PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need a Forward Flap???

Airamennyl
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:15 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but a search isn't turning up the answers to my question. How much room should there be between the point of your knee and the front edge of your saddle flap. In the saddle, the point of my knee is within a half inch or so of the edge of the flap, unless I'm standing in two point, in which I probably have an inch or so of space. I'm wondering if I should consider a forward flap? Any pics to show proper fit? Thanks!!

forestergirl99
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:06 AM
It sounds like you will need a forward flap. It is always good to have at least 2 inches of room. This way you have plenty of room for shortening your stirrups when you do higher fences. When you try a saddle, set your stirrups up to the length you would use to jump say....4ft or however high your goal is(make sure you think very long term goal as you don't want to be buying a new saddle every year or 2), if your knee is over the edge of the edge of the flap, the flap isn't forward enough.

This is a pretty nice fit flap wise for this person.
http://www.trumbullmtn.com/Saddle_Pics/New_ccpics/enigma.jpg

Airamennyl
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:38 AM
Thanks, I did decide to go for it and bought a FF saddle. My knee had nowhere the space like the pic you added. Thanks so much for your help.