PDA

View Full Version : Mark Wonderly

TRNasty
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:04 AM
What can you folks tell me about the above. He will be conducting a clinic in my area in a few weeks and just wanted some feedback, information, etc on him. I did a search and found his website, but anything you all can share would be helpful.

PM me if you like and thanks in advance.

Equinoxfox
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:22 AM
I have heard many things about him. he runs some shows here in NOVA and they are good. He also does clinics and I understand they are nice as well .
I know him from many years ago and was a very nice , knowledgable guy.
Should be a nice and informative clinic. Keep us posted.

Zoey101
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:53 AM
My barn hosted a Mark Wonderly Clinic in january and it was great. Friday night, we hosted a potluck and did a reading of the rules, and Mark answered a ton of questions. He did a one day session that morning and then a two day session saturday and sunday. He keeps the groups small, he is really patient and we all learned alot. He did a mix of gymnastics, course work and really focused on equitation. His prices are very reasonable. He also checks in on us every now and then, which i think is really nice. I highly reccomend him!

Everythingbutwings
Aug. 5, 2009, 12:08 PM
You have a P/T

Trixie
Aug. 5, 2009, 12:17 PM
I've found his shows to be extraordinarily disorganized.

You have another PT.

see u at x
Aug. 5, 2009, 12:34 PM
I've found his shows to be extraordinarily disorganized.

FWIW, I've heard the same thing. I've also been told that he's an OK instructor but that he's not someone to go out of the way for to train with. *shrug*

If you do end up going, however, I'd love to hear a follow-up about your experience.

equinelaw
Aug. 5, 2009, 04:50 PM
I rode with him many years ago and found him to be very good. In fact, I had a sales video of a horse I needed to sell with me before and after a few lessons with him and the buyers thought it was a different rider. A much better, but different, rider.:D They said it really showed the horse's range to put up with such a bad rider and still be so good for a much better rider.

I also went in on a few horses with him and he was 100% trust worthy and honest and took very good care of the horses. For those who decry the loss of horsemanship in the modern horse world, you can learn a lot from someone who remembers what it means.

I have no idea how he runs shows, but I am not sure that would be relevant to how he teaches.

mroades
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:05 PM
we did one clinic with him and really did not feel the need to do another

TRNasty
Aug. 25, 2009, 10:35 AM
I didn't think mother nature was going to cooperate Friday evening but the rain showers eventually passed through. A good thing as the farm that hosted the clinic does not have an indoor.

Mark is a patient, positive, & understanding person. The ring at this farm sits right beside a major commuter route and he had to use a mega phone to talk to us. At times it was still a challenge to hear him.

I have an OTTB that I'd like to start showing in the adult ammie divisions in the coming months. I received some tid bits, comments, instruction that will help with this stage of our training. We did some gymnastics/grid work along with flat work for our warm up. At the conclusion of the 1 hour 1/2 session(he also ran over) he gave me more detailed things to work on and answered other questions my instructor/I had.

I'd probably ride with him again if he is in the area. The price was very affordable, the location was close to home, and it was what my guy/I needed at this stage of our training.

mroades
Aug. 25, 2009, 01:50 PM
Glad you had a better time than we did! I love it when clinics go well!