PDA

View Full Version : How is Leadline judged?

hellerkm
Aug. 3, 2009, 05:46 PM
I am thinking of taking DD to a few leadline classes before we let her loose in the ring alone.
I will be totally honest and say that I never saw the value in leadline, until now. I am thinking that a kid who as never shown before should NOT be let loose in there until she understands the basics! So lead line will give her a good idea of what commands will be asked, how the ring functions ( everyone goes the same direction ect) and how the line up works.
We have few local shows with leadline at the walk ,trot and one off lead class ( although I think a bunch of horses and ponies trotting around the ring with a bunch of people running along side , or AFTER them sounds dangerous to me)
So I assume the judge is looking for good turn out, suitability, and pretty picture, are they interested in diagonals in the trot class? we do know ours so that is not an issue. Do they want the KIDS to control the pony ( while the handler just hangs onto the end of the lead rope just in case there is a problem?) or should the handler be asking for the walk, and the halt?
I have stood around and watched a TON of these classes without ever really pay attention, now I need help! LOL
thanks for any info.

make x it x so
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:12 PM
Leadline is judged mostly on suitability (is the pony well-behaved and forgiving?), equitation (is the kid making an effort at least to keep the heels down/shoulders back/eyes up/etc.?), horsemanship (they often ask a simple question like "what color is your pony"), and of course, the overall cute factor.

Diagonals are good to know in a walk/trot leadline, and I'd imagine that the judge would prefer a rider that can successfully ask the pony to go/whoa over one where the leader is obviously doing everything. That being said, it is a LEADLINE class, so I don't think you'll be penalized much for say, needing to encourage a reluctant pony to trot on for a little kid whose legs don't go past the saddle.

Most leadline classes pick a winner and then everyone else ties for second (or some other similar arrangement) and are designed to introduce kids to the atmosphere of showing and make them want to move up to the bigger divisions.

wsmoak
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:19 PM
Leadline is... judged? I've only ever seen the little ones go 'round, then the announcer says that the judge can't possible decide, and they all get blue ribbons.

--
Wendy

HowDoILook
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:21 PM
I take my trainers son in lead line. I find that it is mostly on having the correct foundations for safe riding (heels down, sitting up straight, holding the reins correctly, proper posting). A suitable pony is a MUST for lead line. The pony we use for my trainers son is very suitable, but one day he found out there were mints and my pocket and the whole time he was trying to bite me. The judge told us that's why he win (only 2 in the class, him and his 2 year old sister who cant post consistently). I don't think diagonals matter unless its a really big class, its mostly just basics. usually they just have them trot down a long side and walk at the end. I have my kid make the pony go and stop by himself (with a little encouragement by starting to jog in front of him because he is lazy). But its really just suitability and basics.

Just a little brag :) My pony did the lead line with my trainers 2 year old daughter, and we won our suitability class. Even though she gets to distracted to post sometimes. He said he loved how my pony would jog with his head on the ground, right after he just watched me clock around the jumper ring :) The look on peoples face when we asked to hold the lead line cause the pony was doing the jumpers was priceless :D:D:D:D:D:D

hellerkm
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:25 PM
I take my trainers son in lead line. I find that it is mostly on having the correct foundations for safe riding (heels down, sitting up straight, holding the reins correctly, proper posting). A suitable pony is a MUST for lead line. The pony we use for my trainers son is very suitable, but one day he found out there were mints and my pocket and the whole time he was trying to bite me. The judge told us that's why he win (only 2 in the class, him and his 2 year old sister who cant post consistently). I don't think diagonals matter unless its a really big class, its mostly just basics. usually they just have them trot down a long side and walk at the end. I have my kid make the pony go and stop by himself (with a little encouragement by starting to jog in front of him because he is lazy). But its really just suitability and basics.

Just a little brag :) My pony did the lead line with my trainers 2 year old daughter, and we won our suitability class. Even though she gets to distracted to post sometimes. He said he loved how my pony would jog with his head on the ground, right after he just watched me clock around the jumper ring :) The look on peoples face when we asked to hold the lead line cause the pony was doing the jumpers was priceless :D:D:D:D:D:D

That is AWESOME! you hit the pony jackpot!! Thanks for sharing!

