PDA

View Full Version : If you need a new bridle-Bargain

mom23monkeys
Aug. 4, 2009, 08:33 AM
Dover Saddlery has this "British Classic Horse Bridle" in closeout that is a TC. The add doesn't say TC, but it had the same wording as the TC so I asked a rep and sure enough. It's still alot ($199 down from $450), but I was in the market so I'm happy!:D

paint hunter
Aug. 4, 2009, 01:17 PM
Can't find it in my flyer. My issue has a young woman on the front with very blond hair and a turquoise patterned top. Perhaps there is a different edition? Would like to see the ad.

Ah yes, just went to the website. Looks interesting.

Oh, you are very bad mom23monkeys. I just called in my order for the wide noseband model. Hope I like it. Please stop enabling this tackaholic! Have you received yours yet?

Airamennyl
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:42 PM
I wasn't in the market, but just bought a TC saddle, so I couldn't resist. Will you let me know when the martingale goes on sale?:D

paint hunter
Aug. 11, 2009, 11:10 PM
Mine just came tonight. Very lovely bridle! Great value at $199. And yes, it is the Tad Coffin. Can't wait to set it up for use and see how it looks on my guy. Highly recommend so far.

vxf111
Aug. 11, 2009, 11:12 PM
I can't seem to get over my annoyance that the reins are plain flat and not raised (let alone fancy stitched) to match the bridle. What is the opposite of "spared no expense"? I dunno... that just irks me. It irks me less ror $200, but it irked me BIGTIME for $450 when I first saw the bridle in a Dover store.

paint hunter
Aug. 11, 2009, 11:27 PM
I agree, I would not have paid $450 for the bridle. And yes, for that price it should have raised reins. However, I actually tend to prefer the flat reins myself so I am OK with this.

I am still curious how the new Smartpack Nantucket bridle stacks up. This the most expensive one Smartpack has and it is priced at $349. Has anyone actually ordered and received this bridle? Waiting for Lucassb's opinion..........

Rhody Ram
Aug. 11, 2009, 11:49 PM
My mom just bought that bridle (except it is not padded, fancy raised but not padded) and it came with a little bit of powdery coating on it. I told her to take a sponge with Effax combi (only) on it and clean off the powder before oiling. She did so, and the entire area across the stitched section of the noseband bleached WHITE. And it's dry now. It looks like the dye came off on that area only. She is going to call and see if she can get a refund. If not I hope it blends with oil. She isn't going to oil it until she finds out if she can send it back or not.

Just something to keep in mind if you are considering the bridle

WB Mom
Aug. 12, 2009, 06:53 AM
I love my TC saddle and what a bargain! I need another bridle like I need a hole in my head, but who can resist? COTH has so many enablers....
*****sigh****

Airamennyl
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:11 AM
I just got mine, but hadn't looked closely at it yet. BTW, the martingale is on sale for 99.00 in the sale section.

french
Aug. 12, 2009, 09:55 AM
I've been using a cheap full-size bridle (Kincaide) on my young horse. Does anyone know how the full size sizing in this bridle compares to the Kincaide? Also, is it dark brown? It looks beautiful and I'm so glad to have heard about the sale price.

paint hunter
Aug. 12, 2009, 11:17 AM
I loked on the Dover website but it didn't show up in the clearance section. If I go to the On Sale section, there are 62 pages and the site doesn't let me search by name. How did you find the sale martingale?
Stop enabling me!

Rhody Ram
Aug. 12, 2009, 12:59 PM
It's not dark brown, it's fairly light brown/orange

Airamennyl
Aug. 12, 2009, 01:05 PM
Try this http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=KC-09201&tid=shopzSALE&CATALOG_CODE=1X844&EID=X1844001&zmam=1460880&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=KC-09201&bhcd2=1250096553

It showed up on a google search.

BAC
Aug. 12, 2009, 02:19 PM
I can't seem to get over my annoyance that the reins are plain flat and not raised (let alone fancy stitched) to match the bridle.

When this bridle was first advertised in Dover's catalog they made a point of mentioning that the reins are flat, not raised. It had something to do with rider's who prefer the more natural "drape" of a flat rein, or something like that. Personally, I don't notice any difference between the feel of a flat rein or a raised, I just like everything to match.

fourfillies
Aug. 12, 2009, 02:25 PM
I got one when they first went on sale at the beginning of the spring and I'm happy with it. As others have said, wouldn't have been for $450 but for $199 quite nice (mine oiled up a nice medium dk brown).

Kipper10
Aug. 12, 2009, 02:54 PM
When I asked Dover's online representative they said it was a British makers bridle with no brand name, when it comes it has the Tad Coffin branding on it?

vxf111
Aug. 12, 2009, 02:56 PM
When this bridle was first advertised in Dover's catalog they made a point of mentioning that the reins are flat, not raised. It had something to do with rider's who prefer the more natural "drape" of a flat rein, or something like that. Personally, I don't notice any difference between the feel of a flat rein or a raised, I just like everything to match.

Oh isn't that PRECIOUS. I guess the answer "the meanufacturer was being cheap" didn't have the same ring ;)

I guess that's why low end bridles tend to have plain flat reins. Not because they're less expensive to produce, because only low end bridlemarkers are worried about the good drape.

