PDA

View Full Version : Show Jumper Barns in Davis/Sacramento CA area

virtus02
Aug. 3, 2009, 05:18 PM
I am planning on moving to the Davis area next year and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or experiences with good or not so good trainers in the area so I could start my search! I am currently doing the 3'6 jumpers on my horse and am hoping to gradually move up in the next year and continue moving up for a few years after the move. Ideally I'm looking for a show barn with a good reputation and relatively close to Davis. Thanks for any suggestions! :cool:

KateKat
Aug. 3, 2009, 05:27 PM
There are a ton of barns out here, I have a friend who rides and shows in Davis, I'll have to ask what her trainer's name is. I think he's based out of an old (no longer operational) Peruvian Paso breeding barn or something. But I know she does jumpers.

If you're willing to drive, Leone's is probably about 45 minutes away from Davis off Hwy 16 and I currently riding at Kelly Van Vleck's barn. I don't show but she does have a lot of juniors and adults who do and she has a good reputation in the area. Her assistant trainers (who I ride with) are also fantastic. She is located in Rancho Murrieta, which would be quite a drive for you (probably an 45 min-an hour on a good day) but if you would be able to ride at times that aren't popular (like midday) the commute would not be a problem.

ETA: also, any reason why Davis? If you could live downtown and commute to Davis (probably 20 minutes) it would also be easier to reach the Elk Grove/Wilton area which has a lot of barns as well.

Pippen2
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:16 PM
Peter McGregor is the jumper trainer at Hacienda (the old Peruvian Paso place). Thats where I rode when I went to school at Davis. Peter was always very helpful and they are a super fun group. Feel free to PM if you want more info, and I am also familiar with some of the other barns around there.

LovesHorses
Aug. 4, 2009, 12:43 AM
Carol Wright is about 45 mins away. Kicks @ss in the jumpers! www.melodicfarms.com

fourmares
Aug. 4, 2009, 01:43 AM
I live in Woodland which is just north of Davis. As far as I know the only trainers in the Davis area that go to A shows are Peter McGreggor at Hacienda Halaguena, Jan Heinze at Willow Creek Horse Park and Julia Parsier who is also at Hacienda Halaguena (I think she's still there, there was talk that she was moving). I know that Julia has a website Prestige Equestrian I think. I don't know about Peter or Jan, but Willow Creek has one.

If you didn't want to drive to Sacramento, I think Duncan McFarland is still in Fairfeild which is about 40 mins. south, and there is another Jumper trainer in that area, who's name I can't recall... found out about her because she had a horse advertised on Bay Area Equestrian.

virtus02
Aug. 4, 2009, 02:39 PM
Thank you all so much!! I'll start researching everybody, if anyone has links to the websites or emails i would greatly appreciate it!! Thanks again

Fun Size
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:07 PM
I've heard good things about Duncan in Fairfield, and it isn't too bad of a drive from Davis (I went to UCD for my BA). I was given his name as a referral last year by a good friend who has been doing hunters forever, but it ended up that he had moved to Fairfield and that is a little bit of a drive from Burbank hehe!

Perfect Pony
Aug. 4, 2009, 03:28 PM
I've heard good things about Duncan in Fairfield, and it isn't too bad of a drive from Davis (I went to UCD for my BA). I was given his name as a referral last year by a good friend who has been doing hunters forever, but it ended up that he had moved to Fairfield and that is a little bit of a drive from Burbank hehe!

Duncan is no longer in Fairfield, but his ex wife Gry still is, they have a good program.
http://www.windfallfarminc.com/

Of course Kelly has already been mentioned, she's at Rancho Murieta and is also very good
http://www.vanvleckranch.com/

And Carol Wright in Elk grove is a bit closer, but still on the other side of Sacramento
http://melodicfarms.com/

fourmares
Aug. 5, 2009, 01:58 AM
Didn't Andrea Barbie (Dreamland Farm) go pro? She's in Dixon... don't know if she trains at that level if she trains at all.

chestnutwithchrome
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:46 AM
I rode with Andrea Barbee while I was going to U.C. Davis. She is a pro now, and in addition to all of her sales horses, she gives lessons in hunters and jumpers from ponies to 4'. I rode the low jumpers and had a great time with her. She is very patient and is very good and describing what she wants you to do. If you just want extra time riding as well, I was able to work off part of my lessons riding her sales horses, which was great for improving my riding. It was only a 15-20 minute drive from downtown davis to her place.

ponygirl11
Aug. 6, 2009, 10:55 AM
I've always heard that Jan Hainze is really good, shes always at all the A shows in Norcal and Willow Creek is a nice new facility.
http://willowcreekhorsepark.com/

indygirl2560
Aug. 6, 2009, 04:40 PM
I know several people who train with Kelly Van Vleck and they say she's great.
Leone definitely has some big jumper. At my last show there, I say some of his students schooling 5ft!
Andrea Barbee is another good trainer to consider.

I would recommend my barn but it's a bit far from Davis!