PDA

View Full Version : Pasadena area barns/trainers?

Gil's Girl
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:46 AM
I'm thinking of going out to Pasadena area for the fall, and am looking for a place I can ride, maybe even work, I've taken the last 3 years off to work full time, and I can't take my horse-less life anymore!

I was a good junior A circuit rider, h/j/eq, had a great trainer (s) where I was able to ride a lot of really high quality sales horses, and would like to find somewhere where I might have that great an opportunity again - not showing so much, but riding a lot of good quality horses and a great trainer that's flexible, as I'm dirt poor:) I'm sloppy and out of shape, but still capable, I think!

Anything in the area anyone can recommend? I always showed/worked in the south of Cali, never the LA area, so I don't know anyone. Anywhere I should start?

Thank you!

Guin
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:48 AM
Flintridge is very nice.

Pitty Pat
Aug. 4, 2009, 11:16 AM
www.middleranch.com

findeight
Aug. 4, 2009, 01:11 PM
Is Mary Gatti still active? She was running a mid level barn with good opportunities for working for years at Rainbow Canyon up San Gabriel Canyon. There is also a big facility at Puente Hills, about 35 minutes south of Pasadena with independent trainers, alot of barns around Griffith Park including the LAEC-also an easy (for LA) drive from you in Pasadena.

Flintridge is wonderful but...back when I was out there it was private requiring membership thru a country club and quite exclusive. If it is more public now, it's still pricey and it may be more difficult to arrange horses to ride or a possible job. Don't know where OP is coming from but she may be in for some sticker shock.

jumper
Aug. 4, 2009, 01:50 PM
http://www.sanpascualstables.net/

Fun Size
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:12 PM
I think that a lot of our barns are kind of "come with a horse or plan on leasing one" kind of places. It almost sounds like you are looking for an assistant trainer position....in which case maybe check out Elvenstar out in Moorpark (a little drive from Pasadena!) because they have a big lesson program and might have more need for someone that can catch ride or exercise horses. Also check on

I absolutely love my barn but it is definitely a solid month to month financial commitment!

Look at craigslist and socalequine.com as well for postings that look interesting to you.

Good luck! :D

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:22 PM
-

Gil's Girl
Aug. 18, 2009, 12:28 PM
Thank you for all the replies, but now a change of plans!

Only going out for 2 wks for now, so is there somewhere I could take a couple of lessons on good quality horses with a nice trainer, where i won't feel too terribly depressed by how long it's been? Anyone accept drop in lessons like that?

Thank you all, I appreciate it, my days are going to be pretty free while I'm there, and I'd love to just ride a bit if possible!

findeight
Aug. 18, 2009, 01:23 PM
Just call some of the public places mentioned, most of them will have something you can take a couple of lessons on...even if they don't have regular school horses.

And it's nice to hear Mousie is still around:D.

TheHorseProblem
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:32 PM
Just come down to San Pascual early in the morning and look for Mousie. She is usually there at 7:00. She teaches in the big front ring.

findeight
Aug. 18, 2009, 10:49 PM
Just come down to San Pascual early in the morning and look for Mousie. She is usually there at 7:00. She teaches in the big front ring.

Hey, OP, do you know who Mousie Williams is?

It's an eye opener and a real opportunity. Fact, that's where I would go. She's had a good reputation for...oh...40 years or so. She can teach you to THINK on a horse.

Bearhunter
Aug. 18, 2009, 11:21 PM
Hey, OP, do you know who Mousie Williams is?

It's an eye opener and a real opportunity. Fact, that's where I would go. She's had a good reputation for...oh...40 years or so. She can teach you to THINK on a horse.

Oh, yeah! She's the best.:yes:

Gil's Girl
Aug. 19, 2009, 10:14 AM
Thanks all, and no, i'm afraid I don't know who she is - heard the name before, that's all!

Do you think she'd do a couple of drop in lessons for someone just visiting w/out a horse? I'll get in touch and find out i guess, thanks very much, sounds like just what i'm looking for.

For the record, I used to ride with Jessie Lang and Bob McDonald - both of whom maintained that i need to think LESS when i ride, it's my downfall!

Cheers!

skallywag
Aug. 19, 2009, 06:49 PM
Gils Girl;

Bearhunter
Aug. 19, 2009, 08:22 PM
Gils Girl;
There is a great jumper trainer that welcomes anyone at any time. He has lesson horses available that are really good.. His lessons are very fun and very informative..
His name is Brian Flanagan, he is located in Woodland Hills, CA which is right at Hwy 101 and Valley Circle Blvd , just west of Burbank/Pasadena.

Do give him a call and tell his friend, Sheila sent you..

