PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: Lost over 100 pounds now! Critique...

Luna
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:23 PM
Just thought I would send an update, as I have now lost over 100 pounds and am feeling great! I am sure my horse certainly appreciates it, too ;)

Also, I thought I would include some updated pics of my baby. He was the three year old from the track that was injured. Due to poor barn management, he ended up bowing a tendon while I was away and was on stall rest and recovery efforts for some time. It has been several months since then and we are taking things very slowly but he has progressed well and is 100% sound. I figure in another thirty pounds I will start riding him (I am 5'11 so I am going to be heavy even at my ideal weight).

Critiques are welcome on him, but I should mention that he has suddenly shot up two inches in the back end and is consiquently very ribby. I have found when he goes through a growth spurt he tends to get lanky. He is getting teeth done next month though just in case there is anything else going on, and our local co-op has a nutritionist that comes out and designs a feed regime for each individual horse.

Also, I am not a show rider, and he is not intended as a show horse but hopefully a solid all-arounder.

Thanks!

Before picture from when I bought him to four months after:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5184031&l=f2cd02d5b4&id=515910227

Today:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8032050&l=59cf9d2e25&id=515910227

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8032051&l=bbfc568943&id=515910227

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8032053&l=0b27bd7bd3&id=515910227

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8032057&l=14a17d08d1&id=515910227

And on the move:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8032059&l=430add6f44&id=515910227

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8032060&l=8b5c5877c4&id=515910227

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8032061&l=74c3ed0d1a&id=515910227

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8032062&l=a6b4230976&id=515910227

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8032063&l=931fc74a90&id=515910227

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8032065&l=1f6ba74ff5&id=515910227

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=8032066&l=d3bfe0d0e0&id=515910227

ellebeaux
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:26 PM
He's gorgeous!

2 questions:

1) how did you lose 100 pounds? That is awesome!

2) how did you get him to change color like that?!

Calhoun
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:43 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss. Please share your story.

Carol O
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:51 PM
Congratulations on your weight loss! What you have done is one of the hardest things to do!

Yes, I too am interested.... How'd ya do it?

Coreene
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:56 PM
Congrats! I have lost 80 lbs since the end of June last year, and I'm just SO happy! Like you I am still not there, but getting close!

Luna
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:01 PM
Thank you everyone! I have no idea how he got so dark in the winter, but my not so great camera taking pics of him in the indoor may be part of the reason for him being so dark, but he has sun bleached out quite a bit. Other than blanketing (he can be a little naughty in the field) does anyone know of a product to stop the sun bleaching? I have seen it for Black horses, never for bays though.

Also, in regards to the weight loss, I ate properly and exercised. Is that not the most lame answer?? It will be a fight for the rest of my life and I know that, but it is worth the effort. I'll post new pics of the dressage beast and I when I can rope in a camera man ;)

dressagedevon
Aug. 4, 2009, 09:43 AM
That is so awesome on your weight loss, and your horse is so gorgeous! Also there is a product for bays, I think it is called red divinity? It's expensive though. Congrats again!

Sakura
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:23 AM
He is a handsome boy :) To keep him from bleaching just give him 1-2 table spoon(s) of paprika in his feed every day (take him off of it 10 days before a show as it will test)... keeps any coat color from bleaching, not just black. Flax or BOSS in the diet may also help a bit too.

nightmoves
Aug. 4, 2009, 10:50 AM
He is a handsome boy :) To keep him from bleaching just give him 1-2 table spoon(s) of paprika in his feed every day (take him off of it 10 days before a show as it will test)... keeps any coat color from bleaching, not just black. Flax or BOSS in the diet may also help a bit too.

Seriously that is such a wives tale. The only way to keep a horse from bleaching is to keep them out of the sun.

hoopoe
Aug. 4, 2009, 11:01 AM
Congrats on your victory.

My one bit of advice about your riding ahead is to double check your saddle. More than likely it will be too big for you and you may need a seat or width ( or both) adjustment.

For me it was a small price to pay for losing the weight I did.

You horse is sweet. I love TBs , particularly their expression. He looks like he has a lot more maturing to do. You will benifit from a slow careful rehab. It will build up that hind end.

