PDA

View Full Version : Tornado's at KY horse park??

farmgirl88
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:32 PM
Just heard that wall clouds and small tornados went through the area around the horse park and small tornado actually went through the horse park? glad im not at pony finals this year. hope everyone is doing OK

Hunters Peak
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:54 PM
I was just at the horse park. There were no tornados to my knowledge, but it sure looked like it. The sky was so dark it looked like it was 10:00 at night. We were trapped in the indoor for the better part of an hour. The indoor is under water. Very much like a lake. The seats served as waterfalls as the water was running off of them. It is not good there right now at all.

DLee
Aug. 4, 2009, 04:20 PM
Which indoor? This is such a bummer. :(

Hunters Peak
Aug. 4, 2009, 04:22 PM
I can email pictures if some one wants to post them.

LSM1212
Aug. 4, 2009, 04:24 PM
Yeah.... we've hit another record today. First it was not one single day in the 90's for all of July.

Now we've had over 6 inches of rain in just over an hour. Happened this AM. And then a second round just blew in not too long ago.

Not fun... lots of flooding, streets closed and people stranded. Traffic lights are out, etc.

I'm in Louisville so only an hour away from the KHP.

http://www.wave3.com/

FatPalomino
Aug. 4, 2009, 04:27 PM
I just saw pictures of the indoor from a friend that is there.

WOW!

the indoor is totally under water, the score board flipped over...

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2386171&id=594038455&ref=nf

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2386171&id=594038455&ref=nf#/photo.php?pid=2386027&id=594038455&ref=nf

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=2386171&id=594038455&ref=nf#/photo.php?pid=2386034&id=594038455&ref=nf

DLee
Aug. 4, 2009, 04:30 PM
Holy Cow!!!

roki143
Aug. 4, 2009, 04:31 PM
holy moly

Hunters Peak
Aug. 4, 2009, 04:32 PM
Check these.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=30389270&id=1175017683&ref=mf

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/photo.php?pid=30389271&id=1175017683&ref=mf

2ndyrgal
Aug. 4, 2009, 04:37 PM
Dont have facebook accounts, so we can't see the pictures. You all stay safe down there. We're about 40 minutes north, tons of rain, but our barns and arena are all high up so we should be ok. Still dark as pitch though.

LaurieB
Aug. 4, 2009, 04:57 PM
Can anyone repost those pictures for people without facebook accounts?

MILOUTE55
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:01 PM
our rep just called me and said it's a disaster for the vendor booths, everything under water!

DLee
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:02 PM
Here you go http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f62/dianad1/?action=view&current=5680_112403943455_594038455_2386171.jpg

(reposted a photo, hope she doesn't mind.)

LaurieB
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:03 PM
Here you go http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f62/dianad1/?action=view&current=5680_112403943455_594038455_2386171.jpg

Thanks DLee!

And yowsa. What a huge mess that's going to be.

khp vol
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:10 PM
There's also a thread about this on the off-course forum; here's the thread
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=217607

This is the COVERED arena (i.e. the old one, not the new one, which is the INDOOR arena)

Bearhunter
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:10 PM
And the show is supposed to start tomorrow? Oh, my. :no:

The horse park and rain = no fun.

hellerkm
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:22 PM
Ok this horrible, but I was so disappointed that I would not be getting to Pony Finals this year, but with all the rain I am ALMOST glad I am home! I feel to bad for the kids I hope everyone can make the best of it and still enjoy themselves!!

Pony+ an inch
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:04 PM
seeing as I live in Lexington, the rumors about tornadoes would be FALSE. Extremely false.

Now, high winds, fast moving storms clouds and an abundance of thunder and lighting? True. Very true, as I was trapped in Whole Foods for almost two hours before I cold venture home (what a terrible place to be trapped in--my favorite grocery store which offers up the best free samples ever ha). We also have a lot of scattered power outages.

Louisville is having a lot of issues with flash floods, the streams and rivers around Lex (and I'd presume Louisville, too) are all raising faster than we'd like, but you know, for the most part rain is better than drought... Though I must say the flooding over in the indoor ring at the horse park is a bit freaky--however it's also sitting in a bit of a dip, so not totally surprising.

fleur de duc
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:31 PM
oh my!!!!! I just hope everyone remains safe there throughout the week!

stay dry! keep your life boats close by! and please dont forget the swimmies for all the small ponies :winkgrin:
my best thoughts to all at finals and in the area for that matter!

Indy
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:49 PM
oh my!!!!! I just hope everyone remains safe there throughout the week!

stay dry! keep your life boats close by! and please dont forget the swimmies for all the small ponies :winkgrin:
my best thoughts to all at finals and in the area for that matter!