Coreene
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:58 PM
Leadline is judged by one of these:

1. who the child belongs to
2. who is doing the leading
3. who the pony belongs to

;)

hj0519
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:58 PM
Leadline is... judged? I've only ever seen the little ones go 'round, then the announcer says that the judge can't possible decide, and they all get blue ribbons.

--
Wendy

I think it just depends on the show. I've seen it both ways, sometimes everyone ties for first, sometimes they actually place the class, sometimes they have a winner and everyone else ties for second. It varies.

hellerkm
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:03 PM

;)

YUP this is what I have experienced LOL just making sure I am on target!

mroades
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:24 PM
all of the shows I judge have me tie them all for 1st...I got 3rd in my first leadline...lol

hellerkm
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:30 PM
I am NOT against competitive leadline, of course I do understand that its good for little ones to have a good experience. That said, my DD is COMPETITIVE ( she gets it from her dad, trust me) I think a few lead line classes so that she learns the ropes will be enough for her, she will WANT to know who wins and WHY! By spring she will be able to do some w/t classes on her own, but we want to take it slow and let her adjust to the show ring, by doing lead line she will figure out the mechanics of showing and be more comfortable , I hope.

englishivy
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:33 PM
well my 2 yr old DD asked if she could have the green ones (yes, she took TWO) because she already had a blue. Nothing like getting 6th place when you are the only one in the class. :lol:

So sometimes it doesn't matter what they place, as long as they get the color they want. :winkgrin:

hj0519
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:34 PM
Haha, so true. I've seen a lead line winner upset because she wanted the pink ribbon and not the blue one!

hellerkm
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:45 PM
Haha, so true. I've seen a lead line winner upset because she wanted the pink ribbon and not the blue one!

that is too funny! I guess giving out all blues is a smart idea!

MintHillFarm
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:11 PM

;)

Not on my card!

That being said, often I am asked by show management if I would tie them, so I do.

MHM
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:16 PM
When I judge leadline, I'm looking for the best rider.

Correct turnout helps make a good impression, a suitable mount lets the rider shine, but I'm looking for the kid who would cope the best if all the people leading the entries disappeared in a puff of smoke.

BTW, it is usually not the judge who decides if the leadline will be pinned or tied. That is a decision for show management.

Risk-Averse Rider
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:23 PM

--
WendyYeh, apparently back east, leadline is Serious Business. Kinda like getting your kind into the best nursery school so that s/he will be able to sail right into Harvard later. :lol:

You know - you want to get used in the Maclay Medal Finals, you better have socked away a lot of blues in leadline at least by age 3!!

Noctis
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:33 PM
At our local shows they are all tied...which has upsides and downsides :) My daughter is going in her first leadline next month at age 22mo :) She sits up straight, heels down, holds the reins well but heaven help you if you ask her a question lol she doesn't speak to strangers...or really at all!

hellerkm
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:55 PM
Yeh, apparently back east, leadline is Serious Business. Kinda like getting your kind into the best nursery school so that s/he will be able to sail right into Harvard later. :lol:

You know - you want to get used in the Maclay Medal Finals, you better have socked away a lot of blues in leadline at least by age 3!!
Great Politics at age 3 ( or in our case 5) LOL!! I can't take the pressure!

Lucassb
Aug. 4, 2009, 11:55 AM
Way back when, I used to do some judging for local shows. Show mgt always wanted the leadline to be "fun," ie, all tied for first.

So what I did was to award first places for different things:

Blue ribbon for the kid who posted the best
Blue ribbon for the kid that sat up and balanced the best
Blue ribbon for the kid with the best leg/heel down position
Blue ribbon for the kid with the best steering

Etc.

It worked well and seemed to satisfy everyone - the competitive ones liked being "best" at something specific and the ones that just wanted "a good experience," got a blue ribbon to hang on their banner.