There are some sun screen containing hair care products. I like "Pink" Sheen Spray. This is a hair care product originally produced for black (human) users. It is light and non-gummy. It contains a sunscreen product and the aerosol is light and fairly non-hissy.

I also like Super 14 powder, which is for skin and coat.

Plus since your fellow was on confinement and likely had Bute during some of the time, consider adding some Probiotic product to the program. He has had a lot of stresses, along with just growing.

My horse is on month 10 post op and over the winter he really started having some condition issues. Considering he is an air fern this was pretty upsetting to me. I started him back on Probios powder and he picked up a lot of body condition within the month.

Again congrats on your personal success and continued good luck with your handsome boy

PolarPony
Aug. 4, 2009, 11:47 AM
What a gorgeous boy! And congrats with the weight loss :D

jumpingmaya
Aug. 4, 2009, 12:31 PM
You horse is sweet. I love TBs , particularly their expression. He looks like he has a lot more maturing to do. You will benifit from a slow careful rehab. It will build up that hind end.
(...)
Plus since your fellow was on confinement and likely had Bute during some of the time, consider adding some Probiotic product to the program. He has had a lot of stresses, along with just growing.

Agree to everything said above!!! Love that thoroughbred eye... :yes:
And probiotic should help... You can also check out "Equine Saver"... never had better coats than when mine are on that...

And like everyone else said... congratulations on your weight loss.. that is absolutely wonderful... A new world is at your fingertips :winkgrin:
Keep up the good work!!!! Definitely not an easy path but it is well worth your health!!!

Sakura
Aug. 4, 2009, 01:54 PM
Seriously that is such a wives tale. The only way to keep a horse from bleaching is to keep them out of the sun.

Well, it's worked on every horse I've used it on... you must be doing something wrong :lol::lol::lol:.

Here's a little science to help you understand... this "wives tale"

Okay a few factoids;
there are basically two pigments in the hair of the horse Eumelanin which is black and phaeomelanin which is red or no melanin which is white. The pigments occur in microscopic granules and are laid down between the strands of Keratin which make up the hairshaft.

The pigment granules are produced at the base of the hairshaft and can be laid down in the shaft in various different patterns (genetically controlled) .
They can be all around the hair shaft, or just on one side (dilution gene) or just on the inner surface of the shaft (double dilution gene).

Once laid down and the hair has grown out of the root bed, they cannot be added too, but they can be destroyed or altered by the action of chemicals or sunlight or both.

The biochemical pathway which produces both pigments involves an enzyme that uses copper ions as an electron acceptor. Thus for the pigments to be produced fully there needs to be copper present in the cell.

If the horse (or cow) is short of copper then the enzyme can't do it;s job and the pigments are produced slowly if at all and sometimes in a different form.
So to ensure that the animal gets it's full dose of pigment synthsized you need to ensure a supply of copper in the diet.
Paprika is rich in copper flavenoids, especially the Hungarian paprika.

Thus as long as you feed a supplement rich in copper the hairs will get their full dose of pigment. BUT this only happens when the hairs are being produced as they grow, once they are grown, you cannot add any more pigment, you can only either lose it to the action of sunlight and or chemicals.
So once the hair has grown you can improve the texture of the hair (more on that later) but not the content. You can add pigment to the outer layers as in dyeing, but not to the inner hair shaft.

Part of the appearance of the color is not only where in the shaft the pigment granules lie but the refractive index of the scales that coat the outside of the hair shaft ( I warned you that there would be physics involved).
Whene the hair is new and young the scales have a good supply of sebum, the oil which coats them and they have a high refractive index, the light gets bounced around within the hair shaft and the hairs appear darker and shinier.
As the hairs age they lose the sebum, and the scales begin to peel away and the hair appears less shiny and lighter.
So to help the hair keep it's refractive index you can
a) give the horse a high fat diet which makes the little sebacous glands at the base of the hair produce more sebum, which coats the hairs and they appear darker and shinier (hence why Platinum Performance, a high fat supplement based on flax seed causes a darker coat).
Or B) apply a conditioner with oils in it to the hairshaft. This will also cause the little scales to lie down flat and improve the refractive index.
You can also apply a coating of conditioner with little tiny reflective scales in it these tiny scales add to the refractive index and make the hair shinier.

