks pretty short strided and choppy. You might have a really hard time making the lines. He is very cute though.

*JumpIt*
Aug. 5, 2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks, yes a lead changes are bit off sometimes, we try to land on the correct lead most of the time but we are working on it.

Both the chipping in and the choppiness stem from his want to race around the course and me being indecisive. He doesn't like to be bottled up, ha.

zahena
Aug. 5, 2009, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I think you've got a good hold on his mouth and its making him invert a little. I'd like to see my pony hunters go on a little longer rein and maybe frame up more.

However, he's SUPER cute and has pretty nice knees. He seems to enjoy the jumping and has a pleasant expression at the fence, its everywhere in between that he seems to want to battle you a little.

You're a really nice rider! I would say try some equitation courses too!

CenterStage123
Aug. 5, 2009, 06:16 PM
Try keeping your hands lower, closer to the base of his neck. I know your are trying to keep him slow, but by carrying your hands high, you bring more attention to that. Also he swaps off a stride before the outs. It seems you raise your right hand, so he swaps to tue right. I think if your can get all the leads and decent distances you should do fine at the show!

Justice
Aug. 5, 2009, 06:18 PM
You are a very good little rider. I think he looks a little too "bottled up" for my taste... I'd rather see him come more forward (and make the lines) than use all of his energy going up and down. He is cute over the jumps, but needs to let the canter roll in between instead of bobbing up and down. Can he go in a martingale? If he had one on, I didn't see it. And does he need the breastplate to hold the saddle on for hunters? It's not that big of a deal, I just think he'd go better in a martingale, and I'm not a fan of breastplates in the hunters unless the horses confirmation makes them a necessity.

klmck63
Aug. 5, 2009, 07:29 PM
Very cute pony, you guys look great together. He's a really snappy jumper :)

One thing I think might help with the choppiness would be to half-halt and collect in the beginning of the line and then once you can be more or less sure that you are going to get the striding you can relax a bit and move up to in on a bit longer rein.

Eg. (In a 6 stride line), strides 1, 2 and 3 collect, strides 4 and 5 relax and stride 6 half halt LIGHTLY again and then jump. That way you aren't half halting all the way down the line which I think causes some of the choppiness.

I second getting rid of the breastplate if possible. You don't see them as often as martingales in hunters.

*JumpIt*
Aug. 5, 2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks I really appreciate all of the comments/advice, he really is a fabulous pony. We will look into borrowing a martingale and improving our "flowing" :D .

Is there anything I can imporve in my position besides my hands? Sometimes I think I kind of "tuck" my pelvis under me both on the flat and just after the arc of the fence. I will be doing one equitation class (flat, I am to chicken to jump over 2'9") so any help on succeeding in that class would be fabulous. :)

*JumpIt*
Aug. 8, 2009, 10:02 PM
for anyone curious we got Champion in the Childrens Hunter Division and 1st in the Medal Class. I am so proud of my pony! :D

http://www.new.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2399823&l=6c34c525fa&id=510596242