:)

JWB
Aug. 4, 2009, 12:47 PM
Way back when, I used to do some judging for local shows. Show mgt always wanted the leadline to be "fun," ie, all tied for first.

Etc.

It worked well and seemed to satisfy everyone - the competitive ones liked being "best" at something specific and the ones that just wanted "a good experience," got a blue ribbon to hang on their banner.

What a fantastic idea.... I got the "stinkpot pony" award at pony camp one summer for being best able to deal with a very barn sour pony - In truth, I was the only one there with a pony that regularly tried to leave the riding ring and high-tail it back to the barn - but at that age I was really proud that they said I was doing a great job of dealing with it.

mosmom
Aug. 4, 2009, 01:31 PM
My youngest son started out doing leadline. He is now 9 years old and knows quite a bit about showing because of it. We've never been to a show that tied everyone for first. Every show we went to the kids needed to be dressed properly. They also needed to demonstrate that they had control and that the leader was just there - the leadline needed to have slack. When they turned the kids needed to look where they wanted to go and turn - just like they would if they were riding by themselves. We've also been to shows were they had to demonstrate a two-point and answer a couple questions. One judge did say that she was having a tough job with pinning the walk/trot leadline because everyone did a great job but only one rider posted on the correct diagnal and that was my son :D.

FAW
Aug. 4, 2009, 01:52 PM
Everyone gets a blue ribbon and a stuff horse toy

Madeline
Aug. 4, 2009, 02:04 PM

;)

When my mother and I were forced to actually select a winner, we tended to choose the child whose mother looked like she could do us the greatest personal injury.

I hate leadline. All the worst of showing ( emphasis on turnout, "cute", etc.) and no actual competence.

hellerkm
Aug. 4, 2009, 02:17 PM
When my mother and I were forced to actually select a winner, we tended to choose the child whose mother looked like she could do us the greatest personal injury.

I hate leadline. All the worst of showing ( emphasis on turnout, "cute", etc.) and no actual competence.
WEll then we will lose , I am about the LEAST threatening person you will ever meet!

ParisHillEC
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:06 PM
I have a bunch of lead liners right now.

Every show we have been to this summer has tied them all for first. It has now gotten to the point where one of my 5yr students said "Blue again!?" lol

She told me she is ready for more competition...haha

I just try to let it all be for fun at this stage...and I told her she will have plenty of times where she will not win the blue next season. She cant wait to earn a different colored one.

Good luck to your daughter!!

hellerkm
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks, I am not sure how many lead line classes we will do. She walks and trots well on her own, so I think just a few of these until she gets it all sorted out will be enough.
We are in zone 2 and I have heard that even the mini stirrup and the SS are very competitive, its amazing to me. The kids are supposed to be LEARNING, but I guess that's how it has always been around here so it won't change.

blton9th
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:21 PM
My oldest did LL and now my youngest is doing LL. We have yet to go to a show and have any kind of tie! LL is very serious business round here.:lol:

A good foundation is a must, heels down, sitting up nice and straight etc..
MHO LL is for the wee ones that can not walk-trot-canter alone. ;)
Last fall we were @ a large local show, LL class was very large. My DD was clearly the youngest in the class showing against much older kids that were obviously much more advanced. So much more advanced a bunch of the same LL kids were actually in my older DD walk trot classes.

hellerkm
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:30 PM
My oldest did LL and now my youngest is doing LL. We have yet to go to a show and have any kind of tie! LL is very serious business round here.:lol:

A good foundation is a must, heels down, sitting up nice and straight etc..
MHO LL is for the wee ones that can not walk-trot-canter alone. ;)
Last fall we were @ a large local show, LL class was very large. My DD was clearly the youngest in the class showing against much older kids that were obviously much more advanced. So much more advanced a bunch of the same LL kids were actually in my older DD walk trot classes.
I agree and I would NOT cross enter her in a walk trot class at the same show where she did a LL class. I know many do but I just dont' think that is "fair", I want to use LL so she can learn the ins and outs of the show ring, like I said she should only need a few shows before she can do the w/t classes.