But anything applied to the outside of the hair shaft is going to be temporary at best.
Things on the inside last a bit longer.

But the bottom line is to make a hair coat darker and shinier use a mix of copper and fat. The fat has an immediate effect the copper when the next coat change occurs.

BTW if you eat a lot of Hungarian paprika your skin will get a darker shinier color as well, that's what the feed through fake tans are based on.
Your hair will grow darker as well, but you'll see it first in the skin.

Hope this makes sense.
Yours
MW

originally posed by Melyni on this thread... http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=159189&highlight=organic+copper&page=2

Pony Fixer
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:32 PM
Sakura said (re: previous thread):

Thus as long as you feed a supplement rich in copper the hairs will get their full dose of pigment. BUT this only happens when the hairs are being produced as they grow, once they are grown, you cannot add any more pigment, you can only either lose it to the action of sunlight and or chemicals.
So once the hair has grown you can improve the texture of the hair (more on that later) but not the content. You can add pigment to the outer layers as in dyeing, but not to the inner hair shaft.

Right there is proof it DOES NOT work.

Alagirl
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:48 PM
Also, in regards to the weight loss, I ate properly and exercised. Is that not the most lame answer?? It will be a fight for the rest of my life and I know that, but it is worth the effort.

Cudos to you :yes: That is actually the best answer ever! Life should not be a diet...:winkgrin::winkgrin::cool:

Sakura
Aug. 4, 2009, 05:52 PM
Sakura said (re: previous thread):

Right there is proof it DOES NOT work.

If it's in the hair shaft the hair will not bleach to the extent it will if the copper is not present... but then again what the hell do I know (http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g278/Copperleaf/CulpeperVAHA09.jpg) :rolleyes:... keeps my horse black even though he lives out 24/7 year round and was so bleached he looked like a yellow dun when I bought him as a yearling.

myvanya
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:12 PM
Congrats on the weight loss....I can't see the pics since fb is blocked at work :( but I know weight loss is so hard! I recently had to lose 45 (only! compared to you that's nothing...you are amazing!) and lost it the same way you did. It really is the only way to go. Best wishes for continuing on with it and maintaining and all as that can be hard too. Horses help so much though just by giving motivation and encouragement :) So again....congrats!!!

MyReality
Aug. 5, 2009, 06:19 PM
First congrats on the weight loss.

Second. Your horse is young so showing a little rib is normal. Once on the right exercise program and provided he is fed right he will put layers of muscles on him and look more fill out and round.

Thirdly. Bleaching does not hurt a horse so no need to worry. Doesn't affect score, doesn't affect how you ride, doesn't affect the majority of us one bit. As long as he is healthy and happy, he will start to look shiny and beautiful... what color who cares.

swgarasu
Aug. 6, 2009, 05:58 PM
OP- congrats on your weight loss!

Sakura- thanks for the factoid! Very interesting! Like blue m&m's ! :D

Luna
Aug. 10, 2009, 12:24 PM
Thank you very much to everyone for all the kind words and support. On a side note, my Thoroughbred is now 16.2hh at the back and just over 16hh in hte front. I have never ridden him (because I felt like I would just be too big on him) but in theory, what weight (assuming I ride in a balanced manner) would he be capable of carrying?

Alagirl
Aug. 10, 2009, 02:10 PM
assuming you didn't go from 800 to 700 pounds :winkgrin: you should be fine.

I am wondering if he is in a current growth spurt, being bum high, in that case I'd wait a bit till he got balanced out. he looks solid, I personally see no problem of you getting to know him from top side. :yes:

Luna
Aug. 10, 2009, 02:17 PM
hahaha...that's too funny! Fortunately for both of us that wasn't the case, but truth be told I was hoping to give it a few months before getting on, just to let him get a little weight on and even out. I was thinking about doing some side rein lunging exercises but I am hesitant...is it better to just work in hand or do brief riding sessions focused on bending and softening instead?

Alagirl
Aug. 10, 2009, 02:24 PM
lol, well, mix it up, do some of this, some of that. A little bit of riding, trails, if the two of you can manage...

Cross training (sort of) can't hurt, keeps things fresh and the best way to build muscles is to use them (correct).