PDA

View Full Version : Where to find black leather foal halter, quickly?

Dressage_Diva333
Aug. 3, 2009, 02:21 PM
So I guess I waited too long to figure this out. On Friday evening I was searching the internet for nice black leather foal halters, and came across Quillan's. I had decided I call Monday (today), and order one. Well, it takes about two weeks to get a black on custom made. UGH. Inspection is in 7 days. I need a nice black leather halter for a 4 week old filly, and so far am having NO luck. Is it so much to ask to make foal halters in black?

RunningwaterWBs
Aug. 3, 2009, 02:37 PM
I ordered mine from Quillan's at the last minute for my last show. If you fill out the form and include the date you need it by, he may be able to do it, but you need to let him know that information asap. Try to call and talk to him. He closes by 5pm, though (maybe earlier?) so call early.

Once he knew when I needed the halter, he rushed the order and overnighted it to me. And it's a gorgeous halter! I ordered a matching lead too.

Too bad you're not closer; I'd be happy to lend you mine for your show.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 3, 2009, 03:39 PM
Mine are going in the Quillin's brown ones this year because I forgot to order their custom ones (oops).

http://quillin.com/jshop/product.php?xProd=964&xSec=30

If it is any consolation, the Quillin's sale halters are very beautiful. I prefer the black ones they have with the rolled nosebands, but their brown sale halter with regular noseband is very traditional and looks really nice. I know they have some brown ones in stock because I just spoke to them.

Tiki
Aug. 3, 2009, 04:14 PM
I've been taking mine in brown halters for years and I've never, ever had a judge even make a comment on the brown halters, never mind penalize me for it.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 3, 2009, 04:30 PM
I've been taking mine in brown halters for years and I've never, ever had a judge even make a comment on the brown halters, never mind penalize me for it.

I would be shocked if they had. They are very nice.

Indy-lou
Aug. 3, 2009, 09:57 PM
I have a gorgeous black Quillan foal halter with a brass plate on it that says "KWPN-NA". I will be attending my first AHS inpsection to have one of my KWPN mares inspected for AHS approval, and the foal by her side, hopefully, will then be registered with AHS. Do you think it would be a major, minor, or not at all faux pas to show up with this halter on the baby at an AHS inspection? Too late for me to order another one, but maybe I could remove the plate.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 3, 2009, 11:11 PM
I have a gorgeous black Quillan foal halter with a brass plate on it that says "KWPN-NA". I will be attending my first AHS inpsection to have one of my KWPN mares inspected for AHS approval, and the foal by her side, hopefully, will then be registered with AHS. Do you think it would be a major, minor, or not at all faux pas to show up with this halter on the baby at an AHS inspection? Too late for me to order another one, but maybe I could remove the plate.

A local tack shop might be able to remove it and even replace it for you. I personally would not worry about it; I doubt they would even notice, and if they do, they probably will just think you received it as a prize.

jwsporthorses
Aug. 4, 2009, 12:26 AM
I was in the same position before, I ended up buying a couple of beautiful "Tory" rolled black leather halters made to fit an Arab yearling. I use them on my warmblood weanlings and they work great and are very pretty. I also bought the matching rolled lead. You could probably get them in 2 days.

www.horseloverz.com/TORY-LEATHER-Halter-w-Rolled-Nose,-Cheeks-Throat-pr-191027.html

Kyzteke
Aug. 4, 2009, 01:59 PM
I would be shocked if they had. They are very nice.

Geeze guys -- if those inspectors are looking at your halters either they aren't much in the way of horsemen or the foals aren't much in the way of horses :lol:

I take mine in nylon halters -- one year the only one I had that fit this black & white colt (Sempatico foal) was PURPLE!!!

I did the walk of shame while standing that foal for inspection, but the inspector never seemed to notice. Foal won his inspection & was graded Gold Premium...finished in the Top 20 of the nation that year.

Take what you've got that fits...it won't affect the foals score, I'm sure.

Dressage_Diva333
Aug. 4, 2009, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone!

This filly is actually only 3 weeks old (will be 4 weeks on Inspection day). My friend is allowing me to use her black Tory halter for the colt I'm taking, but it's weanling size (good thing he's a BIG two month old!). It just hangs off this little girl, who's got a fairly typey head too. She definately needs a suckling halter. I've actually got the Arab yearling rolled halter mentioned above, I use it for my stallion :yes:

I wonder if a mini halter would fit her? Anyone ever gone that route? Might be easier to find a black in a mini-halter. I just can't believe it's so diffucult to find one! I've been searching just about every tack shop on google to find one, with absolutly no luck.

dbts
Aug. 4, 2009, 08:43 PM
I believe I have exactly what you are looking for, including matching lead. Please email or call me. I also emailed you directly.

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 4, 2009, 11:27 PM
Does the Tory Halter come in weanling size? My kids have little heads. The Quillin in size small is big for them - though I can make it work if I have to.

Kyzteke - I am a former fashion designer and my sister currently is one. I occasionally have bad flashbacks ;).

Dressage_Diva333
Aug. 5, 2009, 01:39 AM
I wasn't able to find the rolled Tory halter in weanling size :( I don't believe they make a suckling size either, I've searched high and low for one. I even asked my local tack store if they could order one (even a non-rolled Tory, like the one my friend is lending me, in suckling size), and they said no.

Dressage (Pea)Nut
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:02 AM
Is it so much to ask to make foal halters in black?

I totally sympathize! :( And I had even more trouble because I was looking for a PONY foal size halter in black! Don't know if it helps, but I got mine (kind of a cheapy one, but it looked good and the fit was acceptable) from Skyline Equine - http://www.skylineequine.com/products/halters_leads01.html
I don't know where you are, or how fast they ship, but it's worth a try!
Next time I'm going to go to my local tack repair shop and have them make a nice one for me in black! ;)

YankeeLawyer
Aug. 5, 2009, 03:05 AM
I totally sympathize! :( And I had even more trouble because I was looking for a PONY foal size halter in black! Don't know if it helps, but I got mine (kind of a cheapy one, but it looked good and the fit was acceptable) from Skyline Equine - http://www.skylineequine.com/products/halters_leads01.html
I don't know where you are, or how fast they ship, but it's worth a try!
Next time I'm going to go to my local tack repair shop and have them make a nice one for me in black! ;)

I am not letting my filly see that Swarovski halter ;)

Fairview Horse Center
Aug. 5, 2009, 11:18 AM
The KWPN-NA used to market a lovely black leather foal halter, but I don't see it on their website. Maybe call and ask them?

Dressage_Diva333
Aug. 5, 2009, 04:15 PM
Well I broke down and bought a brown one :( Oh well, I guess I shouldn't stress over it too badly. I've heard that they are such great quality, that I hope it's worth it. Next year I'll definately buy in advance!

winsmorefarm
Aug. 9, 2009, 01:32 PM
I realize that this won't help out for this time, BUT for next year. I highly recommend Coopermill Harness. They make excellent custom halters for any size. You send in measurements and they make it with allowing for growing room. I have had two made and have been able to use them on several foals - they look just like new (I purchased mine five years ago).

www.coopermillharness.com (I purchased the rolled leather in black - filly halter)

I dress mine up with custom browbands - www.equesport.com (They will custom size a browband IF you give them the EXACT measurement - I got the measurement from Coopermill for the browband).

Excellent craftsmanship on the browbands - again, I've had mine for five years and they both look like new. I had two made - one for mare and one
for baby. The adult size one also works on two-years olds and up.

Diva - let me know where you're going (as I believe you're not too far from me) and when, perhaps I'll meet you there and bring my halters for you to use (if they fit). Let me know.