Jaegermonster
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:47 PM

--
Wendy

Agreed. that's how it is here. Plus they usually get a coloring book or something. As far as "the value" of leadline, the value is that it's so friggin cute. It's entertainment value for the parents, and just fun. That's it.

My niece is 5, and they are moving here in october. I am so getting a pony, and I cannot wait for the leadline classes.

Mamy
Aug. 4, 2009, 07:12 PM
My 7, 5 and 2 yr olds just did their first show, all did LL. The classes were pinned, but each kid got a ribbon no matter what. But my kids could have cared less as they also got CANDY BAGS! LOL! When grandparents asked how they did the report was " I got candy!"

dogchushu
Aug. 4, 2009, 09:19 PM
Yeh, apparently back east, leadline is Serious Business. Kinda like getting your kind into the best nursery school so that s/he will be able to sail right into Harvard later. :lol:

LOL. Yes. I live in the area of Serious Leadline (for some reason, I hear that in the voice of James Earl Jones).

I'll never forget when a show had a hack to determine champion of the leadline division. Heck, most of the other divisions flip a coin if there's a tie and they're not in a division that's going for year end points. But not these leadline mothers. They had to have a ride off. Or, well, a walk off. :lol:

I've been told the judge looks for position and whether the kid is doing any real riding or just being led around. But I really don't see much difference in the kids most of the time. Often, you've got some kids looking around "oh! a bug!"; some are crying; some are eating their gloves.... :lol: How do you pin that? But it's very, very cute!

Ajierene
Aug. 4, 2009, 09:55 PM
In my experience it is judged on cuteness of the rider and cuteness of the horse.

There was a girl that came to our barn thinking she was such a great rider and flaunting her 'Devon Championship'.

Turns out she qualified for Devon leadline (which takes what, three rated shows of at least a 4th place or something). And ohh...won the class!

So, ten years prior she was at Devon and since then until her teen years when she got to our barn, which was a far cry from any fancy rated barn, she did nothing. Right, great riding skills you have there.

eqrider1234
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:03 PM
I'll never forget when a show had a hack to determine champion of the leadline division. Heck, most of the other divisions flip a coin if there's a tie and they're not in a division that's going for year end points. But not these leadline mothers. They had to have a ride off. Or, well, a walk off. :lol:

I've been told the judge looks for position and whether the kid is doing any real riding or just being led around. But I really don't see much difference in the kids most of the time. Often, you've got some kids looking around "oh! a bug!"; some are crying; some are eating their gloves.... :lol: How do you pin that? But it's very, very cute!

Very funny post! Walkoff? Reminds me of zoolander :lol: and the bug crying and eating the gloves is SOOOO true!!

spmoonie
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:23 PM
LOL. Yes. I live in the area of Serious Leadline (for some reason, I hear that in the voice of James Earl Jones).

If I ever lead lined, I would have been the glove eater....:lol:

Walk off... thats too cute.

AndNirina
Aug. 4, 2009, 11:33 PM
The last time my son, who's now 4, did leadline he yelled 'hi' to my mom (the Great and Hallowed Grandma) every time we walked past her in the show arena and tried to trade in his blue ribbon (yes, they all got blues) for a bag of Sun Chips off the catering truck. Nevertheless, he looked adorable and the pony looked adorable. We got fantastic pictures as well.

Good luck to your DD however and by whomever she may be judged. Have fun!

horseshrink
Aug. 4, 2009, 11:59 PM
I decided it was time to quit LL with my son when standing at the in gate a passerby wished him "good luck." He turns and says, "Oh, it doesn't matter, we all get first place."

Ummm...time to move up to the walk classes.

luvdogz72
Jul. 12, 2015, 03:49 PM

love it!

Lord Helpus
Jul. 12, 2015, 07:43 PM
all of the shows I judge have me tie them all for 1st...I got 3rd in my first leadline...lol

So did I!! :D I was very proud of my "lellow" ribbon. :)

mroades
Jul. 12, 2015, 07:45 PM
zombie thread....but thanks for being a member of the "real" leadline club...bahahaha