Sniff test fail.

mom23monkeys
Aug. 12, 2009, 04:18 PM
Mine just came tonight. Very lovely bridle! Great value at $199. And yes, it is the Tad Coffin. Can't wait to set it up for use and see how it looks on my guy. Highly recommend so far.

That's odd. Mine came, and it is not a TC. I'm dissappointed. I guess I really did get a "BRITISH CLASSIC..." How did you get the TC? Mine had raised reins, but no TC stamp. Yours had a TC stamp and flat reins? I'm sorry. I hope I haven't mislead anyone.

BAC
Aug. 12, 2009, 04:37 PM
That's odd. Mine came, and it is not a TC. I'm dissappointed. I guess I really did get a "BRITISH CLASSIC..." How did you get the TC? Mine had raised reins, but no TC stamp. Yours had a TC stamp and flat reins? I'm sorry. I hope I haven't mislead anyone.

But the rep told you it was a TC right? So maybe that is reason enough to ask them to exchange it for a TC?

paint hunter
Aug. 12, 2009, 06:01 PM
The crown piece did not have the TC stamp on it that the catalog model shows. However, it did say Tad Coffin on the packaging material. So, not quite sure what it truly is. Yours came with raised reins?

vxf111
Aug. 12, 2009, 10:32 PM
Yours came with raised reins?

Oh horrors, what about the DRAPE!!!!!!!

Airamennyl
Aug. 13, 2009, 07:13 AM
Mine doesn't have the TC stamp or raised reins. I think as soon as the martingale gets here, I'm returning it all.

Kipper10
Aug. 13, 2009, 10:58 AM
I got the bridle and it said " Tad Coffin" bridle on the label on the bag but there isnt any identifying Tad Coffin branding on the bridle. It seems like a nice bridle though nonetheless. I can't decide whether to keep it or not :no:

paint hunter
Aug. 13, 2009, 12:06 PM
Maybe it's a "generic" Tad Coffin. Not really sure what it is; maybe a "second run" or something. Great bridle for $199 but would not pay $450 for it (and that's because I love bargains and hate to pay retail). I'm keeping mine as I wanted to see what my guy looks like in a slightly wider noseband and was not sure I would like the shaping of the Dover Hunter Derby bridle.

And yes, the shipping bag (which I kept) had a label on it that said "Tad Coffin". No matter what, I like it and am keeping it for my "collection."

paintlady
Aug. 13, 2009, 12:47 PM
Geez... this reminds me of the "label obsession" with clothing when I was a kid. Why all the fuss over a label on a bridle? If you like the bridle and think it's worth $199 - then keep it. If not, return it. Your horse won't know if it's a TC or not. :lol:

paint hunter
Aug. 13, 2009, 01:28 PM
I agree Paintlady. And I for one prefer not to be a walking advertisement for someone's product. I like quality and try to purchase based on that factor.

And yes, I really liked the feel of the leather when I opened the package. It had that nice solid smooth feel of nice leather that we all covet so much. I'm keeping the bridle because I like it! Now I want the matching standing martingale.

And on another note, I also ordered some CWD reins from Dover at the same time (save shipping costs) to match a bridle. There is a large plastic CWD label (in white letters) sewn onto the reins on the unlaced portion for all the world to see that these reins are made by CWD. Me thinks GM would not find this proper for the hunter ring, ha ha. A subtle label is fine but a billboard -type label, well, not my style.

BAC
Aug. 13, 2009, 02:16 PM
Geez... Why all the fuss over a label on a bridle? If you like the bridle and think it's worth $199 - then keep it. If not, return it. Your horse won't know if it's a TC or not. :lol:

Exactly. Maybe a production error caused some bridles to be manufactured without the TC stamp and that is why they are being sold for less money.

paintlady
Aug. 13, 2009, 02:20 PM
I agree Paintlady. And I for one prefer not to be a walking advertisement for someone's product. I like quality and try to purchase based on that factor.

:yes: I don't care what the brand is as long as it's well-made and fits my horse. It just seemed that a few on this thread were a bit too concerned on whether or not it was truly a "Tad Coffin" bridle.

I can understand wanting to buy a particular brand name product because the company is known for quality. What I don't understand is wanting to return it just because it doesn't have a TC stamp on it.

paint hunter... I'm glad to hear that your "no name" bridle turned out to be nice and worth the price. :)

RugBug
Aug. 13, 2009, 02:21 PM
Oh isn't that PRECIOUS. I guess the answer "the meanufacturer was being cheap" didn't have the same ring ;)

I guess that's why low end bridles tend to have plain flat reins. Not because they're less expensive to produce, because only low end bridlemarkers are worried about the good drape.

Sniff test fail.

Heh..I prefer flat reins and the reason is that I don't like how the raised portion hangs. :winkgrin: Guess they made this bridle with me in mind...too bad I'm poor.

french
Aug. 18, 2009, 03:01 PM
I just received the one I ordered today. The leather looks beautiful but I'm very concerned about how it's going to darken. I can't stand tack that is too light and I got this bridle for a very dark bay/brown mare. Does anyone have pictures of the bridle after oiling it? I would love to see them if you do.