No kidding! Those poor smalls will need snorkels too if it keeps up like this.

superpony123
Aug. 4, 2009, 07:58 PM
There's also a thread about this on the off-course forum; here's the thread
http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=217607

This is the COVERED arena (i.e. the old one, not the new one, which is the INDOOR arena)

they CANCELLED pony finals? wow! i mean, i guess there isn't really any other choice if you think about it, but are they going to post pone, i wonder? but what can they even do? PF takes so much planning, it'd be so hard, i imagine, even impossible, to just call up an equally big venue that would be reasonably close (VA horse center? i dont know what else) and say HEY we need to have PF there, right now! wows.

jingles to everyone down south :[

ETA: i just asked someone and their trainer says the show is still on. I also checked on USEF and it says classes are moved later due to other reasons? So nvm, I guess the show's on, even though I read on that link that it's cancelled..

findeight
Aug. 4, 2009, 08:08 PM
The newly surfaced outside rings are FINE. Most of the barns are FINE-a few swamp like.

It's a mess but it has stopped raining and the ring crews will be at it all night. So far no schedual changes as the Walnut ring where the classes are held is high, all weather surfaced with latest techo stuff and relatively dry. Expect a few issues with ticketed warm ups in Claibourne and Stoneleigh but it should be dry in about 16/18 hours or so, and that's tomorrow afternoon. No rain forecast after a few possible stray showers
before midnite.

PF has NOT been cancelled. It'll be fine. Relax...but bring some Wellies if you are there tomorrow AM. Not the first time they have dealt with a deluge. The SALE PREVIEW WAS CANCELLED. Nothing else.

mroades
Aug. 4, 2009, 08:55 PM
Regular smalls have been moved to thursday as they would not get done with the amount of mediums and larges

giddybiddy
Aug. 4, 2009, 09:07 PM
Aww...I feel bad for all the PF people! Good luck in the nasty weather...I absolutely ABHOR showing in the rain, but at Pony Finals nonetheless! I hope that people find the good in the situation and still have a blast.

findeight
Aug. 4, 2009, 09:29 PM
Aww...I feel bad for all the PF people! Good luck in the nasty weather...I absolutely ABHOR showing in the rain, but at Pony Finals nonetheless! I hope that people find the good in the situation and still have a blast.

Nobody will be showing in the rain, none forecast. Just the muddy leftovers. Some schedual jiggling but all will be well.

BTW, not the first time the covered arena has been submerged and we do get this kind of thing from time to time, usually in May but it's happened in September too.

Louisville took the brunt and Churchhill Downs got hammered. According to the news, some racetrack evacuees may be relocated to the KHP for a feww days but I'd imagine many training centers and farms in the 90 miles between Louisville and Lexington can take alot of them many are theirs anyway.

And they got 14 inches in 12 hours, unforecast, between Indy and Cincy so good luck to all around Batesville and Greenville Indiana.

Think we got 4 to 6 around Cincy with the city itself way below that, some roads under in the usual places. Lexington around the same, no record breaker.

giddybiddy
Aug. 4, 2009, 09:45 PM
Nobody will be showing in the rain, none forecast. Just the muddy leftovers. Some schedual jiggling but all will be well.

BTW, not the first time the covered arena has been submerged and we do get this kind of thing from time to time, usually in May but it's happened in September too.

Louisville took the brunt and Churchhill Downs got hammered. According to the news, some racetrack evacuees may be relocated to the KHP for a feww days but I'd imagine many training centers and farms in the 90 miles between Louisville and Lexington can take alot of them many are theirs anyway.

And they got 14 inches in 12 hours, unforecast, between Indy and Cincy so good luck to all around Batesville and Greenville Indiana.

Think we got 4 to 6 around Cincy with the city itself way below that, some roads under in the usual places. Lexington around the same, no record breaker.

Well, that's great to know that nobody will be showing in the rain! I have a feelings buckets with sponges and lots and lots of rags will be seen everywhere!

And that's a shame about the indoor...but I see what you mean. I mean...it's been around a while, right? So it can't be the first time it's flooded. No doubt they'll deal with it wonderfully.

Sounds crazy either way!

Lives2Jump
Aug. 4, 2009, 09:54 PM
My understanding is they are rescheduling because of the amount of entries...
99 Smalls
113 Mediums
106 Larges

findeight
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:06 PM
That's just Regulars, anybody know how many Greens in the various heights? How about Pony Medal?

Offhand, looking like entries are not off that much. If at all.

bluetiger
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:17 PM
Wow, it was pretty crazy for a while today. I was actually concerned for a brief moment that there was a tornado about to rip through! Turned out ok and pony finals is not cancelled. Walnut, Stonelea and the makeup ring with new cool footing are fine. The other rings are slightly a mess but I'm sure they will figure a way to run the ticketed warmup. Not everyone got to do flatwork in the Walnut today for obvious reasons so it is open tomorrow from 6:45-8 and show is scheduled to start on time with 49 Small Greens.

Kinsella
Aug. 5, 2009, 06:52 AM
There are 47 Small Greens, 66 Medium Greens and 74 Large Greens. The show starts today at 8:30 with the Large Greens model/hacking first. The ring is fine, the KHP is fine, and it actually looks like it is going to be a great show. And about the numbers.... They are definitely up from last year. The regular smalls moved to Thursday/Friday because there isn't enough light in the day to make it through 347 trips in the Walnut! (It's a huge ring for those of you that have not been here...)

Boom
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:00 AM
:cool:The group that runs the horse shows at the Horse Park are the BEST!! Forget the rest! After the storms yesterday everything went perfectly today!Hurrah to the OTTO footing!And everyone else!