PDA

View Full Version : cosequin asu? Really that great?

kiwifruit
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:22 PM
Everyone that I talk to raves about cosequin asu. I personally would rather spend my money on something that is prove effective like Adequan but the few people that I spoke to about this swear it really works. I guess it depends on the horse on how effective it is but those who use it, for what reasons and when did you start seeing results?

busterwells
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:33 PM
I started using cosequin on my older 24 year old Appy mare 4 years ago for her arthritis issues. She was so stiff when walking out of her stall to be turned out in the morning and also with riding. I noticed a huge difference within a month of the use. She moves so much more freely now and can go on hour long trail rides with the kids with no stiffness or pain. (I do give her some bute also.) Others at the stables I am at have also noticed the change over time. I ran out one time for 2 weeks and boy did the stiffness in her joints come right back. I had also moved to another stable for 6 months and could notice that they were not giving her Cosequin by the way she moved, and they admitted to me that they were having other people feed her and they forgot to give her the meds. I really swear by this medication and I was really leary at first on whether it would work. Hope this helps.

crthunder
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:41 PM
I definitely swear by Cosequin ASU. I tried a less expensive (supposedly proven, blah, blah, blah) and my horse was definitely slipping more behind, less supple, etc. Back to Cosequin ASU, and we're much better! My horse's vet says Cosequin ASU is the way to go (it is the same as Dasaquin for dogs I believe). DEFINITELY worth the money!

Here's one of the cheapest places to find it: http://store.allvet.org/coasu13.html

Becky & the boys

kiwifruit
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:49 PM
Okay...so far, so good. Two votes for cosequin asu. I guess I will just have to spend the money and try it. What else am I going to do with the cash? My horsie just came off of the 7 vial loading dose of Adequan this week and I want to keep moving forward with his soundness. Off to the tack shop tomorrow! I guess doing the loading dose is a requirement in order to give the product a chance, right?

Mimi La Rue
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:55 PM
My horse has been on Cosequin ASU for about 2 weeks now. To be honest, I haven't noticed a difference (yet). He was taking SmartFlex Repair before. He also doesn't like to eat it, so I have to sweeten up his food a lot so he doesn't waste any of that expensive powder. Hopefully as more time passes I will see some results. I have heard many good things about this joint supplement.

gubbyz
Aug. 4, 2009, 07:22 PM
It is the only one that has actually been tested to work and has backup proof. besides that one, Platinum Performance is developed by vets at Alamo Pintado, one of the larger vet clinics in Calif. So they pretty much stake their reputation on it.

work4hay
Aug. 4, 2009, 07:44 PM
My horse has been on Cosequin ASU for about 2 weeks now. To be honest, I haven't noticed a difference (yet). He was taking SmartFlex Repair before. He also doesn't like to eat it, so I have to sweeten up his food a lot so he doesn't waste any of that expensive powder. Hopefully as more time passes I will see some results. I have heard many good things about this joint supplement.

I was told to feed avocado to my horse, and I thought that was kind of strange until I saw a short article in Equus, I think, and then the full page ad about Cosequin ASU. http://equisearch.com/horses_care/health/lameness/avocado_102708/

Well, avocado is expensive too. I need to find a tree. Also too much sugar is going to cause inflammation in the body based on many links on the internet, which may not be the most reliable source, but I haven't been able to google an article from any widely acknowledge medical or scientific journals. Those sites that have good SEO (search engine optimization) always show up on top to try to sell us something. :mad:

mtk9122
Aug. 4, 2009, 08:01 PM
Cosequin ASU was recommended to me by a sportsmedicine vet from a respected practice in VA. We have used it for the past year on all three horses: the most marked difference has been in the 20 yr young two star horse who thinks he's a colt again and is getting ready to go back into light competition, my 15 yr old former jumper/dressage horse is doing very well on it and the 7 yr old with various minor issues has stayed sound and jumping. It's worth the extra $$ and I have also been using a bit of it on our aging Chesapeake Bay Retriever.