His web site:
http://cloverfieldfarm.ning.com/

a great jumper trainer? :confused:

zahena
Aug. 20, 2009, 09:48 AM
Jenni Martin-McAlister is out of LA Equestrian Center. She and her husband are both amazing as are their staff. Steve has a tendency to look at you and know what's going on inside YOUR head and shake it out. Depending on their show schedule would depend on their availabilty but I think Cecely is at home a lot.

zahena
Aug. 20, 2009, 11:48 AM
I took from Jenni years ago when she was a junior. She was so amazing. We lived really close to each other and I was lucky enough to see her with Apple Annie. Simply amazing. And if you saw where we lived no one would ever think an international rider would come from that area.

Steve is a hard trainer. He made me a total emotional mess the first day of his clinic but took the time to talk to me about it afterwards. He's the first trainer who came at me from my brain instead of my horses since my mind was what screwed us up!

I always feel so proud to show off Jenni's YouTubes to my Texas friends and say "I know her!" LOL!!!

Bearhunter
Aug. 20, 2009, 12:06 PM
You are right Skallywag, everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, the OP was looking for HUNTER JUMPER trainers near Pasadena. You recommended someone who does not specialize in that who is 40 minutes away. There are COUNTLESS wonderful h/j trainers (including mine!!) in the near vicinity of Pasadena.

skallywag
Aug. 20, 2009, 12:53 PM
I took from Jenni years ago when she was a junior. She was so amazing. We lived really close to each other and I was lucky enough to see her with Apple Annie. Simply amazing. And if you saw where we lived no one would ever think an international rider would come from that area.

Steve is a hard trainer. He made me a total emotional mess the first day of his clinic but took the time to talk to me about it afterwards. He's the first trainer who came at me from my brain instead of my horses since my mind was what screwed us up!

I always feel so proud to show off Jenni's YouTubes to my Texas friends and say "I know her!" LOL!!!

Jenni and I are from the same hometown area, as you very well may be too... Although she hasn't lived here in many, many years...

I live in Apple Valley, she lived in Hesperia!! What a small world..

zahena
Aug. 20, 2009, 01:02 PM
I was the rider from Barstow!!!! I used to ride Shark. Do you remember Shark at all? She put me on him a few times and I thought I was gonna have a panick attack over some of those jumps. I think I got some of my methods from her because she knew I was scared and she just ignored it because she knew I could handle it. LOL!!!

Who did you use to ride? I had a 3/4 arab (but I don't think I lessoned on him much), an appy and my moms grulla mare. She's pretty easy to remember for her color. She hated jumping and I BEGGED my mom to let me stop jumping her. I know we had to cross paths. Jenni had a very small group back then it seemed. I think people were too intimidated to hang around her. It wasn't like she showed at MRVHA! (which I did)

skallywag
Aug. 20, 2009, 01:36 PM

skallywag
Aug. 20, 2009, 01:40 PM
You are right Skallywag, everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, the OP was looking for HUNTER JUMPER trainers near Pasadena. You recommended someone who does not specialize in that who is 40 minutes away. There are COUNTLESS wonderful h/j trainers in the near vicinity of Pasadena.

I guess to me, 40 minutes (which I think is actually closer to 30) is in the general Pasadena area....as what the OP was looking for..

At anyrate, there are many trainers around who I am sure would be happy to have her come for a lesson.. I was just giving her a suggestion of someone who I know, that is a really good trainer....

zahena
Aug. 20, 2009, 02:52 PM
I didn't know Jenni when she lived in Hesperia, darn it.. I wasn't into horses much then at all.. I had a horse when I was a kid, but wasn't into any training, just riding the trails after school.. I became aware of Jenni only in the last couple of years, when I became friends with Brian Flanagan, who is a jumper trainer. He loves Jenni and is always in awe of her riding and we spend hours at the LA Equestrian Center watching her, when we are there when he schools his students and competes in shows there. I was suprised when one of her people where standing on the side lines at a Grand Prix at the Oaks in San Juan Capistrano, and we started talking to them. One thing led to another and they asked where we were from.. It was then we learned Jenni was from the high desert...

So, I am sorry I didn't know of Shark back then..

what a totally small world! the lady I ride with here (who I didn't know before this) called me on day to say she used Steve as her trainer in Belgium and was bringing him out here and gave her my # because jenni knew i was here! How crazy is that?!

Coreene
Aug. 20, 2009, 05:20 PM
OP, where did you ride with Bob? Watch me carbon date myself, I rode with him at Hillsview Saddle Club. Merry and Beezer were with him at the Fairgrounds.

Gil's Girl
Aug. 21, 2009, 11:04 AM
I'm only in my early twenties, I think that was before my time! :) I rode with Bob out in Wyoming, where my barn was. Miss all of it - the riding, the great trainers, the incredible horses, the mountains, but not the winters!

TheHorseProblem
Sep. 1, 2009, 09:34 PM
GG, I sincerely hope that THIS is not the week you were planning to come ride in the Pasadena area. The fires have made it impossible.