PDA

View Full Version : Help for my hands. update with pic

AmandaandTuff
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:37 PM
I don't give a big enough release on my green horse, I grab the mane but not far enough forward. What can I do to remind myself to grab up higher? I'm pulling her face and I don't want to make her sour with this nasty habit.

Here's a picture, you can see I'm really ticking off my poor horse. I hate this saddle, I'll get a different picture in my eq. saddle when I jump later this week.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d77/DontBelieveInMe/jump.jpg

callmegold
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:00 PM
Reach for the ears? or put a neck strap on her where you want your release to be and grab that instead of mane?

SarahandSam
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:03 PM
Maybe make a braid where you want to reach, or braid in a red/bright ribbon to reach for?

AmandaandTuff
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:14 PM
I'll try a large braid or two with ribbon, I'd rather give too much than not enough.

spmoonie
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:16 PM
I know you didnt exactly ask for a critique, but....

You need to shorten you stirrups several holes. This will help give you more depth in your heels and will allow you to balance off of your leg, not your horse's mouth.

As for the release, all I can say is that you are just going to have to think to yourself, "bigger release," until it becomes second nature to you.

AmandaandTuff
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:22 PM
That saddle doesn't allow me to shorten my stirrups without my legs being akward on the flaps, its an AP saddle, I will have my CC back for the next time I go over fences. Hopefully My legs will look better, I haven't jumped anything over 2' in over a year.

I think I'm going to get on a packer to work on my position and have my trainer ride my horse for the experience.

Lucassb
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:44 PM
You are standing a bit, rather than allowing the horse's jump to softly close your hip angle. That is causing you to be out of balance with your horse, and you are catching her in the mouth as a result.

Working on developing a soft half seat on the flat while maintaining a deep heel *without depending on the reins for balance* will help a lot. Just push your hands up the neck and press them into the crest while you focus on looking up and ahead while you let the horse work under you at the walk, trot and canter. Then add a pole while you continue to focus on staying soft in the knee and hip as well as in your elbows. Once that is easy, progress to a simple crossrail, holding your position from several strides out to several strides after landing. Once you are comfortable and secure holding your position independently, you can try approaching in more of a full seat and allowing the horse to close that hip angle for you over larger fences.

joiedevie99
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:08 PM
You can't release properly with your stirrups that long - no base of support. Next time you don't have a proper saddle, best to stick with ground poles.

As for how to adjust release- start by setting up a small gymnastic- maybe a bounce to a 1 stride or a 1 stride to a 2 stride. As you go over the first one think about giving a big release. Don't sit up between the fences- stay in jumping position. Then, in between the two fences, slide your hands up another 6"-1'. It will feel really awkward- but if you do it a few times, it will start to make the 'right' release feel good. Then for regular lessons and stuff, take an extra stirrup leather and buckle it around the neck right where you think your hands should be. You'll have it back in no time.

2DaPoint
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:34 PM
I agree with your stirrups being too long. You don't have a whole lot of choice with a deep leg and seat position but to get left behind, and therefore not offer a lot of release.
You look completely defensive in that photo, and it's just not really a wonder.
Don't jump in that saddle again, or just let your leg look funny against the flap. You won't be the first....
KD