BeastieSlave
Aug. 4, 2009, 08:12 PM
I think it works pretty well and gladly pay the extra money :)

JB
Aug. 4, 2009, 08:17 PM
Well, the deal with the ASU compound is that it has shown to reduce the physical evidence of arthritis, but *not* the clinical signs, ie the pain with it.

Take that for what it's worth.

A this point, *I* think it's more worthwhile to use regular Cosequin (best deals by far on Ebay!) and add something on top of that. Or, use some HA product that has a high HA:cost ratio, such as Flex Force.

EventerOP
Aug. 4, 2009, 08:22 PM
I started my 16 year old TB mare on it about 4 months ago and was able to see a huge improvement. I have tried other, cheaper joint supplements and havnt seen much improvement at all in her but with the cos ASU I was able to tell a huge difference. She seems so much more comfortable in all gates and she has always had some sort of lameness, every time i turn around she steps on rocks and is sore or lame. In the past 4 months she has looked better then ever!

We also have a 4th level dressage horse that is 21, i think and he has been on it for the past 6 months or so and he looks great every time i see him go in the ring.

I think that you should try it, at least give it a few months and see if you can tell any improvement. Anyone I have talked to it seems to work magic!

Good luck!

BeastieSlave
Aug. 5, 2009, 12:46 AM
I forgot to add that our guy who's on ASU is a super picky eater. He was finishing up ulcer treatment when he started on the stuff and was still happy to eat it - and he's turned his nose up at some tasty stuff so it can't taste that bad!

JWB
Aug. 5, 2009, 07:35 AM
My vet said it's the only proven bioavailable joint supplement out there. Personally I'd rather pay a bit more for something that is useful than get something cheap that doesn't do anything.

RiverBendPol
Aug. 5, 2009, 08:26 AM
I put my 5 year old OTTB on ASU following a stifle surgery, on the strong rec of my dreamy vet at New England Equine. I think the stuff is quite great. The horse made a brilliant recovery from the surgery and I dare not take him off it!

busterwells
Aug. 5, 2009, 01:37 PM
Well, the deal with the ASU compound is that it has shown to reduce the physical evidence of arthritis, but *not* the clinical signs, ie the pain with it.

Take that for what it's worth.

A this point, *I* think it's more worthwhile to use regular Cosequin (best deals by far on Ebay!) and add something on top of that. Or, use some HA product that has a high HA:cost ratio, such as Flex Force.

I agree with this statement on the pain issue that is why I stated above that I also have my mare on a low dose of bute. I guess it depends on the reason in which you are using this supplement which was not listed.

crthunder
Aug. 6, 2009, 11:50 AM
My vet said that feeding the HA supplements is a waste as the only way it is proven useful is actual injections. I found the Cosequin ASU was not too terrible price wise once you get past the loading dose.

Becky

Trees4U
Aug. 7, 2009, 09:43 AM
Is the ASU really avacado and soybean added?

Mimi La Rue
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:00 PM
Just wanted to give an update. My horse has been on Cosequin ASU for about a month now and I do believe I am starting to notice an improvement. The last week or so he has been moving beautifully. His gaits have also been much smoother to ride as well and he is going much more forward. He is a 15 year old Oldenburg but has been acting as spunky as a 3 year old.

paintlady
Aug. 14, 2009, 02:12 PM
My vet recommended putting my mare on Cosequin ASU this past March following hock injections. I can't say whether it's the Cosequin, hock injections or a combination of both, but my mare's movement has greatly improved since then.

I had previously used Legend. That worked too, but it's next to impossible to give my mare shots. My vet usually has vet techs help him to give her vaccinnes. I certainly can't give my mare shots by myself! She goes ballistic when she sees needles.

I'm pretty sure this is why my vet recommended the Cosequin ASU instead of Legend or Adequan. :lol: