PDA

View Full Version : Who is your 'dream horse' and why?

Blacktree
Aug. 3, 2009, 05:42 PM
Out of all of the horses that you have had (or have known, past and present), who has your favorite been so far, and why? Please share some pics and let us know what qualities have made that horse exactly what you wanted - was it their conformation? attitude? movement? body type? jumping style? something else?

I know that everyone's 'dream horse' is a little different, so I thought it would be great to hear from everyone about what they are looking for.

And for your next horse - what qualities would you want to improve on (from your current horse), and what qualities do you hope to get again?

DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:01 PM
I don't think of it this way. I think every horse has something to teach me - maybe a lesson I don't want to learn, or think I already know (but I don't).

What I do want for my own horse? Smarts and sensitivity. I do not want big movement (I don't care what you need in FEI levels, my back won't take it). I also want a good work ethic.

Dressage_Julie
Aug. 3, 2009, 06:40 PM
My dream horse would have been Roemer- I would have loved to ride him just once.

I have to agree with DressageGeek- every horse I have had or ridden has taught me something. Here is a summary of the horses I have owned:
My first pony "Midnight" gave me confidence
My second pony, "Thunder" taught me humility (literally)
My first horse "Willy" we learned first level thru I-1 together- he taught me about true partnership. He gave his whole heart and soul into every test. He wasn't the most brilliant horse, but he was the most consistent. He showed me what it was like to have a horse cover for me.
I had a schoolmaster "Rushonne" that showed me one's, piaffe and passage- he taught me how to ask a horse not tell. He taught me if I didn't ask perfectly, he wasn't going to give it to me perfectly.
"Oprhie" taught me that not all projects can be fixed, no matter how hard you try to undo what had already been done. And that not all horses need a person.
I use all of what I have learned so far on my baby horse "Gram." She is teaching me patience, when to push and how to give confidence to my horse.

I am hoping my baby horse is my dream horse- so far she has been. Great mind, smart, very athletic. Amazing walk, trot is good and canter has potential. Her personality is goofy, but still sweet and she is an in your face cuddler. For me, that bond between the horse and rider is so important. I like when she happy to see me and I to see her.

Calhoun
Aug. 3, 2009, 07:40 PM
It's a tie between my first horse and the horse I have now. Lucky for me, as a kid the horse Gods bestowed the perfect horse to learn on. The horse I have now is a mare and we're totally bonded to one another. If she could improve on one thing, it would be suppleness. She has a tendency to be a little tense and prone to holding her breath. In the years between the first horse and the current horse, I have had the pleasure of owning two buttheads and learned how to divorce a horse.

I have also had the pleasure of owning the almost perfect TB. He was love at first sight and we were together for 13 years. Unfortunately his idea of hell was dressage and after the first year of ownership he was my everything but dressage horse.

slc2
Aug. 3, 2009, 08:24 PM
All of them are dream horses. :)

A dream horse is one that is well matched to the rider; it's not necessarily a perfect or pretty horse. The partnership may not even be all that smooth each day, as long as it is a horse that challenges the rider in the right way.

And a lot of times the not so dream horse still teaches the rider a great deal, and may still be what he needs.

mypaintwattie
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:13 PM
I've had the amazing opportunity to work with and ride some amazing horses in my career: Kenn Acebal's Lennox, Kathleen Raine's Fidelia and Avontuur, and Coreene's Oliver:) but my dream horse would most certainly be Willem. I wish I would have had the opportunity to have known him. :winkgrin:

Honestly though, my horse Sierra is my dream horse! I dreamed for 15 years and finally got my own horse.

Coreene
Aug. 3, 2009, 10:58 PM
Aw shit, Wattie, I'm reading this on the parking lot at the barn in tears, I am so touched! I bought Willem 17 years ago today. Best day of my life. :sadsmile: I, too, was going to say Willem. :yes: And then Oliver. And Major, my first horse. And Flying Deck, the first horse I ever rode. And Copper, Willem's and Oliver's best friend. Big, big footprints on my heart.

InsideLeg2OutsideRein
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:58 PM
It might be a little early to tell but I am starting a lease on a schoolmistress, and I adore and love her!!! I've only had three rides / one clinic and a few trail rides on her (but have known her for years), and we just seem to click pretty well. She has had one rider her whole life, so we're still trying to figure each other out, but she's been very generous. Her owner bought her at age 3 and then over the past 13 years brought her to earn her the Silver Medal. She's Oldenburg, actually has less than stellar gaits, is build a tinsy bit downhill, but is a HARD worker, with a wonderful temperament -- she's very, very sweet, but also brave, with a whole lot of self confidence and self-sufficiency. She takes praise with an "well, thank you, but of course I do that well!". She's forward and always tries, and is very sensitive, and obviously has been very correctly trained to I1. I just feel like a princess on her and smile. It's all about keeping her relaxed, swinging, and up, and that suits me well. Her owner wants her to have to work a little less hard now and just left to Europe to pick up her new horse, and I'm thrilled about this opportunity:D.

And of course I love my one and only OTTB, but he's more of a pet :).

kylie888
Aug. 4, 2009, 12:09 AM
:D pony?yah...i wanna ride with those cute pony..:)

TMPF
Aug. 4, 2009, 09:43 AM
My dream horse was my first pony. I prayed every night for a pony, then one day a man asked if he could keep one at my grandfathers for a couple of days and he never returned. I learned so much going from never being on a horses back to galloping through the trails. To this day all my favorites have been chestnuts, even if my current horse is a dressage dream come true Trixie was my first real love.

thatmoody
Aug. 4, 2009, 12:13 PM
The horses I'm riding right now are all my dream horse, but I could never afford any one like them , so I'll just keep enjoying and enjoying what they have to teach me.

I'm thinking now, though, about getting another horse, since my gelding is retired due to his neurological issues. I'm going to look at a friesian cross this weekend (not even green broke) and laughing at myself. I'm feeling good about it, though - not about this particular horse (although I've certainly started enough 3-4 year olds that the process doesn't intimidate me) but about the hopes and dreams that one brings to the search. I have such a limited budget, and I'm riding such high end horses right now, that the gap between what I want and what I can get is astronomical. But what I DO have now is a sense of what I can accomplish given time and patience. Can I get an 8 mover? Probably not on my budget. But can I get a horse that I can learn to improve on? Probably.

Blacktree
Aug. 5, 2009, 02:42 PM
I have also had the pleasure of owning the almost perfect TB. He was love at first sight and we were together for 13 years. Unfortunately his idea of hell was dressage and after the first year of ownership he was my everything but dressage horse.

:lol::lol: I have one of those, too. Horsie love of my life, yes. Amazing cross country horse, yes. Dream horse for dressage - definitely not. Love him anyway though... Here he is (you'll notice that there are no dressage pictures of him, ha ha): http://warmblood-color.com/Pages/Horses/Fraju/Fraju.html

My dressage dream horse I think will be our 2yo gelding, Odin. He really is everything that I've always wanted so far. Great, entertaining personality and very sensible away from home. His movement is to die for, so elastic and naturally engaged. Plus he's got just the right body mass (so far) that I was looking for - not as thickly built as his old-style WB dam, but more solid than his jumper-bred sire. Here he is: http://warmblood-color.com/Pages/Horses/Foals/Odin.html

I don't think of it this way. I think every horse has something to teach me - maybe a lesson I don't want to learn, or think I already know (but I don't).

Yes, absolutely they all have something to teach us - that's why I love riding, you'll never get bored. :) In fact, many times (as slc2 mentioned) the ones that aren't our 'dreamhorse' are exactly what we need at the time. ;)

Looking at our 2yo now though, I keep catching myself thinking, "Wow. This really is what I've been wanting all these years." That got me wondering, what type of horse is everyone else looking for? If you could have everything you ever wanted in a horse, what would that be? Doesn't have to be pretty or perfect, just has to be *the right* horse for you.

Thanks for your replies so far everyone - I'm enjoying them!

Hampton Bay
Aug. 5, 2009, 04:32 PM
I am thinking my yearling filly may just be my dream horse. She's half Lusitano and out of my appendix mare (who I just adore, but who is starting to show her age a bit). She has the forwardness that I have always loved about her dam, but her sire's love of anything that could possibly feed or scratch him. She is also looking to be quite an improvement on her dam's conformation and movement. Since the foals I have known from her sire just keep getting nicer and nicer as they age, I am betting she will do the same.

But then I also have a 3yo Arab gelding who should hit about 15.3h, and I am really liking him. When I first started him I thought he might end up being too sluggish for my taste, but he has become a lot more forward and sensitive. He has a wonderful canter, and has the potential for a lovely trot as well. I think he would be a nice dressage horse, but I think he would absolutely clean up in the main-ring hunter classes on the Arab circuit.

slc2
Aug. 5, 2009, 06:32 PM
WarmbloodColor, great video of the chestnut horse jumping and you look like you have a velcro butt....but please....do tell your horse that trying to drain the water hazard by drinking it is 'unacceptable assistance'.:lol:

Bogey2
Aug. 5, 2009, 07:38 PM
"Charlie" he is my first dressage horse, a schoolmaster and is now "teaching" my niece. I pinch myself that I have been lucky enough to own such a wonderful horse, he is priceless!:)

J-Lu
Aug. 6, 2009, 12:47 AM
For dressage, I would love to have my current horse all over again but when she was three. Actually, when she was in utero because her mom was malnourished and so was she. With what i have learned with her, I now might be closer to realizing her true talent. And then I'd want her again in about 15 years from now. In addition, she has the coolest, most expressive and most accessible personality of any horse I have ever known. She is a dog in horse clothing. I have ridden lots of better quality horses but few horses that I've *enjoyed* riding more than my own horse. Nod to Donates, who came awfully close.

But my real dream horse is the little critter in my current horse's uterus. I bred her to a Sandro Hit/Donnerhall/Rubinstein stallion. The SH will hopefully add elasticity while maintaining the engagement and rideability/trainability of the D/R lines. Who knows what'll happen but right now that is my ultimate dream horse!

Blacktree
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:02 AM
WarmbloodColor, great video of the chestnut horse jumping and you look like you have a velcro butt....but please....do tell your horse that trying to drain the water hazard by drinking it is 'unacceptable assistance'.:lol:

:lol::lol::lol: I'll be sure to tell him.
That guy could sure be a difficult ride sometimes - but man oh man he was fun once you got rolling on cross country. I am very ready to start showing another horse in dressage though. :)

Dressage Art
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:19 AM
My dream horse is my mare that I have now when she is SOUND (she has a degenerative navicular)

Why? Simply b/c I love her. That's enough to make me happy.

She has the strongest/greatest personality that I ever had in a horse. We click together, she takes care of me. I can take her anywhere, even to a 3 day trail riding vacation with friends and show her at 4th level. She takes care of my hubby = when she was just 5 years old, my hubby trail rode her for 3 hours!!! and she was just great, took a great care of him. She is a mother hen! She loves learning tricks, she can smile with her lip, she can give a bow. there is something about her that I really, really love. She is the first horse that I feel like she is a part of my family. I really hope that she will hold up with her navicular for a while longer (she is 11 now)

Ambrey
Aug. 6, 2009, 02:32 AM
I managed to buy my dream horse but it took a while for us to develop an understanding :)

If it had to be a different horse, something built just like him, with his temperament, maybe about 4" shorter. And liver chestnut. A Welsh Cob :)

JEN22
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:27 PM
Ravel. no doubt.

toxicity
Aug. 6, 2009, 01:56 PM
My horse Halo is my dream horse. Like Dressage Art, I'm easy to please. He makes me feel truly happy and I love the damn horse more than life. That's enough for him to be my dream horse. He has the most beautiful, expressive eyes that always show happiness. I've never seen him sad or angry. Sometimes he gets frustrated when I ask him to stand still for clipping but he never gets angry. He loves life so much. I love that. Being schooled, jumping (especially cross-country!), racing with his field mates, going to shows and meeting all the new horses; he loves it all. When he sees me and he's hungry, he bites the air to signal for food. Such a dork. He doesn't stand still. Ever. Even during a four day horse show where he should be exhausted. He's extremely lazy undersaddle. Even though he has plenty of scope, he only lifts his legs just high enough to graze the poles of a 3' jump. I hate that. I could never do jumpers on him which is the only thing I want to do. He's never completely sound. We've spent thousands of dollars at the vet, chiropractor, accupuncture, NOTHING helps him because his problem isn't big enough to be treated. It's made me so frustrated that I've wanted to trade him for an older made jumper or a beautiful almost made hunter, both horses I ride and look much better on but I could never sell my horse. His future wouldn't be dictated by me which is something I couldn't handle and having him at the barn as a sale horse would make me so guilty. He makes me happy, which is really all I need. I don't know why he does though, he's such a s***head. :confused:

Dressage Art
Aug. 6, 2009, 03:01 PM
I could never sell my horse. His future wouldn't be dictated by me which is something I couldn't handle and having him at the barn as a sale horse would make me so guilty. He makes me happy, which is really all I need. I don't know why he does though, he's such a s***head. :confused:You like bad boyz may be? ;)