PDA

View Full Version : Back on HLCS

ShotenStar
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:59 PM
Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I am back on Her Large Chestnut Self (HLCS), nine months after the accident.

Yes, it was a leadline lesson, after my instructor had ridden her for about 20 minutes .... I'm not stupid.

Your observation for the day: even though HLCS is 17 hands and 1,370 pounds, she actually easier for me to sit on than is my little QH mare. The little QH mare has a broad, flat back that really stresses my hip and upper thigh (Reminder - I broken the upper femur and trochanter). Carleigh is actually narrower across her withers / upper body and my leg falls into a nice position with very little stress.

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee252/ShotenStar/Carleigh/?action=view&current=BackonCarleigh4Aug09.jpg

*star*

MEP
Aug. 4, 2009, 07:18 PM
Well, hearty congratulations! It's hard getting back on after a bad accident (speaking from experience of course) ;)

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 4, 2009, 08:10 PM
What was the accident? Did you come off Herself?

ShotenStar
Aug. 4, 2009, 08:36 PM
Back on 9 Nov, HLCS was spooked by a sleeping deer that popped up in the pasture were we were doing a cool down walk. She did a 180 ... I did a 160. It's a long way down from 17 hands.

*star*

Ambrey
Aug. 4, 2009, 09:15 PM
It was your leg, right?

Congrats on getting back on :) That first ride after the fall is interesting, isn't it?

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 4, 2009, 09:43 PM
Kudos for getting back on! It really takes guts to keep riding. My luck ran out four years ago when I dislocated my shoulder and had a concussion; luckily, I have no memory of it so it doesn't haunt me.

How are you doing mentally? Gorgeous horse, BTW.

ShotenStar
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:10 PM
Mentally I'm fine. Riding her feels so right and so comfortable.

Of course, that is at the walk in the safety of the ring. Ask me again when we try the trot and canter. And I'm thinking it will be awhile before I try that pasture again .... :winkgrin:

*star*

Pony Fixer
Aug. 5, 2009, 12:32 AM
Star, I know exactly what you mean. She's a beauty!!!

I just moved from a 14 yo, 4th level sometimes spook to a 5 yo, Tr level old soul. The former was 16.1, the latter is 15.3. Those 2-3 inches make a big difference!

Good luck!

JRG
Aug. 5, 2009, 06:40 AM
Yay!!!

Good to here we didn't loose one to another sport.

Remember strength in numbers, we will keep you positive.

Good for you.